Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malfunction99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
I've just installed the post-RC1 build on my MBP17 w 2gb RAM and everything works fine Aero, sound, wifi etc (except usual culprits) Its nowhere near as responsive as I'd hoped, and its more than usable for normal stuff, but...

I've also installed Company of Heroes, an excellent new RTS game. I'm shocked to find that there is video corruption - flashing bars, mising textures etc etc and that when running the performance check it gives min/max FPS of between 1 and 10. Its essentially unplayable and runs far better on my 3yo Thinkpad.

Given that the hardware in the MBP is basically the best/newest available, its disappointing to see such a poor result. Any ideas?

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
You're running Vista, which is a unfinished OS.

It runs like crap on my computer running Vista as well. Under XP its nice and very smooth.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Why you are trying to play a game on an unreleased and extremely flawed operating system, and being dissapointed with the results is unsettling.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
if you go to ati's website and download the catalyst for vista, you might have better luck... but with that said, i tried to play ghost recon advanced warifghter, which hangs between missions, and SWAT 2, which doesn't display the bottom half of the screen right unless is use 800x600, which doesn't display the bottom 1/5 of the screen... with that happened, i re-did XP immediately

malfunction99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
SC68Cal said:
Why you are trying to play a game on an unreleased and extremely flawed operating system, and being dissapointed with the results is unsettling.

Wow, what a helpful post!...

I'm trying to play the game to see if I can. Isn't that obvious?

It doesn't work very well, and I foolishly thought I might get some suggestions on how to remedy or alleviate the problem.

And let's not get into what "extremely flawed" means:- it must be nice to be such an oracle on all things windows...

mufflon

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2006
malfunction99 said:
Wow, what a helpful post!...

I'm trying to play the game to see if I can. Isn't that obvious?

It doesn't work very well, and I foolishly thought I might get some suggestions on how to remedy or alleviate the problem.

And let's not get into what "extremely flawed" means:- it must be nice to be such an oracle on all things windows...

well the point he tries to drive across to you is that this is what you must expect from a system still in beta - if you want a less bug filled environment then get the system the game was intitially made for (XP, as vista is yet to be released).

By extremely flawed he could hazve meant many things
* windows
* microsoft
* still in an elevated alpha/beta form and not ready for release as of yet

Beta products work this way, it's more or less the walk of life as far as this is concerned.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
To be fair on him, it is a post-RC1 build, which means that most of the bugs etc should be worked out of it by now, and it should br pretty similar to what the release version will be!
If it was Beta 1 or 2 or something I could completely understand!

Ed

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
MisterEd said:
To be fair on him, it is a post-RC1 build, which means that most of the bugs etc should be worked out of it by now, and it should br pretty similar to what the release version will be!
If it was Beta 1 or 2 or something I could completely understand!

Ed

sure its RC1, its not a GM yet. and i'm sure everything hasn't been pieced together. as it stands Vista still is not a complete OS. it has not been released. if your games aren't working, don't blame the hardware. if you were to install XP instead i'm sure that these games would work without a problem.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
I read a Digg article that a build of RC2 is being released, I keep my eyes peeled to see if that'll help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.