PDA

View Full Version : Deleting an icon in Vista.

nitynate
Sep 27, 2006, 02:39 PM
Is more difficult than I thought it would be.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/06/vistadeletelarge.jpg

bearbo
Sep 27, 2006, 02:47 PM

or you could shift+delete... that will elimiate .. i dont konw, a couple steps?

Killyp
Sep 27, 2006, 02:50 PM
That's because Windows vista is rubbish isn't it? I saw a Beta running on a friend's computer, terrible, terrible design, slow, poor feature count, unstable and it's got a stupid name...

bearbo
Sep 27, 2006, 03:00 PM
That's because Windows vista is rubbish isn't it? I saw a Beta running on a friend's computer, terrible, terrible design, slow, poor feature count, unstable and it's got a stupid name...
rubbish... i wouldn't call it rubbish
terrible... you already used up your generalization term, now terrible how?
terrible design... the design is not bad, it might not be your taste, but i certainly wouldn't call it terrible, mr. fanboy
slow... i run vista on my mbp, it's very snappy
poor feature... well, this one is tough, windows, unlike os x, tend to be a OS that isn't integrated with many small features like OS X, but it has its own advantage.
unstable... you are looking at a beta version, and unstable how?
stupid name... HAHAHAHA... i'll just leave it like that

backsidetailsli
Sep 27, 2006, 03:04 PM
im not surprised

nitynate
Sep 27, 2006, 03:26 PM
I love fanboys...

They are so......

I dont know.
It's just great. :p

Me1000
Sep 27, 2006, 03:42 PM
I love microsh*t lover!

*NOT REALLY*

It doesnt surprise me that VISTA sucks!

Ive used the beta on 4 computers now, and its ran slow on each one, and i have yet to see "Areo" M$ pisses me off!!!!!

bearbo
Sep 27, 2006, 03:47 PM
I love microsh*t lover!

*NOT REALLY*

It doesnt surprise me that VISTA sucks!

Ive used the beta on 4 computers now, and its ran slow on each one, and i have yet to see "Areo" M$ pisses me off!!!!!

have you tried something OTHER than beta?
if you haven't seen Aero, it only proves how crappy your machine is, who are you to complain...

nitynate
Sep 27, 2006, 03:55 PM
if you haven't seen Aero, it only proves how crappy your machine is, who are you to complain...
They are all in beta.

:rolleyes:

Shotglass
Sep 27, 2006, 04:06 PM
Guys, don't fight please. We all know for a fact that Microsoft will have to work very hard to get any intelligent Mac user to use it. So quit calling people fanboys and face the facts.

rodpascoe
Sep 27, 2006, 04:08 PM

I've been testing VISTA for some time now on a range of kit, Apple and other makes and :-

Terrible - your opinion mate, not millions of others though....
Terrible design - Um, no, actually it's quite good
Slow, faster than OSX I'm afraid and I'm a real MAChead
Poor feature count - you don't have Vista, have seen it only on your mates machine..... look again
Unstable - pretty stable for a BETA
It's got a stupid name - You really should get out more.....

greatdevourer
Sep 27, 2006, 04:08 PM
if you haven't seen Aero, it only proves how crappy your machine is, who are you to complain... Have you?

bearbo
Sep 27, 2006, 04:23 PM
They are all in beta.

RC-1 isn't beta, per se

Have you?

matter of fact, i have, i have tested all the built i can get my hands on, that is beta-2, pre-RC1, RC1 and.. well, the one just came out that came out after RC1... each of them is slightly better than the previous one.. sure they still have slight problem, but who doesnt, even OS X has.

I can get aero to work just fine, whether i like it or not is another story, it most definitely is not horrible. and it's actually a quite impress system (and no, not just for MS, MS is a nice company.)

do you have something against vista, or just MS?

and apparently those bashing against vista harshly ARE fanboys, i mean, using "rubbish" and "terrible"? that's very biased opinion.

nitynate
Sep 27, 2006, 04:27 PM
RC-1 isn't beta, per se
You mean it is possible they try to sell that non-sense for money?

Me1000
Sep 27, 2006, 04:34 PM
Like he said they are ALL beta's!!!

and im pretty sure Areo is all in the graphics card, and if there is one thing I have in my PC's its a graphics card, but each are about 3 years old! you cant tell me that a top of the line ATI graphics card form 3 years ago is obsolete!!!! Plus I tried it on a Brand New Dell laptop, that had "Vista Compatible" on the designed for XP sticker.

It was really F'd up there!
every time i tried to access the control panel it locked up my explorer.

and i love how you called my computer sucky! :rolleyes: (very mature)

As for speed. Im pretty sure Tiger is a lot faster than VISTA!

Im running a 400 MHz Mac and its not amazing but its very usable, lets see XP even touch that, let alone visa!

Chrispy
Sep 27, 2006, 04:37 PM
Release Candidate 1 is no longer considered a "Beta" version as it is a pre-release build. It is still not to be sold for profit but is supposed to be as close to the final product as it gets.

I ran RC-1 on a desktop I built and will run it on my 20" iMac via bootcamp. I think it is a pretty good OS. Not as good as OSX obviously since I bought a mac but still not bad.

ITASOR
Sep 27, 2006, 05:07 PM
Um, not all shortcuts are going to be installed as SYSTEM level files, so they would be a lot easier to delete. Whoever made this just wasted a lot of time and everyone else's time. :)

Chrispy
Sep 27, 2006, 06:14 PM
Um, not all shortcuts are going to be installed as SYSTEM level files, so they would be a lot easier to delete. Whoever made this just wasted a lot of time and everyone else's time. :)

Haha.. well stated. I used vista and never had that happen in RC1. I have to admit, Beta 2 was total crap but RC1 has been rock freakin' solid. Much unlike my 20" imac which came today with a dead pixel, detached screen from frame and bad backlighting... it is going back.

EDIT: Another one just went out near the middle of the screen... that makes two now!

timnosenzo
Sep 27, 2006, 06:27 PM

that's hilarious. and I love how people get so defensive of it--a lot of emotional folks here over a harmless windows ribbing... :D

Killyp
Sep 28, 2006, 01:14 AM
Hey the computer I saw it running on was an AMD64 machine, and yes it WAS the 32 bit version of Vista running. Every time we tried to install drivers (which were supposedly 'Vista friendly') for the graphics card it would crash, it gave a RSOD about 30 minutes after starting up and the soundcard wouldn't always fire up properly. It wasn't a problem with the computer as it ran absolutely fine in XP.

It was also incredibly slow. For example it always moves things about on the HDD to make the programs you use most often on the fastest part of the HDD. What happens if you're like me and get very short power cuts every day? Your hard drive gets knackered that's what...

pknz
Sep 28, 2006, 01:37 AM
Slow, faster than OSX I'm afraid and I'm a real MAChead

Uh huh, your a 'MAChead' interesting I would have thought 'MACheads' would have to learn to use the correct case for 'Mac'

apfhex
Sep 28, 2006, 03:13 AM
Every time we tried to install drivers (which were supposedly 'Vista friendly') for the graphics card it would crash
Probably gonna take a while for actual GOOD drivers to come out like it did for XP. This is still pre-release software.

For example it always moves things about on the HDD to make the programs you use most often on the fastest part of the HDD. What happens if you're like me and get very short power cuts every day? Your hard drive gets knackered that's what...
Doesn't OS X do something similar with most often accessed files? If you're getting power cuts every day it's probably a good idea to invest in a UPS. That's not exactly normal operating conditions for most people...

Now I'm not defending Vista; I thought the OP was amusing, albeit a Worst Case Scenario. But you know, the same thing in OS X is a lot simpler (don't have permission to delete a file? OS X will ask you for your admin password immediately, and it's never ever gonna be owned by root — isn't SYSTEM like root? — unless you've been messing around). At least, that's been my experience.

SpookTheHamster
Sep 28, 2006, 04:47 AM
This is bull, to delete an icon in Vista you just press the 'Delete' button and 'Y'. Even system icons, you can delete the Recycle Bin (something you couldn't do in XP without TweakUI).

I don't mind Vista, I don't see any major bonuses over XP (and definitely not OS X), though.

Chrispy
Sep 28, 2006, 09:03 AM
I think Vista is taking a lot of heat lately and people are forgetting it is still a pre-release. I was running RC1 64 bit edition on a Core 2 Duo processor system and it ran smooth as silk. About every 3rd or 4th time I started the computer I would get a graphics glitch on startup. Restarting the computer fixed the problem and it never happened after initial startup either. The computer was very very fast and extremely stable. I only had one app crash the entire 3 weeks or so I used it. I will be using it again next week when my new computer parts arrive. However, I will admit it is not nearly as refined as OSX and it did steal a lot of stuff straight out of Steve Job's hands lol!

ReanimationLP
Sep 28, 2006, 06:00 PM
Yeah.. If you disable UMC, it takes it down to 3 steps.

iJawn108
Sep 28, 2006, 06:32 PM
shift+delete <333333333