Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrSmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Hi,

My first post after lurking for over a year.

I have had a 12 inch powerbook for a year (was a long time pc user) and am now thinking of getting the 1.83 Mac Mini to move even more to the Mac side.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts if now is a good time to buy. Not to worried about the upgrade cycle, although would be annoyed if they came up with something new in a couple of weeks, more concerned with any problems with the early versions of the intel macs. Biggest problem I see with the minis is the poor airport reception. Is it that bad...bad enough to wait for revision 3?

Graphics...it wont be used for games, so not worried about that. But I do want to view HD content on my TV, is it good enough to handle that?

Thanks in advance, and feel free to add any other thoughts on something I might be missing .:)

Br

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
You might as well get one now since they just upgraded the base machine from 1 cpu to 2. The dual 1.66 sounds perfect for you and its HD ready if you will. Whats stopping you?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I got one, I would get one if I have to choose again.

You are right about the Airport reception though, guess it is the side effect of having the antenna encased in metal.

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
the night time is the right time

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
There are supposed to be some BIG price cuts coming to the Core Duo chip in October, so Apple need to drop the price on the Mini.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Of course, When the price cuts happen, they'll change something to keep it the same price.

I wish they were still $499, when they had PPC chips. I'm asking my parents for the 1.66 mini for christmas, but its a 50-50 chance they'll change something before then...

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Cassie said:
Of course, When the price cuts happen, they'll change something to keep it the same price.

I wish they were still $499, when they had PPC chips. I'm asking my parents for the 1.66 mini for christmas, but its a 50-50 chance they'll change something before then...
I doubt Mini will get anything different until March 07

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
If you are really a penny snitcher you'd probably want to wait till at least least MWSF so as to get a free copy of iLife. However the real penny snitchers just download it off Bittorrent :rolleyes:

The Minis at this time next year will be quite a sight to behold though, especially with the new Meroms and the x3000 integrated graphics chip.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Since you do not plan to use your Mac Mini for gaming, I think the current 1.83GHz Core Duo Mac Mini would work quite nicely for you BrSmith. :)

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
MacSA said:
There are supposed to be some BIG price cuts coming to the Core Duo chip in October, so Apple need to drop the price on the Mini.

mmm... interesting... I wonder if Apple will really drop the mini prices? How much will intel be dropping the core duo prices?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Lollypop said:
mmm... interesting... I wonder if Apple will really drop the mini prices? How much will intel be dropping the core duo prices?

Just as a reference a similar price cut occurred in May, Apple continued to fleece off its old prices all the way until recently...

Apple is not a charity, they are accountable to nobody!

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
generik said:
Just as a reference a similar price cut occurred in May, Apple continued to fleece off its old prices all the way until recently...

Apple is not a charity, they are accountable to nobody!

until recently indeed, all im asking is how much intel will drop the prices, even if Apple doesnt reduce the prices the people that want to upgrade their solo's will have a better deal!

kraftzwerg

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2005
generik said:
I got one, I would get one if I have to choose again.

You are right about the Airport reception though, guess it is the side effect of having the antenna encased in metal.

I have had no Airport reception problem at all with my 1.66 CD Mini purchased in July. I can easily pick up the signal from my Airport Express Station on the floor below (and it gives me full signal amplitude). I can warmly recommend the current Mini - haven't noticed any issues with it.

Of course, 1.83 vs 1.66 won't matter much - it's mostly Superdrive vs Combodrive. I'd opt for Superdrive if you haven't already got one on your PB.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
I think it's a good time to buy. They were recently updated and you won't see a revision for a while.

Go ahead and make the purchase :)

WarEagle

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
Atlanta, Ga
So the Minis that people think will be out next year will have a better gpu? So for a lite gamer, I still play a few games that are a few years old (Being in grad school leaves me no time to play the newest games), next years mini will allow me to do this. I have a PC Desktop I have had since my freshman year of college and it is starting to show its age. I just ordered a Macbook for school but would like to get a Mac Desktop and use bootcamp for my lite windows needs. I guess it sounds like I should wait till next year and look into a mac desktop. I wish they had a nice headless desktop. I have a nice LCD panel now so that is why I am looking at the Minis.
WDE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.