PDA

View Full Version : Saint Steven

MacBytes
Sep 30, 2006, 11:27 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Saint Steven (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061001002722)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Lixivial
Oct 1, 2006, 12:04 AM
So, the article begins with a rehash and profile of Steve Jobs and ends up summarizing how the Apple brand is alienating its longtime users?

Huh?

Either way, this article is a rehash of many things already known; that's not to say it's bad (though it is rubbish) -- except for their assertion that NeXT was a damned waste of money -- but rather that there's nothing new here. It's hardly even an opinion piece, aside from the claim that Apple's longtime users aren't professionals, but rather hipsters.

bluebomberman
Oct 1, 2006, 01:01 AM
Here we go again. Another doom-and-gloom article with ominous warnings of people switching to Linux/Windows or Zune/Zen because of Apple's popularity killing their counterculture image.

Maybe it's because I'm a recent switcher (a little over two years ago), but I feel Apple deserved to be on the brink of dissolution back in the mid-90s. It boggles my mind that people are nostaligic for the days of expensive, uninspiring computers with a creaky old OS, tons of cross-platform incompatibilities, and no portable music players worth owning.

DMann
Oct 1, 2006, 02:54 AM
Here we go again. Another doom-and-gloom article with ominous warnings of people switching to Linux/Windows or Zune/Zen because of Apple's popularity killing their counterculture image.

Maybe it's because I'm a recent switcher (a little over two years ago), but I feel Apple deserved to be on the brink of dissolution back in the mid-90s. It boggles my mind that people are nostaligic for the days of expensive, uninspiring computers with a creaky old OS, tons of cross-platform incompatibilities, and no portable music players worth owning.

Innovative thinking keeps the cycles flowing.

PCMacUser
Oct 1, 2006, 05:24 AM
Argh, just another fluffy article. From my perspective, a computer is a computer. I want it to do stuff. So if making Apples more like PCs makes them better, then so be it. It's not the end of the world. I don't really care what I use anymore.

steve_hill4
Oct 1, 2006, 04:46 PM
Either way, this article is a rehash of many things already known; that's not to say it's bad (though it is rubbish) -- except for their assertion that NeXT was a damned waste of money -- but rather that there's nothing new here.
Was NeXT that much of a waste of money? It brought about OSX after all. Without NeXT, we would either have had BeOS or even Copland. Copland could have been a huge disaster and BeOS may not have ended up quite as much a Mac OS as Rhapsody demonstrated. Who knows, all I know is I love OSX and we have NeXT to thank for that.

Lixivial
Oct 1, 2006, 07:53 PM
You caught me on poor grammar, apparently, as you likely misunderstood what I said. I meant that their assertion that NeXT was a waste of money was rubbish. I became lazy, though, because after editing I added the parenthetical statement and didn't amend the rest of the sentence. Oh well.

Although, I suppose it could be argued that NeXT was a moneypit in which a lot of great ideas came out, but didn't produce a lot of dinero. Still, history ought show what NeXT became, and that alone proves that it was not a waste of money.

By the way, Copland was a huge disaster. There's no two ways to spin that other than "was" -- no "could," "should," or "would" can accommodate that failure. It's fact. :)

SPUY767
Oct 2, 2006, 06:23 AM
I like the final paragraph jab at using Intel processors. From what I've seen, OS X, as far as graphical OSes go, can squeeze much more horsepower out of its chips than windows. Of course, you throw a CLI Unix or Linux distro at it and you are really off to the races.

sunfast
Oct 2, 2006, 08:27 AM
all I know is I love OSX

Exactly. I couldn't care less what processor it's running on as long as it runs well.