Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
I'm really liking the look of a 12" Powerbook for school (Even though I'm sure my mom wouldn't let me have one) with it's light weight, relatively high power, and reliability compared to the Intel 'books. About how much are they worth now and are they a good buy?

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I have a flawless (I'm kind of a huge Mac nerd, so I keep everything perfect) one that I'll be selling in May because I need a machine that can run Windows. I personally do not know the exact value, but if you're looking for one, I can tell you that you're not going to find one as clean and functional as mine anymore. Also, I'll include the discs for Macromedia Studio MX 2004, which is already installed. There's a ton of other useful stuff already on it as well. Anyways, if you need any more information, you can PM me or get me on AIM at Letmecomehome.

Daniel.

EDIT: Also, it's part of the battery recall, so a brand new battery is on the way.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I posted a feeler in the Marketplace today and people have told me that a unit similar to mine has sold here on MR for as little as $450. That's a lot less than I hoped to get, though :p It does seem like quite a range depending on options and stuff.

I see you're in Canada, so if you're really interested in a 12" PB and I decide to sell mine (still not 100% sure), maybe we can talk. I'm located in Ottawa by the way.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
notjustjay said:
I posted a feeler in the Marketplace today and people have told me that a unit similar to mine has sold here on MR for as little as $450. That's a lot less than I hoped to get, though :p It does seem like quite a range depending on options and stuff.

I see you're in Canada, so if you're really interested in a 12" PB and I decide to sell mine (still not 100% sure), maybe we can talk. I'm located in Ottawa by the way.
How fast was the processor of the $450 sell? I really want one that is 1.5Ghz.

Josephkyles

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
I just sold mine the other week on Ebay, it sold for 1,100$. Although I think that is a bit high. It was also in perfect condition.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
low end mac

I bet you can find one at lowendmac.com for a dirt cheap price. My 867 powerbook can't run video from itunes without stuttering. Other than that my powerbook is great and will probably last forever. As soon as I can scrap together some extra cash I will buy the Macbook or an iMac. I am getting a bit tired of the little screen. 20 inches of iMac would be so awesome. I think I can hold off until 10.5 comes installed.

kgarchar

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2006
I'm going to be getting a 1.5 ghz powerbook with combo drive and 512 mb ram for $750. Is this a good price or should I try to go lower?

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Go for it

Thats a good deal. I would only sell my old powerbook for around 650 dollars and it's not as fast.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
Just for the record, my computer is 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, and SuperDrive. Because of the amount of expensive software installed, I wouldn't be able to go too much lower than $1,000. I've got absolutely everything that came with it and I'll include a neoprene laptop sleeve and a messenger bag for it, both made by Incase.

Daniel.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Last month, I sold my 1.5Ghz, Superdrive, 768mb, 12" for $800. It had minor cosmetic issues, which brought the price down. Even as things stand, anything under 1k is a good deal for any newer 12", in my opinion.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
The prices you talk about here are REALLY low!

Here, a new 1.5 GHz 12" PowerBook is slightly above 2100$ :eek: - thats 40$ less than black MacBook

:D I love my country ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.