PDA

View Full Version : iBook Screen Issue

onlyONE
Oct 3, 2006, 09:52 AM
I just bought a used G4 iBook, and it has preformed great since I've started using it, excluding one small problem. When I put it to sleep and then put it into my back pack, the upper left of the screen seems to get stuck pixels. But only on the desktop, so it does not appear to be truely damaged. Any ideas?

baxterbrittle
Oct 3, 2006, 11:17 AM
I just bought a used G4 iBook, and it has preformed great since I've started using it, excluding one small problem. When I put it to sleep and then put it into my back pack, the upper left of the screen seems to get stuck pixels. But only on the desktop, so it does not appear to be truely damaged. Any ideas?

Normally it is a GPU issue that causes it. You may need a new logic board which is unlikely to worth it. However you should try performing an archieve and install on the system to see if that fixes the issue. Also try fsck in sigle user mode and repair permissions. You can use Apple Hardware Test if you have the disk, it can check the GPU and memory. Oh that reminds me it very well could be a loose RAM stick. Turn the machine off and reseat the RAM (remove battery and uplug first). The RAM is located underneath the keyboard. Also if that doesn't fix it try removing the RAM and running with just the onboard RAM - It could be a faulty module. If you try all those things and nothing helps it is almost certainly a bad logic board. If it is it will get worse until the machine eventually dies. Hope something here works out for you.