PDA

View Full Version : How do I change my computer's name?

macktheknife
Feb 22, 2002, 06:31 PM
I'm a three-week macnewbie, and I was wondering how I could change my computer's name. My computer is a PowerBook G4 with Mac OS X. I'm not referring to the "Macintosh HD" icon. Also, can the user name be changed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nipsy
Feb 22, 2002, 07:29 PM
Go to the Sharing System Pref (File Sharing Control Panel under 9), and type the network name you'd prefer...

For user name, go to Users System Pref, and 'Edit User'

Taft
Feb 22, 2002, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure about this, but I think the name change in system prefs will only affect a Mac network with Apple protocols. Under other networks you are still stuck with an IP.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Matthew

krossfyter
Feb 22, 2002, 10:35 PM
okay in order for me to get the osx updates i need to enter an administrator password. how do i do this? i thought i already set up myself for administrator access. what give? help. thanks.

King Cobra
Mar 3, 2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by krossfyter
okay in order for me to get the osx updates i need to enter an administrator password. how do i do this? i thought i already set up myself for administrator access. what give? help. thanks.

Even though you may be the administrator, OS X says that you still have to input the password, which I am assuming you know what it is. It is just for security measures.