PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Acrobat 6 released today

j33pd0g
Apr 7, 2003, 11:56 AM
Monday April 7th, 2003, Adobe has melded its Portable Document Format (PDF) and XML, updating its Acrobat family of PDF creation tools to version 6.0 in the process.

I found this article: http://news.com.com/2100-1012-995639.html

They mention M$ way too often, and was at first concerned that they were going to leave the mac platform behind... However, I discovered that it is available for OS X 10.2.2

More info: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/systemreqs.html

adamcoop
Apr 7, 2003, 04:45 PM
The Acrobat 6.0 Family of products will be available for preorder in May 2003.

Probably June or July.

aafuss1
Apr 7, 2003, 05:21 PM
Wonder if the win. version will use .msi technnlogy ans tyhe mac version use apple's installer or installrrer vose on both.

Oats
Apr 8, 2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by aafuss1
Wonder if the win. version will use .msi technnlogy ans tyhe mac version use apple's installer or installrrer vose on both.

who cares? what the point is this?

bousozoku
Apr 8, 2003, 10:56 AM
I think that Adobe are so concerned about XDocs from Microsoft that they want to cover the Windows market before MS gets their technology out there. Acrobat outlasted Replica and the other technologies, but how many companies survive an MS assaut?

It looks like the volume buy is meant to give Windows users the same capability that Mac OS X users have--to output .pdf files from any application.

lmasanti
Apr 8, 2003, 05:46 PM
I think that Adobe is making two different products (Mac and Win) because Mac OS X has PDF support native, so, it is easier to read/write documents.

In Win they have to build everything, as it was done en Mac OS 9.

insidedanshead
Apr 8, 2003, 05:55 PM
Will it come with a carbonized version of Distiller? This is (besides for borderless printing) the only reason I ever have to get into classic mode or boot into OS9.. it is getting pretty frustrating. Anyone that deals with prepress has at some point I am sure felt the same as I.

geeman
Apr 9, 2003, 02:37 AM
No, it's a native OS X app (actually, it's not even available under OS 9).

There's loads of cool stuff for you prepress guys (PDF/X-1a and PDF/X-3 support, preflighting, color separation support, etc. etc.)

More info at www.pdfzone.com

aafuss1
Apr 9, 2003, 03:23 AM
I like to vision the Elements versiojn ideal for schools-since they can buy many companies per a computer-cxpst savings for buisiness and firms to-wished they out out a cheap ho,me user version,

geeman
Apr 9, 2003, 03:33 AM
Yeah - great idea in principle, but have you seen the pricing model? $28 per seat, minimum quantity of 1000!!! :eek:
I'm sure schools would get an edu discount, but what about small companies?

There are as good (if not better) server-based PDF creation tools out there.

Grimace
Apr 10, 2003, 02:23 AM
aafuss1 - this isn't "Australian rules" typing - make sure we can read what you write or it's hard to respond.