Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d.f

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2003
hi, i've searched and i didn't get my answer.

i have a mac at home and a pc at work. i want to be able to use my ipod on the mac only. but i do want to be able to take files home from my pc to use on the mac. maybe even lossless tracks. the pc at work rips everything, but the mac has problems with the odd disc. (iBook)..

is there a problem with this..? does the Nano work as just an external flash HD..? also, does it mess it up to be used between a mac and a pc..?

any help appreciated.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
format it for windows. it should connect to the Mac. The only drawback is you have to update your iPod software on the PC :)
yay i beat MJ!

d.f

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2003
oh...

thanks for the reply.

that's annoying. i'd like to have made the nano tied to the mac, as opposed to he pc. i hoped that flash drives didn't have the same cross flatform issues that magnetic drives have. HHmmmmmmm.

starcrossed

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
San Antonio,TX
Your only option iPod wise is the slightly less 1GB Shuffle which with the 1stgen you could go between Mac and PC without a problem, but Apple has yet for whatever reason applied this drive format to the other iPods in line, I guess just cause they don't see the point for it.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Since you want your iPod Nano to be linked to your Mac, you might consider getting a separate flash drive. They are very cheap these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.