PDA

View Full Version : Macs too hip for PC users?

MacBytes
Sep 26, 2006, 02:36 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Macs too hip for PC users? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060926153640)
Description:: I've discovered why Apple isn ít expanding in popularity in the computer department. My mom explains.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

mkrishnan
Sep 26, 2006, 02:52 PM
I think there is some validity to this point. Although I have mixed feelings about the antagonism. I will admit that there is some amount of elitism in my buying decisions, particularly for anything in which style is a variable. And there are certain people who, were they to become Mac users, would turn me off to the platform. And I in turn no doubt turn some people off. I dunno... I guess I can live with that. But then I'm not one of those people who particularly feels a pressure to see Apple gain a huge marketshare number.

BenRoethig
Sep 26, 2006, 04:57 PM
When you put up arrogant ads and your consumer "desktop" line is made from laptop parts, you're not going to expand your base. Apple keeps putting out amazing products, but they also show a complete lack of understanding of anyone who is not a hardcore mac user.

marquitin
Sep 26, 2006, 05:18 PM
The mom's question is valid... "Don't macs do spreadsheets?" http://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/eek.gif The ad implies that they don't. Dumb implication. There needs to be an ad where the PC guy tries to show off what he does best (Word, Excel, etc.) and the Mac guy does them just as well or better... PLUS some other cool out-of-the-box stuff.

Compatiblepoker
Sep 26, 2006, 05:25 PM
When you put up arrogant ads and your consumer "desktop" line is made from laptop parts, you're not going to expand your base. Apple keeps putting out amazing products, but they also show a complete lack of understanding of anyone who is not a hardcore mac user.

Well said. You don't make friends by sticking them into the side. They're just making enemies imo. It's like watching politics fight. It doesnt help your brand by putting someone else down. It may make someone else look bad but in the end does it help your company?

BenRoethig
Sep 26, 2006, 05:32 PM
The mom's question is valid... "Don't macs do spreadsheets?" http://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/eek.gif The ad implies that they don't. Dumb implication. There needs to be an ad where the PC guy tries to show off what he does best (Word, Excel, etc.) and the Mac guy does them just as well or better... PLUS some other cool out-of-the-box stuff.

You might want to leave games and DVD burning out of that ad. The lack of titles and the slow notebook drives won't make the Mac look very good. To paraphrase Yamamoto, I fear these ads will awake a sleeping giant.

thugpoet22
Sep 26, 2006, 05:58 PM
You might want to leave games and DVD burning out of that ad. The lack of titles and the slow notebook drives won't make the Mac look very good. To paraphrase Yamamoto, I fear these ads will awake a sleeping giant.

They could show that feature off if they used the mac pro. Just the processing power and the amount of memory that thing can take is almost unreal That computer is a monster. Maybe apple could illustrate it in such a way. Maybe a monster with glasses thats doing something pro'ish and then show a smaller monster trying to keep up LOL. Something like that in the next add would be cool, the mac pro needs air time as well. But the thing is that most users are pro users. So it might not reach incourage the average joe to buy the power mac.

I totally agree with the last part of the quote.

clayj
Sep 26, 2006, 05:58 PM
The mom's question is valid... "Don't macs do spreadsheets?" http://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/eek.gif The ad implies that they don't. Dumb implication. There needs to be an ad where the PC guy tries to show off what he does best (Word, Excel, etc.) and the Mac guy does them just as well or better... PLUS some other cool out-of-the-box stuff.Hate to break this to you, but Macs do NOT do some things (esp. spreadsheets and games) better than PCs. Excel for Windows kicks Excel for the Mac's ass six ways to Sunday... and as someone who used to support Excel when I worked at Microsoft, I should know.

One part of the problem is that a lot of people still want to stick with Windows, since it's what they're used to using and it's what their family, friends, and businesses use. And even though the new Macs can all run Windows, they don't come with Windows installed... a lot of casual users aren't up to the task of buying a Mac, installing Boot Camp, and then installing Windows (which they'd have to buy separately).

srf4real
Sep 26, 2006, 06:10 PM
I don't think insulting potential switchers is good advertising, even if macs are too hip for pc users. That's our little secret.:cool:

"Humility = not bragging about how great you are." lol

BenRoethig
Sep 26, 2006, 06:33 PM
They could show that feature off if they used the mac pro. Just the processing power and the amount of memory that thing can take is almost unreal That computer is a monster. Maybe apple could illustrate it in such a way. Maybe a monster with glasses thats doing something pro'ish and then show a smaller monster trying to keep up LOL. Something like that in the next add would be cool, the mac pro needs air time as well. But the thing is that most users are pro users. So it might not reach incourage the average joe to buy the power mac.

I totally agree with the last part of the quote.

"Mac: On the Mac platform we require that spend $2200 on a professional xeon workstation to get a full size optical drive or play games.
PC: Oh really, I have Core 2 Duo desktops that do the same thing without the workstation price tag."

Believe me you don't want this ad. It'll help Dell and HP more than Apple.

Mainyehc
Sep 26, 2006, 09:18 PM
The mom's question is valid... "Don't macs do spreadsheets?" :eek: The ad implies that they don't. Dumb implication. There needs to be an ad where the PC guy tries to show off what he does best (Word, Excel, etc.) and the Mac guy does them just as well or better... PLUS some other cool out-of-the-box stuff.

There are some of those, already... check them on www.apple.com/getamac/ads or the new ones on http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/09/20060922114922.shtml ...

cwtnospam
Sep 26, 2006, 09:58 PM
Excel for Windows kicks Excel for the Mac's ass six ways to Sunday... and as someone who used to support Excel when I worked at Microsoft, I should know.
Name one. :rolleyes:

A spreadsheet is a spreadsheet, with the exception that the PC version looks amateurish with its clunky PC interface.

dsnort
Sep 26, 2006, 10:31 PM
"Mac: On the Mac platform we require that spend $2200 on a professional xeon workstation to get a full size optical drive or play games.
PC: Oh really, I have Core 2 Duo desktops that do the same thing without the workstation price tag."

Believe me you don't want this ad. It'll help Dell and HP more than Apple.

What exactly is an optical drive, and why would I want one?

BenRoethig
Sep 26, 2006, 11:14 PM
Optical= the family of disks that CDs and DVDs belong to. Why do you want one? Floppies have been out of use for a decade or so.

ViveLeLivre
Sep 27, 2006, 01:40 AM
The article makes a good point, but it's paranoid thinking. Apple has nowhere near the market share it needs to start appealing to the lowest common denominator yet.

Sure, some viewers with PC's might get annoyed, but I'm willing to bet a great number of them are being converted as well. In five years, nobody will remember that Apple slammed Microsoft with facts. Let them run a politically correct campaign then.

And just how can Apple possibly sell a computer to a PC user without pointing out Microsoft is crap? Security, stability, multimedia... that's all legit. The commercials do acknowledge that PC's are better business machines, and not begrudgingly.

Granted, they might be pushing the envelope lately with commercials like the "let me just lay here and depreciate" ads, but they hardly call PC owners idiots.

Is it elitist to point out that spreadsheets aren't fun?

BrianSalts
Sep 27, 2006, 06:20 AM
Im was originally afraid of getting a mac because of all the attention I would be getting by carrying a stylized black notebook with a giant white apple on the top.

Apple makes their products seem so exclusive- even though it is meant for the masses.

There is just some sort of "i'm in the club" feeling with a mac- many pc users don't want to get it for fear of being discriminated (negative attention) or distracted (positive attention)

dsnort
Sep 27, 2006, 06:43 AM
Optical= the family of disks that CDs and DVDs belong to. Why do you want one? Floppies have been out of use for a decade or so.

Well shoot. My iMac has one of those, works great!

BenRoethig
Sep 27, 2006, 06:55 AM
Well shoot. My iMac has one of those, works great!

But a 16x desktop model is going to work much better. Most PCs have those and the notebook drives are going to seem slow to switchers.

gauchogolfer
Sep 27, 2006, 07:12 AM

I disagree with the implication here; the 'average user' has NO idea what kind of parts are inside their desktop (or laptop, for that matter). Giving customers a stylish, easy-to-use solution to their computing needs is what is important for expanding the base. Does anyone (apart from the 'hardcore' user) really care, at the end of the day, what technology is in any product they use, as long as it is effective for what they need?

What kind of chips does your mobile phone use? How about your wireless router, what networking protocols are used? Can you name all of the telecom standards that apply? I doubt that anyone here really cares about the route taken, it's all about results. In this case, Apple delivers for me, and for millions of people.

dsnort
Sep 27, 2006, 07:29 AM
But a 16x desktop model is going to work much better. Most PCs have those and the notebook drives are going to seem slow to switchers.

Well a faster CD drive would be cool! I could use the time saved burning that 1 to 2 disks a week to update my anti-virus, scan for spyware, load drivers for my peripherals, read the manual to try resolve conflicts between apps......:D

Dont Hurt Me
Sep 27, 2006, 07:30 AM
Hip has little to do with it, I think its mostly ignorance to be blunt.

BenRoethig
Sep 27, 2006, 07:46 AM
I disagree with the implication here; the 'average user' has NO idea what kind of parts are inside their desktop (or laptop, for that matter). Giving customers a stylish, easy-to-use solution to their computing needs is what is important for expanding the base. Does anyone (apart from the 'hardcore' user) really care, at the end of the day, what technology is in any product they use, as long as it is effective for what they need?

What kind of chips does your mobile phone use? How about your wireless router, what networking protocols are used? Can you name all of the telecom standards that apply? I doubt that anyone here really cares about the route taken, it's all about results. In this case, Apple delivers for me, and for millions of people.

The basic user might not, but the puppeteer pulling their purchasing strings has a pretty good idea. The PC side is a lot smarter than you give it credit.

Hip has little to do with it, I think its mostly ignorance to be blunt.

Unfortunately, a lot of its coming fromt he Mac side.

lmalave
Sep 27, 2006, 10:30 AM
The article makes a good point, but it's paranoid thinking. Apple has nowhere near the market share it needs to start appealing to the lowest common denominator yet.

Sure, some viewers with PC's might get annoyed, but I'm willing to bet a great number of them are being converted as well. In five years, nobody will remember that Apple slammed Microsoft with facts. Let them run a politically correct campaign then.

And just how can Apple possibly sell a computer to a PC user without pointing out Microsoft is crap? Security, stability, multimedia... that's all legit. The commercials do acknowledge that PC's are better business machines, and not begrudgingly.

Granted, they might be pushing the envelope lately with commercials like the "let me just lay here and depreciate" ads, but they hardly call PC owners idiots.

Is it elitist to point out that spreadsheets aren't fun?

The ads are still crap and a big waste of money, though. They could be marketing the Macs so much better. I mean, the things practically sell themeselves!!! How can you have a Mac ad that doesn't even show what the MacBooks, iMacs, etc. look like!!! That's supposed to be a big advantage for Macs, no? Here are the kind of things that apple should be striving to do in their ads in a creative and entertaining way:

1) Show the hardware (my MacBook and the G3 and G4 iBooks I've owned are still the best looking computers on the market, IMHO).
2) Show people using the software and HAVING fun (FrontRow, iChat, PhotoBooth, GarageBand, just to name a few). There's so much they can show here!!!
3) Show people actually going to the Apple Store and trying out the product. Research as shown that unlike Apple's crappy Mac ads, the Apple Store experience is actually effective in getting people to buy Macs, and is especially effective as a Switching tool. Using the Macs first-hand is what usually closes the sale, especially for people that have a vague notion of Macs and OSX, but haven't actually seen them for themselves...

Fender2112
Sep 29, 2006, 08:44 AM
Whether you like the ads or not is totally a matter of opinion. But based on the comments floating around, the adds ads have done their job. A lot of people a talking about the Mac. The more you hear about something, the more you think about.

BenRoethig
Sep 29, 2006, 09:15 AM
Whether you like the ads or not is totally a matter of opinion. But based on the comments floating around, the adds ads have done their job. A lot of people a talking about the Mac. The more you hear about something, the more you think about.

But it's not the kind of talk we want. The ads are great for the existing Mac base, but they really turn off potential switchers. They might actually help Micrsoft, Dell, and HP more than they do Apple.

nplima
Sep 29, 2006, 09:35 AM
But it's not the kind of talk we want

I like to think that these ads are a bit like Coca-Cola ads - they're not about how sugary or how bubbly the drink is. Another example: Vodafone is not advertizing how many bytes or in what format you can send the bytes across the network - they just show shiny happy people holding hands(tm) :D . They're not selling the device by showing specs and demonstrating step-by-step how to use it. they just try to sell the "lifestyle".

The same goes with Apple Macs. There's one huge competitor that is everywhere, most people who ever cared to use a computer will be familiar with the Wintel world. The secret to have these people switch camp is to show "it's just a computer, it allows YOU to do stuff with it.". As people realise that these devices are part of a "hip" culture, they'll consider getting one of them the next time their Wintel machine acts up on them .

jhande
Sep 29, 2006, 09:41 AM
Why not do a '2001: A Space Odyssey' type ad where a Mac Pro (or any other, for that matter, but probably best in the pro line) is the monolith, and good old 'Also sprach Zarathustra' as the sound track.

Maybe it has been done (somethings stirs in the dim mists of memory), but that type of ad has plenty of oompf, neh?

BenRoethig
Sep 29, 2006, 10:23 AM
I like to think that these ads are a bit like Coca-Cola ads - they're not about how sugary or how bubbly the drink is. Another example: Vodafone is not advertizing how many bytes or in what format you can send the bytes across the network - they just show shiny happy people holding hands(tm) :D . They're not selling the device by showing specs and demonstrating step-by-step how to use it. they just try to sell the "lifestyle".

The same goes with Apple Macs. There's one huge competitor that is everywhere, most people who ever cared to use a computer will be familiar with the Wintel world. The secret to have these people switch camp is to show "it's just a computer, it allows YOU to do stuff with it.". As people realise that these devices are part of a "hip" culture, they'll consider getting one of them the next time their Wintel machine acts up on them .

Not really the ads make them look like teenager machines that only do teenager things. Pretty much the computer counterpart to Tommy Hillfiger.

How about something like this:
For years people have been begging for a better PC.
[shows viruses, blue screen of death]
Wish granted
[shows iMac with Mac logo on scree.]