PDA

View Full Version : Windows Live support in new version of Messenger for Mac

MacBytes
Oct 1, 2006, 09:40 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: Windows Live support in new version of Messenger for Mac (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061001224046)
Description:: Link to newly released version of Messenger for Mac, including WLM support, and a few other feature upgrades.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

p0intblank
Oct 1, 2006, 10:05 PM
Cool, downloading now... no video conferencing, though. :(

mduser63
Oct 1, 2006, 10:31 PM
Kind of weird to see this showing up now. The new version's been out for a few days now...

Anyway, over at the Mac Mojo blog there's an entry (http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/archive/2006/09/27/774149.aspx) explaining the whole video support issue in Messenger for Mac. There's plenty of detail, but the part that's perhaps important is that it's planned for the next version.

bdj21ya
Oct 1, 2006, 11:42 PM
I just wish everyone would move over to Skype. It has better quality than iChat A/V (at least sound, I haven't used it yet for video) and it works between the two main OS's without a problem. Plus you can call phone numbers for free in the US? Why is anyone still using Messenger AIM or iChat?

tvguru
Oct 1, 2006, 11:56 PM
I just wish everyone would move over to Skype. It has better quality than iChat A/V (at least sound, I haven't used it yet for video) and it works between the two main OS's without a problem. Plus you can call phone numbers for free in the US? Why is anyone still using Messenger AIM or iChat?

For the most part I agree, but I use iChat as my primary because the video chat is much better then on Skype. Also Skype crashes a bit to much for my liking. However, I am usually only using the beta's so I can't complain about the crashes too much.

Nermal
Oct 2, 2006, 01:56 AM
Why is anyone still using Messenger?

Because everyone else does. For one thing, MSN is designed for text, and people who prefer to type are less likely to jump over to voice-oriented Skype. In addition, it's one thing to switch yourself, and quite another to get all your friends to switch too. That's the same reason I don't use iChat: Because nobody else does. Plus I like Adium better :p

bousozoku
Oct 2, 2006, 02:33 AM
Because everyone else does. For one thing, MSN is designed for text, and people who prefer to type are less likely to jump over to voice-oriented Skype. In addition, it's one thing to switch yourself, and quite another to get all your friends to switch too. That's the same reason I don't use iChat: Because nobody else does. Plus I like Adium better :p

The last figures I saw (last week) were that AIM and its variants had the majority, followed closely by MSN and Yahoo!. I'm pleased that the new Yahoo! client is/will be interoperable with the new MSN client.

We know that Microsoft isn't going to add the video and audio protocols, but at least, we have Skype and Yahoo! and iChat. I'd say that we're doing okay...without Adium. ;)

Nermal
Oct 2, 2006, 02:53 AM
The last figures I saw (last week) were that AIM and its variants had the majority, followed closely by MSN and Yahoo!.

In which country? It's apparently a regional thing: MSN is the "service of choice" here, you don't use AIM or Yahoo. I guess part of it is due to an agreement between MSN and NZ's biggest ISP, where they promote MSN services. Interestingly, they (the ISP) are pulling the contract at the end of the year and are rumoured to jump ship to Yahoo.

generik
Oct 2, 2006, 03:25 AM
Does it support nudges? If not I will just stick with Adium

Nermal
Oct 2, 2006, 03:27 AM
Thankfully it does not.

generik
Oct 2, 2006, 03:27 AM
Urgh

SPUY767
Oct 2, 2006, 04:04 AM

Correction, sound quality isn't even close. I use skype to call people in lieu of my cell b/c sometimes sprint decides to tell me to go screw myself and gives me no service at home. Sometimes, I can't even understand the other party or vice-versa. I like skype just as much as the next guy, but it is what it is.

bousozoku
Oct 2, 2006, 04:20 AM
In which country? It's apparently a regional thing: MSN is the "service of choice" here, you don't use AIM or Yahoo. I guess part of it is due to an agreement between MSN and NZ's biggest ISP, where they promote MSN services. Interestingly, they (the ISP) are pulling the contract at the end of the year and are rumoured to jump ship to Yahoo.

I'm looking for the report but I'm not sure where I saw it. I believe that it was global and AIM had the numbers merely because of the U.S.A. but people I know in Malaysia, Singapore, and Canada mostly use MSN, though I've converted a few to Skype.

Does it support nudges? If not I will just stick with Adium

The Yahoo! beta client supports the equivalent of nudges, though the MSN client does not.

bonforte
Oct 2, 2006, 11:42 AM
I'll take Y! Messenger 3.0 over MSN's anyday. And I will take Gizmo Project's excellent Mac client over Skype, as well. The guys behind Growl are behind the Yahoo! Messenger, so I know it is going to just get better and better.

mkrishnan
Oct 2, 2006, 11:50 AM
I'll take Y! Messenger 3.0 over MSN's anyday. And I will take Gizmo Project's excellent Mac client over Skype, as well. The guys behind Growl are behind the Yahoo! Messenger, so I know it is going to just get better and better.

All I really want is interoperability... on a single person basis, this is a great solution. But in the long run, five new AV chat standards every year is not a solution to anything.... I'd rather have fair quality AV chat with my existing buddy list than get several new programs and have one person on each one of them and constantly have to switch and so on....

Hopefully the rumors that Yahoo will include AV interoperability with MSN by the time the new Y! Messenger are done are true. :)