PDA

View Full Version : Check out my new site


wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 04:36 AM
Hey folks, I just posted a new site and I'd love your input/feedback. It's my first site ever, so please be gentle. So, without further ado, my very first website! (http://www.auburn.edu/student_info/greeks/alpha_xi_delta).

I designed it for my girlfriend's sorority in exchange for Dreamweaver MX (as a down payment) and Fireworks MX (to be delivered upon completion). I got a bonus for completing it a week early (Trivial Pursuit 20th Anniversary Edition). I designed all of the site-specific images myself with Photoshop 7 and put the thing together with Dreamweaver (obviously).

Some sections aren't yet up (the members pages) as the content has yet to be delivered. Everything should be there otherwise.

Again, I'd love your feedback. Any tips or suggestions you might have would be more than welcome.

RandomDeadHead
Apr 8, 2003, 05:16 AM
I think IMO it need to look better, (NO offense) Right now it looks kind of bland. The intro page is nice, but once you get to the main site it is kind of a let down. It kinda looks like it was made on a PC. No personality what so ever.

Might want to find a cooler navigaton or remote. Mabe a cheezy animated giff, you know, to break the ice. (joke) Needs more of a Mac feel you know aqua.

It does look very professional, and if you were going for plain and simple, you have achieved it. But still it needs SOME graphics.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, why is Internet Explorer only?:(

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 05:41 AM
Ha, I knew someone would comment on the IE thing. It's actually because I used mixed fonts on some pages to comingle the Roman text with the Greek letters. I tested it in 7 browsers (IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, iCab, Opera, and Safari) and only got proper text display with IE. If there's a better way to ensure proper display then PLEASE let me know. I hate having to shut out folks who aren't using a Microsoft product.

As for the appearance, I'm currently adding pictures to a lot of the pages, so I think that'll help liven it up. As for the overall feel of the site, the clients wanted to keep it looking pretty professional so it'd stand out from all of the "sorority girl" looking websites on campus. You know, no goofy fonts like marker felt and no animated gifs of teddy bears dancing around. But yeah, it is sort of supposed to look a little business'y.

I am planning on altering the nav bar as soon as Fireworks comes in (out of stock in the campus bookstore, so it may be a week or so). I'll keep the categories in their down state when the menu is displayed, and I'm hoping to give a bit of texture to the bar, menus, and marquee. Just not quite sure how, that's all.

Any more suggestions? :)

Roger1
Apr 8, 2003, 06:34 AM
Ha, I knew someone would comment on the IE thing. It's actually because I used mixed fonts on some pages to comingle the Roman text with the Greek letters. I tested it in 7 browsers (IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, iCab, Opera, and Safari) and only got proper text display with IE. If there's a better way to ensure proper display then PLEASE let me know. I hate having to shut out folks who aren't using a Microsoft product.



Can't you mix the text using PhotoShop, and save as a JPG? Wouldn't that solve your problem? It might be a little more work, but it would open up the browser requirements.

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 06:38 AM
How do you mean mix the text using Photoshop? Should I create gifs for the Greek characters and insert them into the text? I'd think I'd run into text wrapping issues when doing that. Or do you mean to creat all the text in Photoshop and save it all as jpegs/gifs and just post the content as pictures of text? Then I'd lose all of my links. I'm confused. :confused:

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 07:37 AM
Check it again now. I've updated a lot of the pages with pictures, so that should serve to liven up the site just a bit.

Anyone else have any suggestions or input? How about some of you certified Dreamweaver ninjas out there? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 07:58 AM
Ok here's a rundown of the browser compatability issues I'm having. Maybe the details can help you guys figure out a work around so I can get this site open to more browsers.

IE-Everything looks and acts exactly like it should.

Safari-Neither the main font set (Optima, News Gothic MT, Arial, Sans Serif) nor the Greek letters (Symbol) appear appropriately, and are instead all displayed as Arial. Behaviors function properly.

Opera, Mozilla, and Netscape-The main font set displays the text properly and the behaviors work, but the Greek letters are displayed as default font.

OmniWeb and iCab-All of the text is formatted properly, but the JavaScript for the rollover menus doesn't function at all.

The problem is really all over the place. I've no idea why IE is the only browser that'll behave properly here. Any ideas?

Roger1
Apr 8, 2003, 07:59 AM
How do you mean mix the text using Photoshop? Should I create gifs for the Greek characters and insert them into the text? I'd think I'd run into text wrapping issues when doing that. Or do you mean to creat all the text in Photoshop and save it all as jpegs/gifs and just post the content as pictures of text? Then I'd lose all of my links. I'm confused

What I meant was to make just the greek stuff in photoshop, and insert in the text (sorry forgot about alignement issues). It might work, thought, if you use a fixed table width, rather than a percentage. Or try keeping the table data width fixed, rather thatn a percentage. that might do the trick. BTW, good job on your first website. :)

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 08:04 AM
I'll give the photoshop idea a run, man. Good idea. Thanks for the complement, btw. I'm hoping Fireworks expands my repertoire a bit. Not bad for a weeks worth of work with no experience, though. ;)

teabgs
Apr 8, 2003, 08:31 AM
I refuse to launch IE just to look at this webpage.

There is no reason to make it IE only unless you wanna piss people off.

You need to make it non browser specific if you want it to be a good site. I hate when I have to use a browser other than Safari (which is very very rare).

you need to worry about that before anything else.

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 08:39 AM
Hey man, I already explained the IE situation. If you've got any ideas for workarounds then please let me know. I'm not trying to piss anyone off here. I just want to make sure that the page is displayed properly, thus ensuring a quality experience for the viewer. I'd love to be able to allow users of other browsers to view the site. Hell, I use Safari as my primary browser, so I understand your beef. That said, please don't berate me over an issue that I've tried to fix and haven't been able to overcome. I'm quite sure that I'm not the only web designer who's had problems with "alternative" browsers displaying pages as designed. Like I said, if you've got any suggestions then fire away. :)

teabgs
Apr 8, 2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by wsteineker
Hey man, I already explained the IE situation. If you've got any ideas for workarounds then please let me know. I'm not trying to piss anyone off here. I just want to make sure that the page is displayed properly, thus ensuring a quality experience for the viewer. I'd love to be able to allow users of other browsers to view the site. Hell, I use Safari as my primary browser, so I understand your beef. That said, please don't berate me over an issue that I've tried to fix and haven't been able to overcome. I'm quite sure that I'm not the only web designer who's had problems with "alternative" browsers displaying pages as designed. Like I said, if you've got any suggestions then fire away. :)

Sorry if it came out harsh. I should have read the whole thread before posting I hadn't had my coffee yet, I didn't mean to be harsh, I was just saying. Sorry if it came out wrong...

Wish I had a fix, but alas, I don't. pm RowerCPU. He's a web wiz... designed my webpage for me, it works with all browers and is pretty complex(I think). He'll have a way. ;)

Moxiemike
Apr 8, 2003, 08:47 AM
I probably shouldn't comment at all... i think most people here know my predlection against non-designers pretending to be designers.

I don't pretend to be a poly-sci student...but its ok for anyone to be a designer, design a web site, lowball prices and make the whole industry a little worse the wear for guys like eye, myself, et. al. who do this stuff for a living and constantly put up with the "i'll have my secretary design it"

Yea. And watch it look like crap. THEN call me....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"it's one thing to put words on a page. It's another to put them on a page in accordance to an aesthetic"

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 08:58 AM
Teabgs, don't sweat it. It's totally understandable. I pulled an all nighter to get the site live, so I'm dragging myself. Thanks for the input and the suggestion. :)

Moxie, I understand where you're coming from too. That said, I really enjoyed building this site. I also learned a lot that I'll be able to use in building my next one. I'm planning on taking some design courses this summer and fall, so that should help me a bit. I'm only 22 and this is my very first site, so cut me a little slack. I'm seriously thinking about trying to do this for a living and you basically just told me that I lowered the bar for an entire industry. Give me a break, man. I think that given my limited experience (I only started this a week ago), resources, and tools, I did a pretty good job. It's not professional because I'm not a pro. The client needed something delivered at a certain price point (sub $250) and I met that need. I like to think that while it doesn't have any pretty logos or Flash menus, the interface is clean, intuitive, and understated. That's what the client wanted. I do wish I could have done it better, but everyone's gotta start somewhere. :rolleyes:

Moxiemike
Apr 8, 2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by wsteineker
Teabgs, don't sweat it. It's totally understandable. I pulled an all nighter to get the site live, so I'm dragging myself. Thanks for the input and the suggestion. :)

Moxie, I understand where you're coming from too. That said, I really enjoyed building this site. I also learned a lot that I'll be able to use in building my next one. I'm planning on taking some design courses this summer and fall, so that should help me a bit. I'm only 22 and this is my very first site, so cut me a little slack. I'm seriously thinking about trying to do this for a living and you basically just told me that I lowered the bar for an entire industry. Give me a break, man. I think that given my limited experience (I only started this a week ago), resources, and tools, I did a pretty good job. It's not professional because I'm not a pro. The client needed something delivered at a certain price point (sub $250) and I met that need. I like to think that while it doesn't have any pretty logos or Flash menus, the interface is clean, intuitive, and understated. That's what the client wanted. I do wish I could have done it better, but everyone's gotta start somewhere. :rolleyes:

I didn't say you specifically... but there's a lot of this out there... people throwing low ball prices for web design. And it hurts everyone.

While I do admire your spunk in trying something new, and seeing if you have what it takes/would enjoy the field/etc, there's more to the design biz than just putting together a layout.

You're aesthetic on the front page is good. you could have followed it up with something that was business like but a little more dynamic than what you have. (not taht what you have is bad)

You could do something a bit more dynamic with the type-- and not just adding pictures. Perhaps staggering columns, or something, so it doesn't look so top-down.

You could alos remove the margins of the page (top, left and right) to make the color bars bleed across.

i would have also recommended that you take the lighter blue and make it a different color (maybe use that dark blue and toggle with the colors-- yellow on blue to blue on yellow) as opposed to that light blue--a bit too constrasty making the yellow appear thinner and less legible that it could be.

I'd also like to see you play with the photos a bit. You have a generally soft feel with your color scheme, opening graphic and font choice of Optima (a softer version of a trad serif font) and as such, i'd like to see photos with a vignetted or soft edge.

as i said, you're not off to a bad start. But I do think that if you wanna get into this sort of thing, you could benefit from a little study (we all could) and refine your technique a bit.

not bad for a first try though.

**edit**

Check out the cleanliness of some of these sites:

http://www.cnn.com/
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.billabongeurope.com/index.cfm

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 09:13 AM
Now that's what I'm talking about! Excellent suggestions all around, man. I really appreciate it. I'll be able to implement the menu color changes (color toggling) as soon as Fireworks comes in, and softening the lighter blue had already occurred to me. The photo idea is also excellent. I'll check into the columns, too. All great ideas, man. Thanks! :D

Moxiemike
Apr 8, 2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by wsteineker
Now that's what I'm talking about! Excellent suggestions all around, man. I really appreciate it. I'll be able to implement the menu color changes (color toggling) as soon as Fireworks comes in, and softening the lighter blue had already occurred to me. The photo idea is also excellent. I'll check into the columns, too. All great ideas, man. Thanks! :D

Here's a nice site a friend of mine did showing the vignetting/softening of photos... and what you can do with LOTS (and i mean lots) of text:

http://www.nationalroadpa.org/

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 09:23 AM
The vignetting on those photos is gorgeous. What kind of filters did he run to achieve that? I noticed that some of the images are only softened on two sides. What kind of Photoshop sorcery is that?

Moxiemike
Apr 8, 2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by wsteineker
The vignetting on those photos is gorgeous. What kind of filters did he run to achieve that? I noticed that some of the images are only softened on two sides. What kind of Photoshop sorcery is that?

Generally she uses the dodge or burn tools (depending on the background) and the eraser tool set at various opacity levels in the top toolbar.

Play around with one or two photos...

Take note of how she also staggered photos and text-- one section has photo on left, text on right and vice versa.

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 09:32 AM
I'm definitely going to play around with the layout this afternoon. The menus will get a fix with some softer colors and the aforementioned color changes soon. I think that will go a long way towards making this site worth a spot on the old resume. ;)

Moxiemike
Apr 8, 2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by wsteineker
I'm definitely going to play around with the layout this afternoon. The menus will get a fix with some softer colors and the aforementioned color changes soon. I think that will go a long way towards making this site worth a spot on the old resume. ;)

If it's not worth a spot on the resumé is it worth doing? ya know?

Make it a spot on the resumé... if not, it doesn't matter if you did it for free or a million dollars.

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Moxiemike
If it's not worth a spot on the resumé is it worth doing? ya know?

Make it a spot on the resumé... if not, it doesn't matter if you did it for free or a million dollars.

I knew I liked you. I just knew it. :)

AlphaTech
Apr 8, 2003, 09:43 AM
Not a bad site design...

On my own site, I hope to be changing the header graphic soon. Not only will I have a real logo to place there, but I also hope to have a graphic that is more in line with what the site is all about. Once I have the main pages updated (graphically) I will proceed to make the other sections match as close as possible. The store should be easier then the discussion boards, but who knows.

As far as a site working with Safari, I really wouldn't worry about it until it is out of beta and the full version is released. Safari STILL has problems with sites that use CSS (which mine does). EVERY other browser that I have tested my site with has 0 issues with the CSS, but Safari does. :rolleyes: Gee, a BETA application has problems with something that the other full release applications doesn't... go figure :eek: :rolleyes:

eyelikeart
Apr 8, 2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Moxiemike
If it's not worth a spot on the resumé is it worth doing? ya know?

good point man...

I didn't even get to look. I'm running Safari, and while I have IE installed on here, I'm too lazy to launch it while running this browser. See the biggest problem encountered already? Just imagine the people who will navigate away because they are lazy asses like I am! :eek:

a side note...and this is something that I see A LOT from amateurs...limit your font usage to 2-3 styles...

u have a couple sans serif fonts in there, and there's not need for it..not when most users won't have all of them installed anyway.

don't try to make up for design by dressing it up with too much font... ;)

AlphaTech
Apr 8, 2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I didn't even get to look. I'm running Safari, and while I have IE installed on here, I'm too lazy to launch it while running this browser. See the biggest problem encountered already? Just imagine the people who will navigate away because they are lazy asses like I am! :eek:

a side note...and this is something that I see A LOT from amateurs...limit your font usage to 2-3 styles...

u have a couple sans serif fonts in there, and there's not need for it..not when most users won't have all of them installed anyway.

don't try to make up for design by dressing it up with too much font... ;)

You lazy bastard... heh...

As for the font thing, I went with arial since it is a cross platform font that EVERYONE has on their system. It's also easy on the eyes, which will keep people more then a font that is too thin and difficult to read.

[slightly off-topic]Anyone know when Opera for the Mac will be updated?? Unless they have released a new version in the past month, I'm on the latest (v6). The pc version is up to 7, those bastards.[/slightly off-topic]

Moxiemike
Apr 8, 2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
good point man...

I didn't even get to look. I'm running Safari, and while I have IE installed on here, I'm too lazy to launch it while running this browser. See the biggest problem encountered already? Just imagine the people who will navigate away because they are lazy asses like I am! :eek:

a side note...and this is something that I see A LOT from amateurs...limit your font usage to 2-3 styles...

u have a couple sans serif fonts in there, and there's not need for it..not when most users won't have all of them installed anyway.

don't try to make up for design by dressing it up with too much font... ;)

Nailed it eye. You are a lazy a$$

And yea. your points about design are spot on too.

I barely ever use more than one family. maybe garamond with bold and bookweight. Enough for an ad. Apple did it for YEARS. :)

eyelikeart
Apr 8, 2003, 10:01 AM
I tend to go for 2 typefaces sometimes if I need to, if anything...but generally just 1 with variations (bold, boltitalic, etc).

There's plenty of rules of design that are often broken to get genius results, but most of the time it turns into tackiness. Don't be tacky man. ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing your work...

maradong
Apr 8, 2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by wsteineker
Ha, I knew someone would comment on the IE thing. It's actually because I used mixed fonts on some pages to comingle the Roman text with the Greek letters. I tested it in 7 browsers (IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, iCab, Opera, and Safari) and only got proper text display with IE. If there's a better way to ensure proper display then PLEASE let me know. I hate having to shut out folks who aren't using a Microsoft product.

As for the appearance, I'm currently adding pictures to a lot of the pages, so I think that'll help liven it up. As for the overall feel of the site, the clients wanted to keep it looking pretty professional so it'd stand out from all of the "sorority girl" looking websites on campus. You know, no goofy fonts like marker felt and no animated gifs of teddy bears dancing around. But yeah, it is sort of supposed to look a little business'y.

I am planning on altering the nav bar as soon as Fireworks comes in (out of stock in the campus bookstore, so it may be a week or so). I'll keep the categories in their down state when the menu is displayed, and I'm hoping to give a bit of texture to the bar, menus, and marquee. Just not quite sure how, that's all.

Any more suggestions? :)

For me there is no problem to see the site with mozilla, once the in the site and the address copied into mozilla.
Though I got 1.3 . Have you tested your hp with moz 1.3 or an earlier version?

For the rest, I like it.

Rower_CPU
Apr 8, 2003, 11:01 AM
OK, here goes...

1) I agree with everyone else about the browser sniffer: remove it as soon as possible. Restricting page views to a particular browser only results in lower total page views.

2) I checked the pages real quick in Safari and Camino and the fonts looked fine. Greek letters showed up fine. There's no need to force specific fonts on the user, as long as you provide a fall-back to at least a sans-serif or serif family. Which brings me to my 3rd point...

3) Look into CSS for specifying fonts. The <FONT> tag is deprecated in current HTML and should be phased out if at all possible. CSS will give you faster page load times, and lets you specify formatiing from one central document. You can specify that all <H1> tags be Arial Bold at 18 points in the CSS file and then anytime you place an <H1> in your HTML you will get that font; no need to write out the whole <FONT> tag everytime.

4) Once you do open up the pages to other browsers you'll need to check your javascript. Camino had a hard time naviagting from page to page via your drop down menus.

I've got plenty more suggesstions, but I think that's enough for now. :)

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 01:34 PM
Rower,
I'm totally getting into CSS for the layout. I just didn't have time to do it with the initial site. Can I integrate it without rewriting the content?

You said the fonts looked alright in Safari and Camino? I can't get them to display properly. They're not supposed to say AXD, but instead the Greek characters Alpha, Xi, and Delta. Maybe it's just the old Cube taking a breather after generating library items all night. ;)

As for the JavaScript, I'll admit to being an idiot here. I have absolutely no idea how to hand tune that stuff. I'll get a book and give it a try.

Thanks everyone for all of the GREAT input and suggestions. I really appreciate it. I'll post another thread with the updated site as soon as I get it taken care of. Thanks again! :D

Rower_CPU
Apr 8, 2003, 01:45 PM
I see what you mean with the Greek letters.

How about you use the ampersand characters instead?

&Alpha;&Xi;&Delta;

&Alpha;&Xi;&Delta;

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 01:50 PM
Good call. I'll fiddle with the code here in a minute (have to finish with the posting first :)). I'll let you know if it works. If so, then I'll open it up to all browsers except the ones with JavaScript issues (OmniWeb, iCab). Thanks again, man.

Moxiemike
Apr 8, 2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
I see what you mean with the Greek letters.

How about you use the ampersand characters instead?

&Alpha;&Xi;&Delta;

&Alpha;&Xi;&Delta;

nice goin' rower

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 02:00 PM
Ok, I'm not using PHP, just plain old HTML. How do I trigger the ampersand characters in HTML?

Something like this maybe? Like I said, I'm VERY new at all of this.

&amp;&A;&X;&D;

Rower_CPU
Apr 8, 2003, 02:47 PM
Those are the HTML characters. I used the PHP function here so you could see what the code looks like without the page reading them as the Greek letters.

Just copy/paste the text from above directly into your code view. :)

wsteineker
Apr 8, 2003, 09:48 PM
Oh my god, it worked! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Thanks a million guys. The ampersand characters have been inserted site wide. That still doesn't fix the JavaScript problems in Omniweb and iCab, but it does open up Safar, Mozilla, and Netscape. This is just GREAT! Thanks a million guys. I'll keep posting progress reports here. :D

Rower_CPU
Apr 9, 2003, 12:15 AM
Great. Glad to help. :)

wsteineker
Apr 9, 2003, 04:48 PM
OK so the ampersand characters are now sitewide and i'm removing the browser sniffer in just a minute. I'm trying to make the pages more visually appealing, and with that in mind I've softened the images a lot. I ran into a stumbling point that I was hoping you guys cold help me with. I'm trying to use tables to place the layout into columns and sections. I know how to do this and when I try to make it happen on a blank page the results are pretty good. When I try to do the same inside my template things just don't work. If you've seen the site then you know that everything below the nav bar is for content, and that's all an editable region in my template. My question is how do I place tables and cells there?

Rower_CPU
Apr 9, 2003, 05:52 PM
You'll have to decide if you want the entire table to be editable or not. If so, just put the whole thing between your editable tags and you should be fine.

You can put the beginning and end table tags outside of the editable region, and still have relative freedom within your rows and cells.

wsteineker
Apr 9, 2003, 06:07 PM
I'm trying to use design view for the tables just to have a better sense of the aesthetic of the page. I can insert tables in standard view, but I can't actually draw them in layout view. This severely decreases my flexibility. Any ideas?

GeneR
Apr 10, 2003, 10:47 AM
I've designed a bit in the past (usually as favors to non-computer-literate friends) but usually with Macromedia Flash. I'm still a bit baffled (no offense anyone! :D ) that people still design non-flash websites. While the affects of Photoshop are excellent (as seen through the examples given, I think using these layout strengths with Flash will only add to the user experience.)

I can understand if you wish to update the text later or allow one of the sisters of the sorority to do it, you'd probably want to keep the site in HTML, however, if you could incorporate Flash into your site or even redo the site altogether so it is completely in Flash, I think you'll have a much better resume piece. Also, I am wondering if Javascript is a little passe at this point?

One site to check out: FlashKit.com gives you a lot of freebies that you can use on your sites.

Second, download Macromedia Flash MX from Macromedia.com. They give you a 30-day trial version which should be more than enough time to make this Sorority website in flash. If not, get the Sorority to buy it for you! They should be able to use an educational discount rate from the school or at JourneyEd.com. However which way you want to do it.

IMHO I think the websites that are being made and demonstrated on this thread are great. I think their strengths all point to one operative function that websites service: they all provide a user experience. The more immersive the experience the better. Anyway, best of luck!

:D

pinks
Apr 10, 2003, 11:46 AM
As with others, I like the look of the photos and insignia you have included - really sharp against the white bg. The exception to this is the heritage page which might do with a bit of evolution... buts it all very subjective, so don't worry about it. Also, the dark blue banner at the top disguises the Auburn University a bit, so you might want to do something about that. Where is Auburn btw, and what exactly is this organisation? In the UK (I'm at the University of London) we have nothing along these lines! All sounds very cliquey! :confused:

Under the Members menu, there is an option called Bear Facts - are these facts about bears (i.e. ursine information), or do you mean 'bare' facts (i.e. facts exposed to scrutiny).

Good though. In fact, very good for a primo effort. Post others when you do them! :)

- pinks

wsteineker
Apr 10, 2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by pinks
As with others, I like the look of the photos and insignia you have included - really sharp against the white bg. The exception to this is the heritage page which might do with a bit of evolution... buts it all very subjective, so don't worry about it. Also, the dark blue banner at the top disguises the Auburn University a bit, so you might want to do something about that. Where is Auburn btw, and what exactly is this organisation? In the UK (I'm at the University of London) we have nothing along these lines! All sounds very cliquey! :confused:

Under the Members menu, there is an option called Bear Facts - are these facts about bears (i.e. ursine information), or do you mean 'bare' facts (i.e. facts exposed to scrutiny).

Good though. In fact, very good for a primo effort. Post others when you do them! :)

- pinks

Ha. No, the organization is a sorority at Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama. As for the banner, I'm considering lightening the blue in which Auburn's name is written a shade or two to help it stand out. Bear facts, to the best of my knowledge, have very little to do with actual bears. The sorority's mascot is a bear, and the chapter meeting notes are, therefore, referred to as Bear Facts.

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. The site is still (very much) a work in progress. I'm going to vignette all of the photos so that they integrate into the pages a bit better, and I'm planning on varying text placement so that it doesn't look so "top down". As for the JavaScript in the rollover menus, I'm at a loss as to a more efficient way to do it. Flash seems like a good next step, but I'd like to keep the site as lean and undemanding as possible. Sorority girls do not, in general, have bleeding edge computers. I'm thinking of a menu redesign in Fireworks to give it a bit more depth. I'll keep this thread updated with changes. Thanks to everyone for all the great input so far. Please feel free to check back occasionally and continue to offer your insight. :)

Mr. Anderson
Apr 10, 2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by GeneR
I've designed a bit in the past (usually as favors to non-computer-literate friends) but usually with Macromedia Flash. I'm still a bit baffled (no offense anyone! :D ) that people still design non-flash websites. While the affects of Photoshop are excellent (as seen through the examples given, I think using these layout strengths with Flash will only add to the user experience.)

you have any examples? I'd love to see them, doing a bunch myself as well.

D

GeneR
Apr 10, 2003, 10:04 PM
Of the sites I designed that remain, here they are:

http://www.neonorchid.com
http://www.angeldirectory.com
http://www.twotreesent.com

Eh. I'm not terribly impressed with my own work. But hey, if it works it works. :D