Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I wrote an app to benchmark just the CPU power of both 68k and PowerPC Macs running Mac OS 7, 9 and 9 so I can create a list of scores for my site, as well as to brush up on my programming skillz.

Anyone willing to test this on some of their classic Macs? If so you can download it here. Let me know what your scores are below, or any thoughts you have.

EDIT: It's at version 2 because I made a few previous revisions and distributed it to people before I totally rewrote it as it is now.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
huh i can download it but i cant mount it. it downloads as a .img but nothing will mount it. all app's i have that is able to mount a image gives me a error. i dont know what is wrong

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
madmax_2069 said:
huh i can download it but i cant mount it. it downloads as a .img but nothing will mount it. all app's i have that is able to mount a image gives me a error. i dont know what is wrong

I'm getting the same thing. :(

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
Ok it works now. must have got corrupt cause it wasn't in a archived state. i booted into O S9.2.2 and ran the test and got a score of 160.5 my spec are in my sig. the program worked like it suppose to didn't crash or nothing.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
madmax_2069 said:
Ok it works now. must have got corrupt cause it wasn't in a archived state. i booted into O S9.2.2 and ran the test and got a score of 160.5 my spec are in my sig. the program worked like it suppose to didn't crash or nothing.

Sweet that sounds like a score right about where it should be. Some questions:

Did you get repeatable scores?
Did you boot with extensions off?

I seem to get the most accurate scores when I boot with extensions off.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
I downloaded it! I'll try it on my PB 5300c and tell everyone what I got :)

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
dpaanlka said:
Sweet that sounds like a score right about where it should be. Some questions:

Did you get repeatable scores?
Did you boot with extensions off?

I seem to get the most accurate scores when I boot with extensions off.

yes i repeated the test the score remained 160. range

yea i booted with the shift held down booted without extensions

ickystay

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
PB G3 Pismo 400mhz 1Mb L2 cache 768Mb ram OS9.2.2 score=extensions off-114.2 (extensions on-118.1)

I can't figure out how to try it on my Wallstreet 233 OS8.6. Disk copy doesn't want to mount your test.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Over at the System 7 Today forums we've been discussing some problems with the benchmark. Namely, some super fast machines are not getting super high scores, such as the above post.

ickystay said:
I can't figure out how to try it on my Wallstreet 233 OS8.6. Disk copy doesn't want to mount your test.

You need a newer version of Disk Copy.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
yea my Mac i dunno what the score should be but it scored 160.5. i think it could be the way the benchmark scores or it could be the way the math is. yea there was even a eMac 800mhz G4 that scored 176.

everyone can rule out the bus speed being the culprit cause dont the emac have a 133mhz system bus speed. i mean my system is a G3 466 Beige G3 with a 66mhz system bus and scored a 160.5 and that emac G4 800mhz has a 133mhz system bus and only got a score only 16 more than mine.

no matter if the program was coded to take advantage or not of the altvec in the G4 that cpu is almost double in speed and has a faster system bus. and the L1 cache is the same size as mine (i think) i think the L2 cache is smaller than mine tho (mine has 1mb) i forget what G4 has the smaller L2 cache. but no matter both L1 and L2 cache runs faster on that 800mhz G4 than it does on mine.

there has to be a reason he only got 16 more than me and im half his speed so i don't know if its the math used or its the scoring system used

this project is just all around interesting in testing these system's and finding out what its really testing . cause if you figured a 800mhz cpu should get almost double the score then mine but it don't. i was thinking it had something to do with the system bus but apparently it isn't. now people are thinking its the L1 and L2 cache, who knows

who knows but this is all around interesting

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I wrote an app to benchmark just the CPU power of both 68k and PowerPC Macs running Mac OS 7, 9 and 9 so I can create a list of scores for my site, as well as to brush up on my programming skillz.

Anyone willing to test this on some of their classic Macs? If so you can download it here. Let me know what your scores are below, or any thoughts you have.

EDIT: It's at version 2 because I made a few previous revisions and distributed it to people before I totally rewrote it as it is now.

I don't have enough RAM to run it. My Mac Plus only has 1MB of RAM. (But it has a 100MB external SCSI hard drive!)

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Yes, because of these reasons this thread died out months ago and I put development on hold. How did this thread become active again?

For the record, I could not figure out why really fast G4s were having such un-spectacular results with this program. I would like to write an app that can give benchmark results for every Mac built in the last 20 years or so, including new ones. I think that concept sounds pretty cool. So far, I haven't been able to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.