Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glossybear

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
Hollywood CA
I finally decided to go for it and bought a new 12 inch Powerbook when the bookstore at the university where I work (UC Santa Cruz) started a new promotion that I couldn't pass up.

If you bought a 12" with applecare (combo dive only) you got a free 10GB iPod.

The interesting thing was the iPod came taped to the (brown)box for the PB. The applecare box was also taped to the PB box. This was done at the factory. Now I'm a switched (adder, whatever) and don't know how new machines usually come, so don't know what, if anything, this says about the apple suply chain. But it seemed odd to me.

I have a few quick questions.
-how well does isych work for synching two macs? And does the .mac free-trial allow you to do this? I have alot of files to move over from my machine at work, and don't know the best way to do it. Is there any software that would make this easier?

-How can I get my keychain information over? Can I just transfer the app?

-Should I start the applecare plan now, or wait until I need it?

Yay! I am so stoked! Must play more!

bombensington

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2002
Re: Another new 12incher

Originally posted by Glossybear
-Should I start the applecare plan now, or wait until I need it?

applecare starts from the day of purchase, not when you register it. so you'd be better off doing it now.

congrats on the new machine!

000111one111000

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2001
DeKalb, IL
Contrary to popular belief, iSync does NOT sync all of your files. It only sync's certain types, namely iCal and Address Book files. For syncing other files (like perhaps word documents, preferences, etc.) you'll want to find a 3rd party app.

I'm not sure if iSync will work with the .Mac trial though, as I have an actual account. When I had my .Mac trial, iSync wasn't released yet, so I can't comment on that.

To get your keychains over, go into the keychains folder inside your user's library folder (/Users/YourUserName/Library/Keychains) and drag the files in there over into the Keychains folder in the same location on your new PowerBook.

As for AppleCare, activate it now. The start date is your purchase date, so you'll want to call them and activate it ASAP.

Oh, and the thing about the AppleCare and iPod being taped to your box. I'm pretty sure that the reason they were taped to your box is that 1) You bought from a university store. The closest university store to me (NIU) does the same thing sometimes. 2) Apple is clearing out iPod stock to release new models. That may be why they're taping them to the box, to make sure you get one. Or something. hehe.

anything else? :)

enoch

MacBandit

macrumors 604
The best way to get the files from one machine to another will probably be with an Ethernet Patch cable. If the computer is on a school network you could use that too using AppleTalk and Sharing.

If the computer you have at work has a firewire port then you can also/instead of use Target disk mode. This turns either computer into a remote hard drive allowing you to access and copy whatever you need to. You will need a 6pin to 6pin Firewire cable. To do this simply plug both computers in start up the one you want to use and then start up the one you want to be the target disk and hold the T-key during startup.

Glossybear

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2002
Hollywood CA
I'm happy to report the fit and finish of the unit is great! No sticky track-button, and no wobble.

It gets hotter than I was expecting. not hotter than the iBook (well a little maybe) but hot all along the bottom.

Should I be concerned when the fan kicks on?

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
no, if the fan kicks in be unconcerned. It means that all is working well in your mac. If it dont kick in then dotn worry either.

And as for trying to get the fan to kcik in, dont bother. I had my CPUs running at full bore for 2 hrs and the noise level neer increased. Although i am running and MDD so it shouldn't need to.

BTW: congrats on the purchase. now i live at ..... so if you can send it to me withing the week i wont have to get the mafia to do it for me. thanx :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.