PDA

View Full Version : New Battery

maradong
Apr 5, 2003, 03:16 PM
Hi,
just asking my self the following.

As soon as I get my new Powerbook 12'' ( it is now ordered ) i ll do the normal updates, and so i will have to restart it.
But I always read that when you load the battery the first time, you should not take of the power supply as long as the battery is not fully loaded. Now, if I restart, will the loading continue normaly or will there be some problems? Under problems I understand that the Os will not "understand" what the real size of the battery ( actually an akku ) is. If so, I will not do any update in the first lets say 15 hours of charging.

TIA

physicsnerd
Apr 5, 2003, 08:26 PM
Here what you do:

1st plug in the powerbook before you turn it on

Honetly I usually restart when I'm 1st charging a laptop battery. I've never noticed any problems with doing it this way on non-macs. But when I got my 15" I wasn't near a 'net connection so I didn't update until after I had cycled the battery. I've heard of battery problems under 10.2.4 (but I haven't had any) so it might be a good idea to wait untill the battery is fully charged before you update anything. It certianlly won't hurt anything to wait to install the updates. It only takes a couple of hours to fully charge, not 15. So, just to be absolutely safe I'm listing this as second:

2nd Wait till the battery is fully charged. (there's a meter on the top left corner which lists either time remaning till charged or a percent)

3rd Intall the updates and do all the restarts

4th Remove the powerbook from AC and let the battery drain until it tells you to plug it in. I like to stick in a DVD so I can watch a movie while I'm waiting for it to decharge. The DVD is of course optional, but it helps drain it faster.

5th Once the battery is drained plug the AC adapter in again, and fully charge the battery.

6th Congradulations you've just cycled your battery. Enjoy your new powermac!

If you have any more questions let us know,

physicsnerd

maradong
Apr 6, 2003, 01:05 AM
Thank you, I ll do it exactly as you told me :)
But still one week to go. Argh :)

physicsnerd
Apr 6, 2003, 01:36 AM
note that I edited my post, I had a typo in line 4 saying recharge not decharge. fixed. So there's no confusion the AC should NOT be used at all in step 4.

hope I didn't confuse you,

physicsnerd

maradong
Apr 6, 2003, 05:27 AM
Nope,
i didn t even notice the typo, interpreted it the right way :)