PDA

View Full Version : Command for iBook fan?

jamesmcd
Sep 29, 2006, 06:05 AM
Hey all,

I was using my iBook G3 to watch a movie last night and it was playing up. This involved the screen randomly doing wierd things and the computer freezing.

At first, I thought the logic board was playing up again, which it might be doing.

Secondly however, I noticed that the laptop was VERY hot, too hot to touch on the bottom, and the ram sheild was hot enough to fry an egg on.

During this time the fan never came on...

So my question is, is there a way, perhaps in the Terminal, to manually tell the fan to come on? I don't mind the noise, and I need to keep this laptop cool!

Thanks.

hookem12387
Feb 25, 2008, 01:58 AM
my fan on my G4 actually never seems to come on. It's not that hot, but I am curious about it.

Wireless Buddy
Feb 25, 2008, 02:58 PM
my fan on my G4 actually never seems to come on. It's not that hot, but I am curious about it.

I'm glad the fan on my G3 runs slow and/or not at all. About 3 days ago, I did something that caused the thing to lock up and all the fans to go on full blast and it sounded like a freaking jet engine. :p

sprime1
Feb 25, 2008, 03:07 PM
ok, but any ideas on a notebook cooling pad thing?

digitalpencil
Feb 25, 2008, 06:12 PM
You can't manually override the fan control on a G3 iBook. smcFanControl will allow you to control fan speed on intel macs (post 10.4) but there is no equivalent for PPC.
I found this (http://www.macmod.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2357) on MacMod but it's far from ideal.