Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wschwisow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Hello:

I recently purchased an 80GB firewire external drive, and have started importing clips to make a soccer video for my daughter. I saved the iMovie file to the external, since it has lots of room and my hard drive doesn't. When I was done, I went to the folder on the external, and the iMovie project file was there, but that's all. No support files. I know iMovie uses reference files to the original imported clips. I went to the "users" folder on my hard drive and looked in the "movies" folder (thinking it must be the default location), but the clips weren't there either. I couldn't find a preference for where I want to save everything, so where might they be? I'm thinking the original clips are now taking space on my internal somewhere, and I want them on the external.

Thanks for your help!

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
wschwisow said:
Hello:

I recently purchased an 80GB firewire external drive, and have started importing clips to make a soccer video for my daughter. I saved the iMovie file to the external, since it has lots of room and my hard drive doesn't. When I was done, I went to the folder on the external, and the iMovie project file was there, but that's all. No support files. I know iMovie uses reference files to the original imported clips. I went to the "users" folder on my hard drive and looked in the "movies" folder (thinking it must be the default location), but the clips weren't there either. I couldn't find a preference for where I want to save everything, so where might they be? I'm thinking the original clips are now taking space on my internal somewhere, and I want them on the external.

Thanks for your help!

iMovie actually stores the video clips within the project file. The project file itself it actually a "package" -- essentially, a folder that you can't just double-click to open. If you control-click the project file, then click "Show Package Contents," the package will open up, allowing you to access the clip files.

Hope this helps! :)

wschwisow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Wow, I had no idea. I guess I should have checked the project files size. Now I don't need to go searching on my local drive.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.