PDA

View Full Version : Data Transfer Issue Powerbook G4 -> Macbook Pro

minijega
Oct 2, 2006, 03:24 PM
Sorry...posted in wrong thread..

So I got my new MacBook Pro (running 10.4.8) and I want to transfer my files from the old'n trusty PowerBook G4 (running 10.3.7).

Sounds simple right? I have a firewire->firewire cable, I booted my G4 in firewire drive mode by holding down "F" and followed the instructions in Migration Assistant.

What happens? Absolutely Nothing!

All I see in Migration Assistant is the message "...waiting for disks to mount..." It hangs right there. I let it sit for 30 mins. Nothing happened. Tried it several times.

Any Ideeas? PLEASE! Any hellp is greatly appreciated.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Clix Pix
Oct 2, 2006, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't try migrating from a G4 machine to an intel-based machine, period. That is very risky. Obviously the machine is telling you that, too!

You're going to have to set the new machine up however you want it, then install software and then transfer just your files.

I've just gotten a Mac Pro and did not migrate any of my stuff from my G5 iMac; instead I'm doing everything fresh and new, making sure all software is up to date and working well with the intel-based Mac Pro, etc., before I put in any of my files.