Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a Digg.com story, Apple has seeded OS 10.4.8 Build 8L2125 to developers. According to the poster (named "appledev"), no significant issues remain which could indicate a release within days.

The Intel Version weighs in at 206 MB, with the PowerPC Version weighing in at a significantly less 30.8 MB. Previous rumors indicated significant work was being done on Rosetta, which could explain the substantial size difference (although Intel versions have typically been larger, as Mac OS 10.4.7, released in June, was 133 MB Intel and 64 MB PPC). Other previous (unconfirmed) rumors have indicated that, among other enhancements and bug fixes, OpenGL may have also seen performance improvements.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
I'm hoping to see those OpenGL improvements significantly boost my Quake 1 fps on my MacBook.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yep, sounds good. I likes me some OS updates.

Rack up another one (10.4.9) in December followed by another just before Leopard (10.4.10) and I reckon we'd be done.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
Kernow said:
I hope so, 10.4.7 is still the prime suspect for breaking my Firewire audio interface.

im not to fond of 10.4.7 either. i think 10.3.7 was when my G5 crashed and i had to re-install OS X :eek: when 10.5.7 rolls around, i think ill skip it.

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Fiveos22 said:
I'm hoping to see those OpenGL improvements significantly boost my Quake 1 fps on my MacBook.

I doubt a software update can magically change your crappy Intel 950 in to a worthwhile GPU.

I keep waiting for one of these updates to properly clock the MacBook Pro's GPU. Now that is ridiculous.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
A developer friend of mine tried to download the previous dev release for my system (iMac G5), but it wouldn't install right for some reason. It would hang on restart. I had to re-install from the CD and re-update everything. Even tried disabling all my hacks and startup items, but it just did it again. I believe it was the combo version (2117 I think). I'm thinking it didn't get download right or something though, because he was able to get it working on his (Intel and PPC), a friend of our's (dual G5 PowerMac), and my Mother's (Intel mini). Hoping the new one works better, but if not, at least I know how to fix it. :rolleyes: When it works though, it's fast. Real fast.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Fiveos22 said:

I think you probably should have gotten a machine with a graphics card if you wanted to play 3d games.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
From Digg:

10.4.8 Build 8L2125 Seeded to select & prem devs today, and has no know issues. This means Apple plans to release it in the wild witin the next few days. Intel Version 206mb (mostly rosetta) PowerPC Version 30.8mb. NOT LIVE YET, For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n304200

To note, the KB article doesn't exist.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
solvs said:
If he gets me a seed account, do I have to stop posting here? Cuz that would suck. A lot.

You don't have to stop posting in general. Only about stuff you download or read on ADC.

I'm going to predict a Friday release, to coincide with Aperture 1.5.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I expect that 10.4.8 will be required for Aperture 1.5 (as OS updates are normally required to add RAW support for new cameras). A post on another forum (arstechnicas iirc) by someone who was at Photokina and had talked to someone from Apple said that Aperture 1.5 was scheduled to be available for download at the end of the show (October 1st)...

nw_mike

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2003
Northwest, USA
Re: If he gets me a seed account, do I have to stop posting here?

Apple has periods in which they allow people to apply for AppleSeed accounts. The purpose is to help them test their OS updates and releases in environments they are not able to replicate themselves. To this end I am not sure how your friend can 'get' you a seed account, legitimately. if you go the AppleSeed page you are generally greeted with the message

"We are not seeking new participants. You must have an invitation in order to log in."

That being said, anything relating to the seeds you would download are covered by NDA (non-disclosure agreement) and are legally binding. So your answer would be you cannot, legally, talk about those issues in any other forum then the one they provide.

tmphoto

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
I hope it fixes the USB connection to Canon cameras. They broke it with 10.4.7. I'm still booting from my portable backup drive when shooting tethered (looks really pro on location).
I dread the going-backwards-sytem-reinstall BS tho, so that's what I have been doing.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
io_burn said:
I doubt a software update can magically change your crappy Intel 950 in to a worthwhile GPU.

Of course not. But it could allow multi-core support in OpenGL, which would be dandy and, yes, would affect performance even on integrated graphics systems.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
tmphoto said:
I hope it fixes the USB connection to Canon cameras. They broke it with 10.4.7. I'm still booting from my portable backup drive when shooting tethered (looks really pro on location).
I dread the going-backwards-sytem-reinstall BS tho, so that's what I have been doing.

My EOS 400D works fine (in tethered mode as well as just transfering from the memory card)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.