PDA

View Full Version : VPC 6 Question

Jeffx342
Apr 6, 2003, 01:18 PM
I would like to buy Suse Linxu 8.1 Pro, would I be able to install it under Vpc 6?

rainman::|:|
Apr 6, 2003, 01:47 PM
according to my VPC6 readme:

Virtual PC is compatible with several distributions of Linux. However, there are many variances between distributions and it is possible you may encounter a problem when using advanced networking configurations. To learn more about specific Linux distributions and known issues, refer to the Connectix Knowledge Database at http://www.connectix.com/support/kdb.html. Virtual PC 6.0 has been tested for installation of Mandrake Linux 8.2.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a distribution list on the support site, but look around and see if you can find anything--

my guess would be yes...

pnw

MacsRgr8
Apr 6, 2003, 01:50 PM
I can't say for sure, but I'll say yes, judging from the past: VPC has been shipped with Red Hat Linux. It emulates the x86 architecture....
But, why not install Yellow Dog Linux on your Mac?

Jeffx342
Apr 6, 2003, 04:03 PM
Thanks guys, yea I personally like Suse better
than Red Hat I just dont want to buy Suse Linux and find out it doesn't work

MacsRgr8
Apr 6, 2003, 04:15 PM
Good luck.
Let us know!

taeclee99
Apr 6, 2003, 04:31 PM
I have installed both Mandrake 8 and Lindows (don't laugh) on VPC 6. They both ran painfully slow. Not even worth the trouble. I am using a tibook 1 gig with 1 gig of ram. The only things that run decent is win 98/2k under vpc 6. Don't even bother with linux through vpc. Instead look for a native PPC version of linux to install.