Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Yo.

I'm trying to get my Linux box online but since I only have a Winmodem, it's a real pain in the ass and a lot more trouble than its worth. Windows has no problem, but I'd really like to learn Linux and its sorts useless without internet.

I could (and have) use my iBook as a gateway by connecting it to my PC through a crossover cable, but then I'd have to leave it on and plugged in all the time for my main machine (PC, sorry guys) to stay connected to the internet.

I know that I could get an internal hardware based modem that would work with Linux and still use the crossover cable to connect the two, but that doesn't fare too well for being a 'real' network so its harder to configure everything and blah blah.

Are there routers like this that even exist?

Doesn't have to be wireless since I don't have that and I do realize that Apple's base stations have a modem, but they're also expensive.
I'd like to spend less than $100 on this and if the only ones that exist are more than that, then I'll just wait it out.
Needs to be tri-platform compatible, Mac, Windows, Linux.

Thanx.

-V

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
before i got cable i asked the same questions and found that the airport is the only basestation i've ever seen or anyone has heard of with a 56k modem.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Webramp used to offer a dual modem and a dual modemless (use your own modem style) version along with a single modem one. I think the company died though.

Netgear still has one for sale. Way too expensive new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.