PDA

View Full Version : Tivo's HMO for Mac is here!

Fat Tony
Apr 7, 2003, 09:34 AM
Home Media Option for Tivo was released today. The Tivo Home Media Option lets you use your Tivo networked to your Mac to stream iTunes audio and iPhoto pictures to your TV.

You'll need to purchase the HMO in order to use the desktop software they've released here:

http://www.tivo.com/4.9.4.1.asp

evoluzione
Apr 7, 2003, 01:02 PM
sweet!!!!!

you don't know whether i have to pay two subscription charges if i buy a second tivo do you?? i hope not

dricci
Apr 7, 2003, 01:57 PM
One time fees that are tied to your TiVos:
$99 for the first unit
$49 for each additional unit on your account

I'll be buying this as soon as they lower the price a bit. I'd rather put $99 towards something like a GameCube. But still, it looks very cool and I'm glad that they're supporting the Mac.

BillyShears
Apr 7, 2003, 04:16 PM
It's all adding up:

new iPods tomorrow!

altivec 2003
Apr 7, 2003, 04:22 PM
I have never used a Tivo, but the concept looks pretty cool. Dont like the subscription kind of thing, and I have heard that if the company goes out of business, you are left with just a useless paperweight (and a big one at that). Wouldn't mind a new ipod though......:)

timbloom
Apr 7, 2003, 04:28 PM
That is just awesome. I've always wanted tivo, this just makes it that much more of an attractive product.

alset
Apr 7, 2003, 04:30 PM
Edit: I got to thinking... I'm already doing all of this with my iBook and my AirPort network. I run movies, TV shows and slide shows on my television, so I guess I got excited for nothing.

Dan

bignumbers
Apr 7, 2003, 04:56 PM
Unfortunately, this requires a Tivo Series 2 receiver. I have a slightly older model (late 2001) combined with a DirecTV receiver. It's absolutely wonderful. It has a dual tuner, so you can watch one thing and record another. Last I checked the Series 2 receivers only have one satellite tuner - a huge downgrade.

As cool as the iTunes/iPhoto thing would be, I couldn't imagine giving up the second tuner.

One interesting thing I noticed: The Windows download is 7MB; the Mac download only 177K. Definitely looks like this takes advantage of Mac innards. Cool.

[Edited later: Ah, it looks like there ARE now dual-tuner SatTivo's. Nifty. More toys to buy!]

belgar
Apr 7, 2003, 04:56 PM
Please, for the love of God.....

Le Big Mac
Apr 7, 2003, 05:09 PM
I like the Tivo concept. I';d also like HP (or someone) to make a mac version of their media receiver, which appears to do the same thing, without Tivo:

HP Media Receiver (http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0378088774.1049753139@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadchmkdjkhdcfngcfkmdfondfgg.0&product_code=DB225A%23ABA&cat_level=2&browse_link=true)

If nothing else, it avoids the Tivo subscription issues . . .

Any thoughts on a mac version of this?

mozez
Apr 7, 2003, 05:22 PM
pictures and music, um, what's the big deal? i want something like that hp thing that can also play moves, not even divx movies, but like mpeg4, dvd, everything, say i went and bought a dvd player on my pc/mac, and don't see why i should spend the money to get a standalone, well, a box that i could just connect to that would play divx, mpeg4, xvid, mp3, ogg, images, dvds and everything would be awesome, but not for like $450 like that kiss dvd that will not play cds, only dvd-r, and you can't connect to it by ethernet, the tivo thing is neat,b ut just for photo and music is worthless. i can wirelessly connect to my stereo for free, and i can just go straight out of my pc or powerbook for images, though i don't see why i would. i can do this for movies, however i have to have the laptop in the same room or run a wicked long wire, i'd like to just have my machine online and just be at the tv and have a list of media files on my mac, and just be able to play them.

rugby
Apr 7, 2003, 05:38 PM
two things:
1) Replaytv has done pretty much all of this for a while now with DVArchive.

2) Replaytv will hopefully be bought up my D&M a company with deep pockets for R&D.

I would wait until after April 15th for the chapter 11 announcement from SONICBlue and then decide on either TIVO or ReplayTV.

IMO TIVO sucks compared to ReplayTV.

Sayer
Apr 7, 2003, 05:38 PM
You'll get TiVo in Canada as soon as the Ministry of Censorship figures out how to filter content that they unilaterally deem inappropriate for your unwashed minds to absorb. It's for your own good, after all.

pcp_ip
Apr 7, 2003, 06:34 PM
http://www.studio2f.com/dispatch/tivo.jpg (http://www.studio2f.com/dispatch/tivo.jpg)

my tivo just keeps getting better and better...

robotrenegade
Apr 7, 2003, 06:36 PM
Hook me up!

pcp_ip
Apr 7, 2003, 06:44 PM
oh, and as for "rumored to use rendezvous"...

It does use rendezvous. it found 4 of my macs (with the tivo prefpane installed) without doing a thing.

Dr Zaius
Apr 7, 2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by belgar
Please, for the love of God.....

I'll second that.

Come on Tivo, come and get my money.

Oh, I just found this petition for Tivo in Canada...maybe it will help

http://www.petitiononline.com/t1v0cnda/petition.html

buffsldr
Apr 7, 2003, 07:24 PM
This is about the coolest thing I have ever seen. I am ready to sign up! Thanks for the link, FatTony

neonzebra
Apr 7, 2003, 07:29 PM
Unfortunately even those of us with compatible DirecTiVo boxes will not be getting these features. DirecTV (who has final say about which features get enabled on the DirecTiVo units) has officially decided not to offer HMO:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109502

So everyone please help out your fellow mac/tivo lovers and sign the online petition for it here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/tivo9900/petition.html

evoluzione
Apr 7, 2003, 08:52 PM
hmm, now i can get rid of all the rca cables running through my apartment, linking my iMac with my stereos, fantastic

xDANx
Apr 7, 2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Sayer
You'll get TiVo in Canada as soon as the Ministry of Censorship figures out how to filter content that they unilaterally deem inappropriate for your unwashed minds to absorb. It's for your own good, after all.

i think that you would have a very hard time making the argument that canadian television is more censored than american television. while excessive violence is deemed ok for general viewing in the states, you have to watch specialty cable channels to avoid having all sex and swearing 'sanitized'. on canadian tv there tend just to be warnings about content and then things are broadcast uncut.

the real reason that services like tivo are blocked by the CRTC (canadian radio-television telecommunications commision) is because they fear losing control of the tv market to american distributors resulting in the loss of the ability to regulate 'canadian content'. there have been ongoing fights about satellite tv and where signals originate, and a channel like muchmusic (the canadian version of MTV) has to show a certain percentage of videos that are by canadian artists (i think it's somewhere around 25%). most of our entertainment comes from the states already anyway, but they sort of constantly worry the the canadian market will be completely obliterated by the american one. it's possibly to have endless debates on what exactly the differences are between canadian and american culture, but bodies like the CRTC worry that the latter will dominate...maybe they're worried that we'll all go and get crew cuts or something...:p

bennyek
Apr 7, 2003, 10:11 PM
Has anyone who has tivo sucessfully upgraded their tivo software to version 4.0 I guess it requires 4.0 for wireless conection, buit I dialed in to update it and it is still only version 3.2
Any takers??
Thanks

Gelfin
Apr 8, 2003, 02:08 AM
Hmm... I was really hoping that the Rendezvous support would work in the other direction. Like my Powerbook would be able to use Rendezvous to detect a TiVo unit in order to both control it and stream video through QuickTime Player. That way I could carry my Powerbook to any room and continue watching stuff.

That being the case, the ReplayTV + DVArchive seems to do what I want better than a TiVo + HMO does. I just don't get to say it uses Rendezvous to do it.

gotohamish
Apr 8, 2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by dricci
One time fees that are tied to your TiVos:
$99 for the first unit
$49 for each additional unit on your account

I'll be buying this as soon as they lower the price a bit. I'd rather put $99 towards something like a GameCube. But still, it looks very cool and I'm glad that they're supporting the Mac.

might not be a good investment. lots of the big high street electronics shops here in the UK are stopping selling the Game Cube as it's so poor in the competition, and people haven't been satisfied with their purchase.

The TiVo however is great!

Steamboatwillie
Apr 8, 2003, 08:15 AM
BTW, if you have a Playstation 2 with the Ethernet module installed this company: http://www.broadq.com/ has software to allow you to play mp3's and various video formats INCLUDING DivX! Software is $50.00 not too shabby.

And yes, it is OS X compatible!

Here is all the file formats it supports:
http://www.broadq.com/images/qcasttuner_1/entertainment_options.gif

NatronB
Apr 8, 2003, 08:50 AM
Interesting... but I have a few questions.

I actually might find myself in possession of a TiVo shortly. I just won my office basketball pool (yeah, 'Cuse!) and one of the prizes is a TiVo. I was thinking vying for a cash option instead ($200) which I would use to buy Soundsticks.

This changes everything....

So the TiVo connects to my 12" PBook with Ethernet? Through a hub? Can someone explain?

I was thinking of using El Gato's EyeTV product with my Mac and Soundsticks, this seems like another way to do something very similiar. Thoughts?

-Nate

DharvaBinky
Apr 8, 2003, 09:04 AM
Lets just turn *all* the Tivo users in the world that have broad band connections (so that they can do "remote scheduling" according to the sales literature) into MP3 servers. Look at the fine print at the bottom:

The TiVo Desktop Software provides easy access to music files and photographs stored on your home network using your local network. Any other system with access to your network -- a computer, a TiVo DVR, etc. --- will also have access to the music files and photographs stored on your home computer. If you are using wireless networking or if your home network is attached to the Internet, TiVo strongly suggests you take steps to protect your local network from unwanted intruders.

errr... what? <fear> Yah. John Q Public is really good at that.

Dharvabinky

Frobozz
Apr 8, 2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by bennyek
Has anyone who has tivo sucessfully upgraded their tivo software to version 4.0 I guess it requires 4.0 for wireless conection, buit I dialed in to update it and it is still only version 3.2
Any takers??
Thanks

I have both version 4.0 and the HMO installed. I think the HMO people get preference when they connect to update their software. The 4.0 software is very nice. The main thing I like is being able to group recorded shows by folder.

slffl
Apr 8, 2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by gotohamish
might not be a good investment. lots of the big high street electronics shops here in the UK are stopping selling the Game Cube as it's so poor in the competition, and people haven't been satisfied with their purchase.

Well, I have every console and if I only could have one, the Gamecube would definately be it!

2COOL4SCHOOL
Apr 8, 2003, 10:12 AM
I have an old Replay 1000 that I upgrgaded the 10GB HD to 80GB.
Both Tivo and Replay have great units. There are some small differences so be sure to do your homework.

blackpeter
Apr 8, 2003, 12:04 PM
I just returned my Sony SVR-3000 (80GB) Series 2 TiVo because it "crashed."

Apparently, this issue isn't that common, and luckily it happened 3 weeks after purchase. So now I'm waiting for the store to get more in (these models seem to be pretty popular) so that they can replace it.

But lately I've been wondering... What about ReplayTV?

It seems like they're way ahead of TiVo when it comes to home-networking. One reason, they use Ethernet when TiVo uses USB(?). One more reason, you don't have to pay them anything. Even another reason, it's simple to get your stored shows on to your Mac easily, and using ethernet - it's fast.

I guess I'm skiddish to try them out because I'm not sure if they'll last. But one poster here seems to think that they will be a strong contender.

So now I'm even more confused.

Natron
Apr 8, 2003, 03:00 PM
I was just checking out the website for the ReplayTV 5000 and it says it doesn't work with Macs to display photos. I don't remember seeing anything about music either.

Looks like it only streams video for Macs.

I'm really liking the Tivo features, but I really wish they would make it work with video. I love to stream videos I've made and trailers I've downloaded to my TV. (and homestarrunner.com is so cool full screen).

To go along with this, I would really like to see Apple put out a "video viewing app" which would almost be like iTunes for video. You could organize your movies according to Home Movies, Commercials, Movie Trailers, etc., and it could support all the Quicktime formats. I download quite a few movie trailers, commercials, and what not, so it'd be really nice to organize them easily. The only way to do that now is in the Movies folder, which is kind of hard when the movies aren't named appropriately.

Wraithe
Apr 14, 2003, 11:49 PM
I have to say, having owned a ReplayTV for 2 weeks now. (Yes, I bought one AFTER they declared bankruptcy) A 40GB model that's been performing flawlessly and really giving excellent service, since I've been away a lot lately. :)

I'm REALLY going to be sad if I have to return it (After the Bankruptcy decides what happens to the service.)

Why? The Mac is awesome with it.

Instead of having one ReplayTV, thanks to DVArchive, I have 4. 3 Macs and one real ReplayTV. I can store video on the Macs and play it on the TV or play it on the Macs, pulling it from the ReplayTV, I can pull the video over and write it to VCD with other tools.

If I have to, if things go badly, I will go ahead and go get a Tivo, but man, the ReplayTV just works so nicely.

I will correct a seeming misconception of an earlier post in that you DO need the service for the ReplayTV to work. Which is why the real "break point" is on the 16th when they decide who buys what assets.

MontanaMacster
May 4, 2003, 11:24 PM
I thinking about getting the new tivo box and Hmo service. What are the pros and cons of this system?

pcp_ip
May 5, 2003, 06:53 AM
con: it won't play apple music store files (AAC)

AddictedToTV
Jul 8, 2003, 06:25 PM
Does TiVo ever offer specials on the monthly/lifetime subscription fees? How about specials on the HomeMediaOption fee?

Combo deals, on sale this month, rebate, etc?

The reason I'm asking is that I just purchased a brand new TiVo unit to give as a gift to my parents this month. I'm planning to go for the $299 lifetime subscription, and maybe the $99 HomeMediaOption. The only feature of the HomeMediaOption that we are likely to use is the remote scheduling from internet; ReplayTV gives you that for free; TiVo charges $99. Ugh! :mad:

Past specials might give a hint as to whether specials will be offered in the future.

slffl
Jul 9, 2003, 10:00 AM
Tivo vs. Replay is like a lot of other things. PS2 vs Xbox, Intel vs AMD, ATI vs Nvidia, etc. etc. Unfortunately what it comes down to is marketing. In all these cases, the better product has lost due to marketing and brainwashing.

Same with these too. Tivo has a good name, they've marketed it quite a lot and gotten their name out there. Now it's like when people used to call every game system nintendo, everyone now calls all PVRs Tivos.

It's too bad, I really liked ReplayTV. I hate how Tivo charges a premuim for EVERYTHING much like Sony. However I will never buy a Tivo. I'll get a DishPVR before a tivo.

bbarnhart
Jul 28, 2003, 09:33 PM
For all current TiVo subscribers, the home media option will be free for four weeks starting Aug 4th, 2003. The best part is (if that isn't best enough) is you can buy it for $59 instead of $99. $40 off for the mathematically challenged.

Link (http://www.tivo.com/getready)