PDA

View Full Version : Was The Congo ever on the US hit list for peace?

billyboy
Apr 8, 2003, 06:01 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-638536,00.html

iIn the past four years 3.3 million have died in the former Belgian colony formerly called Zaire . The conflict here is the cause of the biggest loss of human life attributable to one war since 1945.

This conflict makes Rwanda look like a party - where incidentally only 1 million died while the UN were paralysed into inaction - by consistent US vetoes.

The US probably took one look on the map, read a few stats about DROC and thought it was too hard to even start fitting their square foreign policy into that African circle - Congo's a big country (quarter the size of the USA), its 70% Christian, 200 tribal groups, run by a dictator... 1 million refugees from Rwanda got caught up in the initial mayhem, then 875000 Rwandans ran back into Rwanda, the remainder were exterminated by the Congolese. Then the real war started in 98, 2 million Congolese either made homeless or fled the country...

alex_ant
Apr 8, 2003, 07:18 PM
Whoa there. What are you saying? Are you questioning your leaders? What kind of American are you? You sound pretty unpatriotic to me. Just drop that Congo nonsense - we're getting a bunch of people FREE!

zimv20
Apr 8, 2003, 10:02 PM
from lonelyplanet.com:

For 32 years the despotic Mobutu had plundered the impoverished country's resources, making himself and his family fabulously rich, thanks to his backing by Western countries, especially France, Belgium and the USA.

and even better -- a model for the perle/wolfowitz/rumsfeld/cheney crowd!

President Kabila, like Mobutu, outlawed political opposition parties and censored the press, all the while doing little to alleviate the country's crippling poverty.

LethalWolfe
Apr 9, 2003, 12:35 AM
I think this dead horse got throughly beaten here. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23053)

Lethal

zimv20
Apr 9, 2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
I think this dead horse got throughly beaten here. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23053)

there's a dead horse? i'm there!!!

:-)

LethalWolfe
Apr 9, 2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by zimv20
there's a dead horse? i'm there!!!

You like dead horses? No wonder you post so much in the Political forum. :D

Lethal

zimv20
Apr 9, 2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
You like dead horses? No wonder you post so much in the Political forum. :D

ouch.

alex_ant
Apr 9, 2003, 02:37 AM
Even though that other thread was about Zimbabwe, not Congo, a darkie is a darkie no matter where it lives. What do you expect from a race of people descended from mud? The important thing is that there are no white people or Jews in Congo, because if there were, Steven Spielberg would piss himself writing Schindler's List II, and then he would have to be invited into the PPP.

zimv20
Apr 9, 2003, 02:44 AM
just what is this PPP thing anyway?

alex_ant
Apr 9, 2003, 02:51 AM
The Pants Pissers Party, led by Jello's Hot Srule, set to take over the world in 2016. I got kind of lost in that Zimbabwe thread and I don't really know what the hell is going on anymore, so I'm only "going with the flow" as it were (in more ways than one).

billyboy
Apr 9, 2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by alex_ant
Whoa there. What are you saying? Are you questioning your leaders? What kind of American are you? You sound pretty unpatriotic to me. Just drop that Congo nonsense - we're getting a bunch of people FREE!

Lighten up will you, it was only a joke! Course Bush is getting a bunch of people free. Well done to him.

Obviously this particular thread is very light hearted just like the other one referred to by Lethal Wolf, the one that degenerated into a Pisser Pants Party political propoganda broadcast while all those lucky Iraqis were being lined up to be freed.

When Bush frees me from the feeling the world is a lot worse off because of his liberating spree, remind me to go buy a flag. In the meantime go get a history book and a map and work out for yourself whats going on in your name.

zimv20
Apr 9, 2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by billyboy
Lighten up will you, it was only a joke!

i'm pretty sure _he_ was joking.

zimv20
Apr 9, 2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by alex_ant
The Pants Pissers Party

has the pants pissers party published a popular platform?

billyboy
Apr 9, 2003, 04:58 AM
i'm pretty sure _he_ was joking.

OK. i guess I need a book on alternative humour.

zimv20
Apr 9, 2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by billyboy
OK. i guess I need a book on alternative humour.

this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1879505215/qid=1049882746/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-6183897-2047146?v=glance&s=books) isn't too bad

billyboy
Apr 9, 2003, 05:27 AM
"How to be funny even if your material isnt"?

trebblekicked
Apr 9, 2003, 05:53 AM

the closest we got was the web page...
the link is in my sig.

vniow
Apr 9, 2003, 01:16 PM

We're already in the process of taking over the world so we'll be popular whether anybody wants us or not....

More info in the Zimbabwe thread.

zimv20
Apr 9, 2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by trebblekicked
the closest we got was the web page...
the link is in my sig.

thank you.

though i was _really_ hoping someone would respond to my question with: probably. :-)