PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 will not turn on

Stitzu
Oct 3, 2006, 06:54 PM
Hi there, I just recently got back from going on vacation and I came back to find that my iMac G5 (with ambient light sensor but no built-in iSight) no longer turns on. If I press the power button absolutely nothing happens. So I tried other power cables and outlets etc, which made no difference but I did notice that when I plug in the power cable I can hear a loud hissing sound. I decided to take the cover off and take a look at the diagnostic LEDs and only the first one lights up and using the internal power button seems to make no difference. I also tried resetting the SMU but that didn't seem to do a lot. Anyone have any ideas what else I could try? I was also told that while I was away there were many storms in my area so I just hope there weren't any power spikes/surges that may have damaged the hardware somehow.

beatsme
Oct 3, 2006, 06:56 PM
you've either got a bad power supply or a dead logic board :(

does the iMac G5 use an external transformer, like the Mini, or is it internal? Can't remember...

Stitzu
Oct 3, 2006, 07:22 PM
you've either got a bad power supply or a dead logic board :(

does the iMac G5 use an external transformer, like the Mini, or is it internal? Can't remember...
It has an internal power supply. Looks like things aren't sounding too good then. I have some files on there that I really need to get access to as well but the only other machine I have is my MBP so I'm thinking I may need to go buy an external HDD enclosure to stick the iMac's harddrive in and access via USB/firewire, if I can't get this fixed soon, unless anyone else has a better idea?

beatsme
Oct 3, 2006, 07:33 PM
It has an internal power supply. Looks like things aren't sounding too good then. I have some files on there that I really need to get access to as well but the only other machine I have is my MBP so I'm thinking I may need to go buy an external HDD enclosure to stick the iMac's harddrive in and access via USB/firewire, if I can't get this fixed soon, unless anyone else has a better idea?

you may as well take it in to a local repair shop (if indeed there is one near you) and have them look at it. It may only be a power supply issue.

This (http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-sata-c35u.html) adapter cable is probably what you'd want to use to get at your HD.

EDIT: maybe this (http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=HD-108&cm_mmc=froogle-_-Cables-_-Adapters/Splitters-_-HD-108) too...iMac G5 uses 2.5" HD, right?

Stitzu
Oct 3, 2006, 08:03 PM
you may as well take it in to a local repair shop (if indeed there is one near you) and have them look at it. It may only be a power supply issue.

This (http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-sata-c35u.html) adapter cable is probably what you'd want to use to get at your HD.

EDIT: maybe this (http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=HD-108&cm_mmc=froogle-_-Cables-_-Adapters/Splitters-_-HD-108) too...iMac G5 uses 2.5" HD, right?
Yeah I guess I'll have to find somewhere take it in and have looked at.

That adapter cable looks like it would probably be pretty ideal but I'm not sure where I'd find one like that in NZ. The HD in my iMac is a 3.5" SATA drive.

beatsme
Oct 3, 2006, 08:11 PM
That adapter cable looks like it would probably be pretty ideal but I'm not sure where I'd find one like that in NZ.

pretty sure you could order it from that website, if you're of a mind to.
Best of luck :)

dcv
Oct 4, 2006, 04:30 AM
Same problem with my 20" iMac G5 (rev B)

Won't power on and only the first LED lights up. I don't have the hissing sound though but mine makes a weird squeak every second or so, and as it does so, LED number 2 flashes on. Weird. Anyway... suspected logic board failure. I still haven't got round to having it repaired.

As for the hard disk... well I needed to back mine up so I transplanted it to my other iMac, pictures are here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=216978). I'm sure you could do the same thing with a FW enclosure or whatever. Good luck!

Stitzu
Oct 4, 2006, 03:05 PM
Same problem with my 20" iMac G5 (rev B)

Won't power on and only the first LED lights up. I don't have the hissing sound though but mine makes a weird squeak every second or so, and as it does so, LED number 2 flashes on. Weird. Anyway... suspected logic board failure. I still haven't got round to having it repaired.
Yeah sounds like much the same problem. What I'd like to know is why has it started doing this? I went away for about a week and a half and it was working fine right until I turned it off before I left but when I get back it's just dead. :confused:

jbuba
Oct 11, 2006, 05:19 PM
i'm having the same problem. my imac has been randomly just turning off for over a month. not shutting down, but just dying. it was annoying, but would at least turn back on again. now it's just dead and won't turn back on. i called apple and they said i have to bring it in for repair. I have several confidential documents on that hard drive and don't feel comfortable leaving it at an apple store for repair, where the person can just access that info if he/she wanted to. so i need a way to access the hard drive to backup/erase those files. problem is the imac is my only mac. i have an old pc. can i get an external hd enclosure and access those files through the pc? any other suggestions?

CanadaRAM
Oct 11, 2006, 07:13 PM
i'm having the same problem. my imac has been randomly just turning off for over a month. not shutting down, but just dying. it was annoying, but would at least turn back on again. now it's just dead and won't turn back on. i called apple and they said i have to bring it in for repair. I have several confidential documents on that hard drive and don't feel comfortable leaving it at an apple store for repair, where the person can just access that info if he/she wanted to. so i need a way to access the hard drive to backup/erase those files. problem is the imac is my only mac. i have an old pc. can i get an external hd enclosure and access those files through the pc? any other suggestions?
The Shutting Off With No Warning is a well known power supply failure issue in iMacs.

You can potentially put the drive in a SATA-USB2 case and read it from the PC but you would need to also buy some software for the PC like MacDrive to allow the PC to read the Mac HFS format of the drive. A better bet would be taking the drive out, putting it in an external SATA/USB2 case and going to a friend who has a Mac to do the backing up/erasing thing.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

jorasho
Oct 12, 2006, 12:23 AM
They most surely require to have you a hard drive inside. Is your machine still in warranty?

CanadaRAM
Oct 12, 2006, 12:31 AM
They most surely require to have you a hard drive inside. Is your machine still in warranty?
Well, yes. I kinda thought the "... and put the drive back in when you're done erasing your private stuff" part was understood...

jbuba
Oct 12, 2006, 01:43 PM
should i even be concerned with this? or should i just trust that the repair people won't be snooping around my computer?