Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zap Handsome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Hi all. New Macbook Pro owner. New to this forum. Sorry if I am repeating earlier posts, but I have been searching far and wide for some kind of solution to the problem I am having.

My turntables are hooked up to my Stanton M.303 3-Channel Mixer, which then has an output that feeds into the Line In on my laptop. In Garageband, I have created a new track using the option for "real insturment" and i can see the volume lines on the track bouncing but I cannot hear any sound. If I record this track, it registers an audio recording - still no sound. When I stop recording and play the track i just recorded, I can hear what I recorded very clearly.

What I want to know is: Why can't I hear my turntables in any situation other than when I play back a recording? I have spent a lot of time messing with the System Preferences and have tried every single combination even aside from the combination that I know should be correct.

Shouldn't I be able to hear what is coming into my Line In even though I am not recording it???? Or when I am recording it???

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
is monitoring turned on for the real instrument?

....in the info palette

Attachments

• GB.jpg
    GB.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 221

Zap Handsome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
thanks for the quick response Mydriasis.

as far as i can remember, i turned the monitor ON last night at one point, and suddenly I could hear through my headphones.... ELATION!!!

But.... then i realized I was just listening to the laptop's built-in microphone.

However, because I was messing with the system preferences so much, i may have momentarily had them set to the built-in mic instead of the Line In at the moment I turned the Monitor to ON.

I will try that again tonight with the monitor on and the Preferences set to Line In. That's what you suggest, right?

Again: thanks for the quick response.

vinylator

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2006
Try this app called LineIn: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

LineIn is a simple application for OS X to enable the soft playthru of audio from input devices. In simpler terms, you can use LineIn to play sound coming in through a microphone or any other device plugged in to your Sound In port, just as was once available with OS 9's "Play input through output device" option. Use it with Audio Hijack to record audio from external devices (Audio Hijack Pro now has this functionality built right in).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.