PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Hub Like This Around???

coopdog
Apr 5, 2003, 08:04 PM
What im trying to do is use one USB keyboard and one USB mouse to control 2 computers. Right! I should get a KVM, but the computers each have there own screen. I need a fast way to switch between using my Mac and PC on one keyboard and one mouse.

Imput: 2 flat USB or some kind of adapter to make it into one. Maybe a 2 port usb hub to 2 port USB switch??? BUT! Then you run into USB power problems right? So the hubs would need DC power not run off USB power alone.

Output: 2 USB cables to go to each comp.

Thanks for your help. I spent ALL of today looking for comp tables w/ 2 keyboard trays, when I came up with this idea. So If i can do something like above, it will determine a lot of things maybe even if I get a new computer... Thanks Again!!!

beatle888
Apr 5, 2003, 08:32 PM
can you use one of those switch boxes that let you hook up the keyboard mouse and monitor to control two computers but just dont plug in a monitor to the switch box since the computers each have their own?

boskie
Apr 5, 2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by beatle888
can you use one of those switch boxes that let you hook up the keyboard mouse and monitor to control two computers but just dont plug in a monitor to the switch box since the computers each have their own?

with good advice like this and this KVM switcher (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1316), it looks like your could be on the way to adding another comp to the MR Folding@home effort;)

Hemingray
Apr 5, 2003, 08:43 PM
I have my grandmother set-up that exact way: two cpu's, two monitors, one keyboard and one mouse. They're both PCs, but I assume your situation would work the same way. Just keep the monitors hooked up directly to the cpu's but route the mouse and keyboards in through the KVM.

cubist
Apr 5, 2003, 10:07 PM
Iogear sells inexpensive devices to do things like this.

coopdog
Apr 5, 2003, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys... I was looking at KVMs and almost all only supported PS2 keyboards and mice or had hardly any USB support. I just found a KVM that will do the JOB! Yea!

The KVM (http://www.42u.com/iogear-gcs102u.htm)

EDIT:
I just found this review. A guy using X and PC on it (I would be) and he had some problems is this a mac OS problem or the switch... I don't want to have to bypass the switch just to wake Jaguar up from sleep.

" This is one of the best values I've found lately. Works great for the most part. The problems that I've encountered weren't really the fault of the switch. Windows 2000: Works great no problems. It was recognized even when OS went into Stand By mode. Mac OSX 10.1.1 - 10.1.2: Mouse and keyboard where lost every once in while when switching back. I think the problem was due to the computer going to sleep while the other computer was active on the switch. They weren't (re)recognized in sleep mode and a manual restart was needed. It could have been something else, but tuning off sleep mode in the Energy Saver System Preferences fixed the problem."

" The only problem I had was that both PC operating systems would lose scroll-wheel support the first time I switched back from the Mac after a restart. Restart the PC and support comes back."

This would be annoying do you think XP would fix this problem or is it the hub? Thanks for your time!