PDA

View Full Version : 12" Powerbook turning on by itself

Spyharpy
Oct 5, 2006, 01:44 AM
I got a new 12" 1.33 Powerbook new in 11/04. Been working flawlessly. On a few occasions, I found my Powerbook fans to be running full speed while I know I had shut down the laptop. The power chord was connected in all instances with the green fully charged ring around it.

Next time around I made sure I shut down confirming it. Closed the top and left the power chord plugged in even though the battery was fully charged. I come back a few hours later and hear some fans running. I realize it's from the Powerbook. Open the top and it's not responding. Strangely, the Caps Lock LED illuminates when I press it and goes of when I press it again. I wait for the fans to slow down until they're nearly silent and the Powerbook will play the startup chime and load the OS. I believe the Powerbook didn't fire up at first since the bottom of the case was quite warm. When I get to the desktop, a message shows up that my OS may have not been shut down properly. I know I did and got the confirmation "Are you sure you want to Shut Down" message before Shut Down.

I have never experienced this kind of behavior. Anyone have any clue why this may be happening? I don't understand how a laptop can turn itself on all by itself.

mad jew
Oct 8, 2006, 04:12 AM
It could be a corrupt setting in the PMU firmware, so resetting (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449) it may help. :)

macman2790
Oct 8, 2006, 04:14 AM
that's going to be an exclusive feature in the c2d macbook pros