PDA

View Full Version : NBC Reporter Dies in Iraq

MacFan25
Apr 6, 2003, 11:12 AM
NBC's David Bloom, 39, died in Iraq Sunday.

http://msnbc.com/news/896267.asp?0cv=CA01

Here's a quote from the article:

NEW YORK, April 6 ? _David Bloom, an NBC News correspondent embedded with the U.S. Army?s 3rd Infantry Division outside Baghdad, died Sunday, NBC announced. Bloom, a 39-year-old husband and father of three, died of an apparent pulmonary embolism, the company said. He was the second American journalist to die in Iraq since the war began.

This is really sad. :( He seemed like an excellent reporter.

NavyIntel007
Apr 6, 2003, 11:29 AM
What is a pulmonary embolism?

Mr. Anderson
Apr 6, 2003, 12:30 PM
http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic490.htm

Pulmonary thromboembolism is not a disease in and of itself. Rather, it is an often fatal complication of underlying venous thrombosis. Under normal conditions, microthrombi (tiny aggregates of red cells, platelets, and fibrin) are formed and lysed continually within the venous circulatory system. This dynamic equilibrium ensures local hemostasis in response to injury without permitting uncontrolled propagation of clot. Under pathological conditions, microthrombi may escape the normal fibrinolytic system to grow and propagate. PE occurs when these propagating clots break loose and embolize to block pulmonary blood vessels.

Obviously he died because of health reasons and not from the war....sad.

D

billyboy
Apr 6, 2003, 12:32 PM
A blood clot in his lung. Sad for someone his age.

Giaguara
Apr 6, 2003, 12:42 PM
How many civils (kids etc) have died because of the war? :rolleyes:

JesseJames
Apr 6, 2003, 12:58 PM
I saw Katie Couric's eyes this morning and she looked like she bawled all night.
Too bad, the guy was a hardcharger. Not many of those around.

LethalWolfe
Apr 6, 2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Giaguara

OMG... that has to be the dumbest post I've ever seen at Macrumors. He died from a pulmonary embolism, in other words, natural causes. This war didn't kill him anymore than it caused the paper cut I got at work yesterday.

I liked watching his reports. He was always enthusiastic and you could tell he loved what he did for a living.

I saw a very nice tribute to him on NBC this morning.

Lethal

iJon
Apr 6, 2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
OMG... that has to be the dumbest post I've ever seen at Macrumors. He died from a pulmonary embolism, in other words, natural causes. This war didn't kill him anymore than it caused the paper cut I got at work yesterday.

I liked watching his reports. He was always enthusiastic and you could tell he loved what he did for a living.

I saw a very nice tribute to him on NBC this morning.

Lethal
yeah no kidding, i was saying the same thing when i read that post. as long as iraq is in the thread title posts like this will come up, they dont even stop to read the link.

iJon

alex_ant
Apr 6, 2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by iJon
yeah no kidding, i was saying the same thing when i read that post. as long as iraq is in the thread title posts like this will come up, they dont even stop to read the link.

iJon
I believe his/her point was that when a reporter dies, it makes front page news and we all mourn him/her, but when an unknown civilian dies, it's "collateral damage" on page 6B that nobody cares about.

taeclee99
Apr 6, 2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Giaguara

How many civils (men, woman and kids etc) have died because of Saddam's cruel regime? :rolleyes:

pseudobrit
Apr 6, 2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by taeclee99
How many civils (men, woman and kids etc) have died because of Saddam's cruel regime? :rolleyes:

And how many of them turned up on the front page when the US was sending him weapons and military aid? We can go on and on with this BS.

BTW, that's Tired War Argument #1(b) (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23322). We all know about it, no need to keep repeating it; it's tired.

chewbaccapits
Apr 6, 2003, 07:14 PM
I second that that was a stupid post....He's a humanbeing like anyone else....I saw his reports and I feel horrible that this guy passed the way he did...

taeclee99
Apr 6, 2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by pseudobrit
And how many of them turned up on the front page when the US was sending him weapons and military aid? We can go on and on with this BS.

BTW, that's Tired War Argument #1(b) (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23322). We all know about it, no need to keep repeating it; it's tired.

Psuedobrit,

How come I never hear you condemning Saddam and his tactics of torture? I only hear you talk smack of the US. I think Saddam should hire you as his new propaganda minister. You obviously like spewing Saddam's brand of bullcrap.

Rower_CPU
Apr 6, 2003, 07:28 PM
Let's keep things civil here. This thread is about the death of a respected journalist.

I'm sure it's more fitting to remember his life and accomplishments than to bicker over the situation in Iraq. :)

pseudobrit
Apr 6, 2003, 07:34 PM
edited...