Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fat Tony

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2001
Home Media Option for Tivo was released today. The Tivo Home Media Option lets you use your Tivo networked to your Mac to stream iTunes audio and iPhoto pictures to your TV.

You'll need to purchase the HMO in order to use the desktop software they've released here:

http://www.tivo.com/4.9.4.1.asp

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
One time fees that are tied to your TiVos:
$99 for the first unit
$49 for each additional unit on your account

I'll be buying this as soon as they lower the price a bit. I'd rather put $99 towards something like a GameCube. But still, it looks very cool and I'm glad that they're supporting the Mac.

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
I have never used a Tivo, but the concept looks pretty cool. Dont like the subscription kind of thing, and I have heard that if the company goes out of business, you are left with just a useless paperweight (and a big one at that). Wouldn't mind a new ipod though......:)

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
That is just awesome. I've always wanted tivo, this just makes it that much more of an attractive product.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Edit: I got to thinking... I'm already doing all of this with my iBook and my AirPort network. I run movies, TV shows and slide shows on my television, so I guess I got excited for nothing.

Dan

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Requires Tivo2

Unfortunately, this requires a Tivo Series 2 receiver. I have a slightly older model (late 2001) combined with a DirecTV receiver. It's absolutely wonderful. It has a dual tuner, so you can watch one thing and record another. Last I checked the Series 2 receivers only have one satellite tuner - a huge downgrade.

As cool as the iTunes/iPhoto thing would be, I couldn't imagine giving up the second tuner.

One interesting thing I noticed: The Windows download is 7MB; the Mac download only 177K. Definitely looks like this takes advantage of Mac innards. Cool.

[Edited later: Ah, it looks like there ARE now dual-tuner SatTivo's. Nifty. More toys to buy!]

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
What about a mac version of this?

I like the Tivo concept. I';d also like HP (or someone) to make a mac version of their media receiver, which appears to do the same thing, without Tivo:

HP Media Receiver

If nothing else, it avoids the Tivo subscription issues . . .

Any thoughts on a mac version of this?

mozez

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2001
pictures and music, um, what's the big deal? i want something like that hp thing that can also play moves, not even divx movies, but like mpeg4, dvd, everything, say i went and bought a dvd player on my pc/mac, and don't see why i should spend the money to get a standalone, well, a box that i could just connect to that would play divx, mpeg4, xvid, mp3, ogg, images, dvds and everything would be awesome, but not for like $450 like that kiss dvd that will not play cds, only dvd-r, and you can't connect to it by ethernet, the tivo thing is neat,b ut just for photo and music is worthless. i can wirelessly connect to my stereo for free, and i can just go straight out of my pc or powerbook for images, though i don't see why i would. i can do this for movies, however i have to have the laptop in the same room or run a wicked long wire, i'd like to just have my machine online and just be at the tv and have a list of media files on my mac, and just be able to play them.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
two things:
1) Replaytv has done pretty much all of this for a while now with DVArchive.

2) Replaytv will hopefully be bought up my D&M a company with deep pockets for R&D.

I would wait until after April 15th for the chapter 11 announcement from SONICBlue and then decide on either TIVO or ReplayTV.

IMO TIVO sucks compared to ReplayTV.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Re: TiVo in Canada

You'll get TiVo in Canada as soon as the Ministry of Censorship figures out how to filter content that they unilaterally deem inappropriate for your unwashed minds to absorb. It's for your own good, after all.

pcp_ip

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2002
oh, and as for "rumored to use rendezvous"...

It does use rendezvous. it found 4 of my macs (with the tivo prefpane installed) without doing a thing.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
This is about the coolest thing I have ever seen. I am ready to sign up! Thanks for the link, FatTony

neonzebra

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2002

xDANx

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2003
Montreal, QC
Re: Re: TiVo in Canada

Originally posted by Sayer
You'll get TiVo in Canada as soon as the Ministry of Censorship figures out how to filter content that they unilaterally deem inappropriate for your unwashed minds to absorb. It's for your own good, after all.

i think that you would have a very hard time making the argument that canadian television is more censored than american television. while excessive violence is deemed ok for general viewing in the states, you have to watch specialty cable channels to avoid having all sex and swearing 'sanitized'. on canadian tv there tend just to be warnings about content and then things are broadcast uncut.

the real reason that services like tivo are blocked by the CRTC (canadian radio-television telecommunications commision) is because they fear losing control of the tv market to american distributors resulting in the loss of the ability to regulate 'canadian content'. there have been ongoing fights about satellite tv and where signals originate, and a channel like muchmusic (the canadian version of MTV) has to show a certain percentage of videos that are by canadian artists (i think it's somewhere around 25%). most of our entertainment comes from the states already anyway, but they sort of constantly worry the the canadian market will be completely obliterated by the american one. it's possibly to have endless debates on what exactly the differences are between canadian and american culture, but bodies like the CRTC worry that the latter will dominate...maybe they're worried that we'll all go and get crew cuts or something...:p

bennyek

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2002
The O.C.
Tivo software Version 4.0

Has anyone who has tivo sucessfully upgraded their tivo software to version 4.0 I guess it requires 4.0 for wireless conection, buit I dialed in to update it and it is still only version 3.2
Any takers??
Thanks

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Hmm... I was really hoping that the Rendezvous support would work in the other direction. Like my Powerbook would be able to use Rendezvous to detect a TiVo unit in order to both control it and stream video through QuickTime Player. That way I could carry my Powerbook to any room and continue watching stuff.

That being the case, the ReplayTV + DVArchive seems to do what I want better than a TiVo + HMO does. I just don't get to say it uses Rendezvous to do it.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by dricci
One time fees that are tied to your TiVos:
$99 for the first unit
$49 for each additional unit on your account

I'll be buying this as soon as they lower the price a bit. I'd rather put $99 towards something like a GameCube. But still, it looks very cool and I'm glad that they're supporting the Mac.

might not be a good investment. lots of the big high street electronics shops here in the UK are stopping selling the Game Cube as it's so poor in the competition, and people haven't been satisfied with their purchase.

The TiVo however is great!

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
BTW, if you have a Playstation 2 with the Ethernet module installed this company: http://www.broadq.com/ has software to allow you to play mp3's and various video formats INCLUDING DivX! Software is $50.00 not too shabby.

And yes, it is OS X compatible!

Here is all the file formats it supports:
entertainment_options.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.