PDA

View Full Version : Huge problem with iPod and iMac

usualanomaly
Oct 2, 2006, 05:28 PM
I purchased my iPod (60GB iPod Photo) in May of 2005 and was, until recently, using it with a PC without any major problems. Two weeks ago I bought an iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (2.0GHz, 160GB HD, 1GB RAM - I don't know how necessary the specifications are but I thought I would post them) and have had nothing but problems with my iPod since.

I reformatted my iPod for Mac use immediately after receiving my iMac and proceeded to transfer songs with no problems. However, the second time I connected my iPod, the iMac refused to recognize it in iTunes or in Finder. After restarting multiple times I finally got the iMac to see the iPod. I then went into iTunes to transfer more songs. I wanted to delete all of the music currently on the iPod so I selected all of the songs and pressed delete. My iPod indicated that the songs were being deleted and successfully removed about 40 of them and then froze. I had experienced this problem before when attempting to transfer songs onto the iPod; iTunes (7.0.0 and later 7.0.1) would freeze completely. Any attempt to force quit would be to no avail. Additionally, any attempt to eject the disc would freeze Finder (which tended to happen regardless). I would be forced to force the computer to shut down. When I finally managed to delete all of the songs on my iPod, I attempted to add new songs. Again it would get to around song 4 and freeze. If I let it sit long enough I would eventually get an error message stating that "The disc "iPod" cannot be written to." I don't remember the specific wording. Almost everytime my system freezes. I have been using a USB 2.0 connection. I also have a 120GB SimpleHuman external hard drive plugged into the computer. Of note is the fact that all of these problems are avoided when connecting with a firewire cable. I know none of the ports are bad because I am able to connect other USB devices to any port with no problems.

I have contacted Apple and have tried everything they have suggested. I find that everytime I call them I am transfered at least three times from iMac support to iPod support and finally to iTunes support. No one seems to know what the problem is.

So far I have tried:

Reformatting the iPod
Reinstalling iTunes
Reinstalling OS X
Verifying the iPod
Verifying my hard drive

Please help.

Also, I had one very strange occurence that I think may have been related to this problem. My screen went dark after connecting my iPod about a week ago. I receievd a message that there was an error of some sort and OS X needed to shut down. After shutting down the computer refused to start. I couln't even see the startup screen, it was just the blue, no Apple logo and no startup indicator. I finally got the computer to turn on again after forcing it to shut down, unplugging it and then starting it up again.

Eraserhead
Oct 2, 2006, 05:37 PM
Sounds like iPod disc problems, they can cause kernel panics (aka the screen telling you to shutdown), when it crashes is the iPod's hard drive clicking, (listen to the iPod itself (not through the headphones) in a quiet room)?

usualanomaly
Oct 2, 2006, 05:50 PM
I just tried listening to it and for some reason it chose not to crash this time. I transferred about 200 songs with no problems. All I heard were normal "write to drive" sounds. I am sure that it will happen again though. I should not that my friend also uses my computer occasionally and transfers to her iPod (5G 60GB) and has the same problems.

mad jew
Oct 3, 2006, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I agree it sounds like a failing iPod drive. Keep the iPod cool (ice bucket or something) during data transfers and you might be able to prolong the inevitable though. :)