PDA

View Full Version : G5 Dual 1.8 needs new superdrive

masterjedi73
Sep 29, 2006, 07:41 AM
Any suggestions? Will the pioneer DVR111 work? Any newer options?

Thanks!

eva01
Sep 29, 2006, 07:56 AM
I have a Pioneer DVR109 in my dual 1.8 that works great

masterjedi73
Sep 29, 2006, 07:59 AM
all i know is that my 106 (stock) won't burn anymore....nothing...cds or dvds.

TDM21
Sep 29, 2006, 08:06 AM
I bought a Pioneer 111D from Newegg.com back in May for my G4 PM. Haven't had a single issue with it yet. I can burn DVDs and CDs from iLife apps with no problem. I did have to update the firmware so it could burn my Imitation DVD-R media at 16x. Other than that, its a great drive to put in a PowerMac.

kered22
Sep 29, 2006, 12:03 PM
I've had both a DVR-108 and 110 in my dual G5 and both worked fine. They were originally marked as unsupported in System Profiler, but eventually (can't remember which OS X update did it) became labelled as "Apple Shipped/Supported". My MacPro came with a DVD-111, so that should now also be labelled as Apple Shipped/Supported.

That used to cause a problem for burning DVDs in iDVD, but with Tiger, even if it's not supported, it'll still burn a disc. So pretty much any drive will do. :)

EDIT: Just remembered this, it's the Drive database at xlr8yourmac.com. You can check all the various makes and models and different Mac systems and see how they all worked out:
http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

Eidorian
Sep 29, 2006, 12:05 PM
DVR-110D that was put under supported during and OS X update.

masterjedi73
Oct 4, 2006, 11:33 AM
OK. I purchased the 111D. Anyone know where I can update the firmware at? The pioneer website only has windows (or at least that's all I can find). Also, in the system profiler under "Disc Burning", it says YES (unsupported). Anyway to make that supported? It burns CDs...I haven't tried dvds yet.

kered22
Oct 4, 2006, 08:30 PM
OK. I purchased the 111D. Anyone know where I can update the firmware at? The pioneer website only has windows (or at least that's all I can find). Also, in the system profiler under "Disc Burning", it says YES (unsupported). Anyway to make that supported? It burns CDs...I haven't tried dvds yet.
Ah so it's not listed as shipped/supported.

I wouldn't worry about the firmware. Even though it says unsupported, it will burn all CDs and DVDs just fine (using Disk Utility or Finder, Toast or iDVD).