PDA

View Full Version : Calling current IBook G3 user

rapala
Oct 1, 2006, 02:19 AM
My Ibook G3 harddisk just crashed and needs around US150 to change a new 60G harddisk.Need info on the reliablility of G3 as i do not want to spend the money and next moment other stuff starts to crash.
How reliable is the G3 after using for 3 years?

:( :(

Josias
Oct 1, 2006, 02:25 AM
My Ibook G3 harddisk just crashed and needs around US150 to change a new 60G harddisk.Need info on the reliablility of G3 as i do not want to spend the money and next moment other stuff starts to crash.
How reliable is the G3 after using for 3 years?

:( :(

If I were you I'd instead save up some dough and love you some MacBook.

I dunno about the reliability of the G3, but there is a chance of a logicboard failing on such an old computer.

dextertangocci
Oct 1, 2006, 02:46 AM
The iBook G3's had a logic board problem. Check Apple's support page for more details.

I think that you should rather get a MB:) 3 years usage out of a notebook is very good;)

WildCowboy
Oct 1, 2006, 02:52 AM
Yes, the iBook G3s did have a lot of logic board problems, but I'll just throw out there that I have one that's over five years old now and is ticking along without a single problem (except for a dead battery). In fact, I'm typing on it right now...it gets several hours of usage per day for Internet surfing.

*** knocks on wood ***

rapala
Oct 1, 2006, 02:59 AM
I changed to a new Macbook about a month ago and the Macbook is having frequent shutdown problems.Apple center changed the Logic board yesterday but after upgrading the software the Macbook can't boot up this morning.Has been goin in/out of Apple center for the past 1 month due to the ongoing problems.Hopefully they could resolve it this time.Running to Apple center tomorrow.

Need a backup laptop and wondering whether its worthwhile to change the G3 harddisk.

floatingspirit
Oct 1, 2006, 03:09 AM
My G3 ran like a tank. It was dropped, fallen on while mtn. biking and generally banged around. Only problem I had before selling it a few months ago was the battery, which couldn't hold a charge anymore.

CrackedButter
Oct 1, 2006, 07:14 AM
I changed to a new Macbook about a month ago and the Macbook is having frequent shutdown problems.Apple center changed the Logic board yesterday but after upgrading the software the Macbook can't boot up this morning.Has been goin in/out of Apple center for the past 1 month due to the ongoing problems.Hopefully they could resolve it this time.Running to Apple center tomorrow.

Need a backup laptop and wondering whether its worthwhile to change the G3 harddisk.

If you can find a replacement HD I think it is worth it as a backup machine for light use. I upgraded mine no sweat, but the iBook G3 does have a HD limit. www.ifixit.com have a guide for HD replacement, I forgot where I read G3 iBook's have the HD limit so google for it. Or just get a cheap 10GB one off ebay.

MACDRIVE
Oct 1, 2006, 07:31 AM
What kind of shape is the rest of the iBook in? Any scratches on the screen?