Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
So, a not especially tech-savvy friend of mine dropped his fifth-gen 30gb iPod the other day. Whenever he turns it on, he gets the exclamation point folder. I told him I'd try to fix it for him.

I know that when you get this icon, the proper way to fix it is to charge it up, reset it, and restore. Nothing happened when I plugged it into my wall charger, but when I plugged it into my eMac I got the battery charging icon on the screen. So far, so good. I let it sit overnight.

In the morning, when I checked it, it was all charged up and asked me if I wanted to sync it with my library. I said yes, just to see what would happen. It synched normally, but when I tried to turn the iPod on, I still got the pesky folder icon. So I opened iPod updatater to restore it, and it gave me an error message saying it couldn't restore the iPod because there was a file open on it. I can't figure out what to do now because whenever I try to do anything with the iPod itself, it just gives me the folder icon and shuts itself off. What can I do?

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Keep reformatting the hard drive. Sometimes, if you do it enough, it will just go away and the ipod will be fixed. If it doesnt work, then get the iod 's hard drive fixed.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Yeah, when he told me he dropped it I figured he probably messed up the hard drive. I thought I'd give it the ol' college try anyway.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Oh, one more thing: His iPod is Windows-formatted. I don't think this is the problem, though, because when I open Updater, the update box is grayed-out for this reason, but the restore button works. Also, I don't recall having any problems reformatting my iPod when I switched from PC to Mac.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
OK, I tried reformatting it a few more times, and it worked. But now whenever I open it in iTunes, it tells me that iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode, and I need to restore it to use it with iTunes. So I restore it again, and I get the same message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.