Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Computerworld's Mike Elgan believes that the Zune "scares Apple to the core."

He offered five reasons: a consumer media "perfect storm" launched by Microsoft; Zune's social and viral aspects; the ultimate availability of more programming than iTunes; a better screen for movies; and the "cool factor."

"Apple faces the prospect of competing not with the Zune alone, but with a mighty Windows-Soapbox-Xbox-Zune industrial complex."

In the Entertainment section, probably appropriately. Enjoy.

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/entertainment/53358.html

;)

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
I think this might be a good way for Apple to see how the market reacts to those kinds of features, without actually trying them.

I know for me, the video functions, screen, sharing, etc are useless. The iPod is a music player, and its nice that it can play a video, but I wouldn't sacrifice its slender build for any of the features that Zune offers...

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
"When it comes to watching that content, he said that "the Zune's screen is just as good -- and larger than the iPod's. More importantly, it can be turned sideways for a wide-screen movie experience, which is vastly superior to watching movies on an iPod."

Wow, somebody didn't do their research. Not only is the Zune's screen only .5 inches larger, but it's the SAME aspect ratio and the SAME resolution, which means LESS quality video appearance.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
MovieCutter said:
"When it comes to watching that content, he said that "the Zune's screen is just as good -- and larger than the iPod's. More importantly, it can be turned sideways for a wide-screen movie experience, which is vastly superior to watching movies on an iPod."

Wow, somebody didn't do their research. Not only is the Zune's screen only .5 inches larger, but it's the SAME aspect ratio and the SAME resolution, which means LESS quality video appearance.

indeed. but consumers will certainly be tricked by this.

i'm still loving how people credit MS with the design when they didn't have anything to do with it really. they picked someone else to do all the work for them rather than develop it in-house.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Also, as engadget reported earlier, the wireless capability is totally useless. The Zune is only a contender because it has all the might of microsoft behind it. Thats it. Well, that and a bigger screen. When the full screen ipod comes out, the zune will fade into obscurity. Of course, this could be one of those posts that somebody brings up 5 years from now in the "Zune reaches 99% market share" thread...

PerfectlyFlawed

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2006
I don't see why people are all so excited about it.

1. it has wireless but the reason and use of is absolutely pointless. you receive a song from someone else's zune and can listen to it up to 3 times within a 3 day window then it stops working and you have to buy it what the hell!!!

2. as for a larger screen I really don't care. to be able to watch videos is nice I use it to go over a film project, while on the run just to make sure it came out right. but really how many people actually watch movies on it. I have a psp I got to watch movies on I never use that, I had a portable DVD player I very rarely used that.

other than hooking up the ipod to a TV, I think video support is a useless novelty feature

but for apple's sake I hope they do get this new ipod out because all the ignorant people are just gonna look at the fancy-made-known features of the "Zune" and go after it. but if they do hold off a little while they better have some amazing features like a built in quality digital camera - now that would be nice.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Just read the article and I have to ask, what is the 5th reason?

I see Market forces, Sharing Fever, More Content and Bigger Screen, and Surprisingly cool, but I don't see a fifth reason.

In reality, I see the Zune being in the market, and competing with makers like Creative, but saying it will over take the iPod is a very bold statement.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Danksi said:
Another reason for Apple to get it's 'true video' iPod out ASAP.
And if it is the rumored full screen version (screen same size as the iPod), it will be fantastic.

My guess is that we are not too far away from seeing it.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
"Cool factor" is definitely not on the Zune's side. Of course I might be being harsh on a first generation product, but for now by looking at current offerings, Apple wins.

Quantity of content and pricing, however, is important. Will have to reserve judgement to see what happens, though. After all, by the time Microsoft begins selling movies next year, Apple may have gained more footholds with other studios.

The Zune's bigger screen is something the iPod will have to answer to. They have several months to do it, until Microsoft puts movies and TV shows onto its online marketplace.

The Zune Wi-Fi is currently pretty worthless. There's potential in Wi-Fi, such as in being able to download music on-demand (especially at wireless campuses) but the Zune seems to mainly use the Wi-Fi for peer-to-peer sharing. I'm not complaining about the feature, and I think it's not too bad. However, with a 3 song limitation (I don't mind about 3 days) I think that I'd rather stick to burning my friends a CD of music they want.

Overall, I think the Zune has some good points that need refining. I hope that M$ can give Apple a run for its money, to encourage Apple to become more innovate and develop the iPod more. However, I'm placing my bets on Apple to give the Zune a good kick in the pants for this round, and maybe for next round if Apple gets a kickin' video ipod out.

tvguru

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Kenora, ON Canada
All in all, competition is a good thing and if it takes more market share then expected it will spur development from both camps. To me that's the most important thing that will come of this. It's not like Apple have been sitting on their hands, but if the Zune gains enough market share, Apple will have no choice but to kick it up another notch.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
tvguru said:
All in all, competition is a good thing and if it takes more market share then expected it will spur development from both camps. To me that's the most important thing that will come of this. It's not like Apple have been sitting on their hands, but if the Zune gains enough market share, Apple will have no choice but to kick it up another notch.

i agree and this is what competition brings ... the best product that consumers can enjoy at a fair price! hey, i'm all out for that. doesn't mean i'll buy zune though :)

XNine

macrumors 68040
Competition IS a good thing, but this device hardly competes. I mean, the thing comes in BROWN for Christ's sake. Who in their right ****ing mind would buy that thing? Then again, it's made of cheap plastic, and has the ever-so-useless feature as wi-fi when they could have put something more useful, like BLUETOOTH for head phones in it.

People will see it as an iPod rip-off, and only the die-hard Ms fan/Apple hater will buy one, or parents that think "it's the same thing as an iPod" will get one for their kid for christmas.

LAME.

tvguru

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Kenora, ON Canada
Onizuka said:
Competition IS a good thing, but this device hardly competes. I mean, the thing comes in BROWN for Christ's sake. Who in their right ****ing mind would buy that thing? Then again, it's made of cheap plastic, and has the ever-so-useless feature as wi-fi when they could have put something more useful, like BLUETOOTH for head phones in it.

People will see it as an iPod rip-off, and only the die-hard Ms fan/Apple hater will buy one, or parents that think "it's the same thing as an iPod" will get one for their kid for christmas.

LAME.

Competition doesn't need to be on par for it to gain market share. I don't think that it measures up to the current iPod, but I haven't gotten my hands on it yet. (I won't be buying one either unless it's amazing, which doesn't appear to be the case.) Just look at the Betamax vs. VHS. Point is competition is good even if it doesn't look like it's going to be the next best thing. Besides it's nice to see Apple crush the competition in the publics eye, instead of just with better software and design, in the Mac, that to public doesn't seem to take notice to. (But appear to slowly notice.)

dshootist

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2005
Seriously...

EricNau said:
If Apple was really "scared to the core" we'd have a better iPod by now.

Ah, it was just a way for the author to throw in a little wordplay. But seriously, when was the last time the Microlimp folks actually came out with something cool? I mean, change the culture irreversibly cool. It would hve to be measured in decades. Xbox and Xbox 360 are just game consoles, albeit great consoles, but I wouldn't throw them in the cool column. When was their last MS version of a G3 non-beige tower? iMac? Flat 30" cinema display? Aperture? iPod? iLife? Garage Band? iPhoto? iTunes? OSX? Even the Newton was there to be the forefather of the Palm device. Hell, they still have issues with trying to read files from Macs. MS does sheep dip.:D But they do it well...

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I don't think that article was particually accurate, it showed Apple as a one trick pony with the iPod while Microsoft have everything going for in regards to operating system, software, console systems, money and support of its products. Apple has had these things beside an "Xbox" for years, Mac OSX, iLife, Pro Apps, great hardware and money behind it, seems like the article has been written by an M$ fanboy.

Competition is a good thing but I really can't see an MP3 player with less features and support knocking the iPod out of its number one position.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
jessica. said:
I do like the zune and I think it'll motivate apple more.

I'm not a fan of the Zune, but I agree that it'll motivate Apple more. Some of the Zune's features are noteworthy, and hopefully Apple will take the principle of them and improve them further (I'd like wireless syncing for example - temporary sharing of file isn't a bad idea either, especially if it translates into iTunes sales...).

The Zune is yet to register on my radar over in Blighty. Sure there were a few articles when it was announced, but since then - nada.

Apple may well release a new top-end iPod right after Zune is released... so I have been told ;) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.