Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amphersand

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
As of the other day, my imac (2.1) developed an odd but subtle screen effect.

My screen now has a slight 'screen' effect on it? Anybody who uses print will know what i mean. The colours now appear to be made from small dots, a bit like newspaper print etc. Its very subtle, but i can really see it in flat colours in illustrator etc. The problem effects the whole screen no matter what software im using. Effects the dt etc.

Anybody????

Cheers
A.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I would first check the Displays preferences to see if it has somehow been dropped down to thousands of colors or something like that.

Amphersand

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Yeah, its set to 'millions' but appears to be showing in 'thousands'? Dont know why. To be honest the machine needs some serious TLC.

How dificult is it to add extra memory to these? Is it just a case of unscrewing the lid on the bottom???? Possibly another thread in itself!

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Amphersand said:
Yeah, its set to 'millions' but appears to be showing in 'thousands'? Dont know why. To be honest the machine needs some serious TLC.

How dificult is it to add extra memory to these? Is it just a case of unscrewing the lid on the bottom???? Possibly another thread in itself!

not that hard, if you're talking about the round-base, display-on-the-silver-arm iMac. At the very bottom is a memory slot that uses a laptop style card. But once you get inside there's a regular desktop RAM slot on the logic board.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Amphersand said:

That is weird. Most LCDs do some dithering, but it really shouldn't be enough to notice.

If your settings are in the right place, it could be a hardware issue. Before you get involved in the joys of repair service, it would be useful to spend a little time on another similar Mac to rule out "spoilage" (i.e., when you notice an annoying characteristic and then can't ignore it because you're aware it's there).

[ I know that these are vague suggestions, its tough to guess what may be up when only you can see the problem! ]

2.1, so that's a late G5 or one of the new Core 2 Duos? Yes, you loosen the two screws on the bottom and there are small levers beneath that swing out to secure the memory.

Amphersand

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
beatsme said:
not that hard, if you're talking about the round-base, display-on-the-silver-arm iMac. At the very bottom is a memory slot that uses a laptop style card. But once you get inside there's a regular desktop RAM slot on the logic board.

Yeah, that sounds like the one ive got^^^^ G4 not a G5. I can get the initial disk of the bottom and see the lap top style slot, but i think i need to get into the logic board for the memory ive got. It appears to have star shaped screws???? Any clues where id get one of those????:confused:

Cheers peeps
A.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Amphersand said:
Yeah, that sounds like the one ive got^^^^ G4 not a G5. I can get the initial disk of the bottom and see the lap top style slot, but i think i need to get into the logic board for the memory ive got. It appears to have star shaped screws???? Any clues where id get one of those????:confused:

Cheers peeps
A.

you could pick up a star-driver set in the hardware dept. at Sears, or you could try Home Depot or Lowes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.