PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with G5 iMac.

amf666
Sep 26, 2006, 05:48 PM
Hi folks. Posting this message on behalf of a friend of mine due to the fact that his iMac is now DEAD. It's a G5 20" 2.0ghz machine and is 15 months old approx. He was running something or other, nothing very taxing, when the computer unexpectedly shut down. He restarted it and within a few mins it shutdown again. He restarted it again and used it fine for a couple of hours, shut it down and went to bed. Came to it the next day and nothing. No noise, no lights, nothing. He dropped it off at a local authorised dealer and they thought it was either going to be the power supply (100 to fix) or the main board (600 to fix). Sure enough he got the call and it's the logic board thats gone. He doesnt have applecare unfortunately but decided to try his luck and contact apple anyway. Needless to say, they weren't in the least interested and told him he'd either have to foot the bill or toss the machine in the bin. 600 to fix one of these is appauling and more than the machine itself is worth but the options are limited. Has anyone else experienced anything like this and if so are there places to get the machines fixed cheaper? I know this goes to show that it's a good idea to stump up the extra cash initially for applecare but 1200 (the price when new) seems pretty bad for 15 months computing and has really put me off recommending iMacs to anyone else. The days when I can construct my own computer with my own components and run OS X on it, and repair it myself cant come soon enough if this is how it's going.

Eidorian
Sep 26, 2006, 05:49 PM
http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

Your "mileage" may vary.

dcv
Sep 26, 2006, 05:54 PM
Sorry, sounds like a fried logic board. I have the same issue but thankfully still under warranty (also a 2.0GHz 20" iMac).

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

^ No that doesn't cover Revision B (i.e. 2.0GHz) iMacs.

beatsme
Sep 26, 2006, 06:00 PM
Sorry, sounds like a fried logic board. I have the same issue but thankfully still under warranty (also a 2.0GHz 20" iMac).

^ No that doesn't cover Revision B (i.e. 2.0GHz) iMacs.

yup...had this problem at the office where I worked. Had to replace the logic board. It cost a fortune and it totally sucked, but at least I didn't personally have to pay for it :o

ripfrankwhite
Sep 27, 2006, 01:20 PM
That's too bad. But next time just get Applecare. It is SO worth it. I always get it. Especially on high-dollar items.

Dont Hurt Me
Sep 27, 2006, 01:28 PM
Those G5s sure have pretty poor track record if you ask me, and just 15 months old. Though its out of warranty there have been many G5 power supply and board problems. With all the problems with those G5 iMacs I wouldnt be surprised to see some type of class action suite heading Apples way. There was a site you could go to that had lots of these types of problems that owners had posted though I can remember where? XL8yourmac?

iGav
Sep 27, 2006, 01:52 PM
Just get him to get it repaired/replaced on his homes and contents insurance.

N10248
Sep 27, 2006, 02:04 PM
Your the second person today with a messed up iMac G5 power supply...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2886789

if you can't get a new PSU free from applecare they are about 160 from an autherised reseller, thats what i had to pay :mad:

also worth metioning is the replacement PSU they supply does not have the Ambient Light Sensor attached, you have to break the one off of your existing PSU and put it on the new one.

bye