PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G4 1Ghz Auto Shutdown

hugosantos
Apr 7, 2003, 03:40 AM
My new powermac g4 1Ghz sometimes auto shuts down, but not in the correct way, it just hard shuts itself down. I have no idea what this could be.. any help would be great, thanks.

maradong
Apr 7, 2003, 04:32 AM
Hm :)
is the power supply correctly put?
If so, open the case and check if there are no loose electric cables around...

zoetropeuk
Apr 7, 2003, 05:09 AM
I had the exact same problem for the first month or so with a dual 867MDD. I would be in the middle of an email or opening a web page then nothing, the computer would instantly power off. But for the last 4-5 months it hasn't happened once.

It is a complete mystery to me !!!!

agente
Apr 7, 2003, 03:01 PM
it's computer karma, you must have kicked dogs or something in your former lives.
:D

hugosantos
Apr 7, 2003, 03:16 PM
Actually, sometimes it sleeps, other times it shuts down. From reading the system log i think its a buggy OHCI. I was getting constant shutdowns, then i rearranged by usb devices and it isnt shuting down now.. at least yet.

hugosantos
Apr 7, 2003, 03:38 PM
Didn't work, still getting sleeps, no shutdown though.

Apr 7 21:34:07 haven mach_kernel: AppleNMI mask NMI
Apr 7 21:34:07 haven mach_kernel: AppleUSBOHCI[0x18d5800]::setPowerState(SLEEP) - setting PMCS to 8103
Apr 7 21:34:07 haven mach_kernel: AppleUSBOHCI[0x18d5000]::setPowerState(SLEEP) - setting PMCS to 8103
Apr 7 21:34:10 haven mach_kernel: System Sleep
Apr 7 21:34:13 haven mach_kernel: System Wake
Apr 7 21:34:13 haven mach_kernel: Wake event 0020
Apr 7 21:34:13 haven mach_kernel: AppleNMI unmask NMI

why is my OHCI driver putting the system to sleep, why? grrr.

AlphaTech
Apr 7, 2003, 03:50 PM
What usb devices do you have connected to the system?? Have you checked to make sure you have the very latest drivers installed?? Is your OS fully up to date? Have you tried running a fsch -y?? How about resetting the open firmware??

hugosantos
Apr 7, 2003, 03:57 PM
Its a brand new machine. The only usb devices connected are the apple keyboard and apple pro mouse. I'm running MacOSX 10.2.4.

AlphaTech
Apr 7, 2003, 04:05 PM
Have you run the software update to make sure everything is 100% current?? How about try a different keyboard and mouse?? It's possible you have a defective keyboard and/or mouse there (it happens).

How about the fsck -y and resetting the open firmware?? Have you done either/both yet??

hugosantos
Apr 7, 2003, 04:11 PM
i dont have another usb keyboard to test with. regarding the fsck -y or openfirmware reset, i havent done either, as the box is brand new, there should be no problems with that, i think.

AlphaTech
Apr 7, 2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by hugosantos
i dont have another usb keyboard to test with. regarding the fsck -y or openfirmware reset, i havent done either, as the box is brand new, there should be no problems with that, i think.

Should and should not and reality are often three different things. DO the fsck -y as well as reset the open firmware.

Have you tried calling Apple about the issue?? Since the system is "brand new" you are covered under warranty. What software have you installed onto the computer?? Is all of it OS X native (10.2, not older versions) or compatible?

What other hardware do you have either inside or outside the computer? Remove all third party hardware from the system (inside and out) and see if the problem remains.

hugosantos
Apr 7, 2003, 04:19 PM
Since im getting system events for sleep i dont see how fsck -y could fix anything. All my software is 10.2 compatible, its pretty much the standard stuff. And i have no 3rd party hardware in this system.