PDA

View Full Version : First Mac Experience

iTarzan
Apr 6, 2003, 01:34 PM
My only prior Apple experience was in grade school with the ][e (those were the days :p ), gotta love that green text and The Oregon Trail was one of the best computer games ever. I used DOS at home(ok, I didnt "use" it I just cd to a game directory) and then Windows when it became decent(95). I switched to Linux on my x86 box and only used Windows for certain games. Never much liked Windows, nothing exciting. I love Linux though and the whole unix philosophy.

I needed a laptop recently and decided to go with a Powerbook 1ghz for the form factor, design, and to give OSX a whirl, I always admired OSX since it was first shown to the public and the fact that its unix-like was the nail in the x86 coffin for laptop choice.

Needless to say my experience has been positive, from unpacking the box to firing up the OS. It gives me the best of Linux(unix stuff) and the best of Windows(games, office, photochop, audio applications).

Ive used everything under the sun and I must say that OSX is the best looking desktop environment by far and the graphics acceleration is icing on the cake.

The only negative has been lack of configurability, Linux absolutely rules here. Still though I guess that can be a plus too as it keeps things simple and clean.

On a scale of 1-10 I give my Mac a 9.9 :)

rainman::|:|
Apr 6, 2003, 01:50 PM
glad you're pleased with your first mac :) you'd be surprised how configurable X can be-- but the GUI is very non-configurable, Apple clearly has their own ideas about asthetics and don't mess around...

Depending on what you're wanting to do, we could probably find a way to change it :)

have fun playing with X :)

pnw

garzy
Apr 9, 2003, 12:21 PM
Ha! i remeber oregon trail! we had that school.

when people in your party died, kids would always have the gravestones read something like "Billy SUcks", so when another kid passed by that grave in game, they would see it

also, i had one instructor who had wolfenstein on his computer and let me play it when i finished my work in class

applemacdude
Apr 26, 2003, 04:25 PM
they still make oregon trail u know...although it sucks...but can always kill the animals:p

scem0
Apr 26, 2003, 06:17 PM
they are still updating that game?!?!?
no way!

I've spent many an hour on that game. ;)