PDA

View Full Version : Safari v69

MacRumors
Apr 9, 2003, 07:36 AM
MacMagazine (http://www.macmagazine.com.br/more.php?id=2467_0_1_0) has a brief article on Safari v69 -- which contains further bug fixes.

According to the site, v70 will be the next public release from Apple.

maradong
Apr 9, 2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors
MacMagazine (http://www.macmagazine.com.br/more.php?id=2467_0_1_0) has a brief article on Safari v69 -- which contains further bug fixes.

According to the site, v70 will be the next public release from Apple.

Cool, is all i can say about :)

j33pd0g
Apr 9, 2003, 08:26 AM
Nice. Bring on the bug fixes! Here is the translated to semi-english link: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.macmagazine.com.br/&prev=/search%3Fq%3DMac%2Bmagazine%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8

I wonder how long we really will have to wait.

Dr. Distortion
Apr 9, 2003, 08:50 AM
Safari b.71 is out already... and to prove it I've attached this nice screenshot...

Cheers!

-Dr. D.

bikertwin
Apr 9, 2003, 08:53 AM
Here's a translation from Sherlock (I love how "OS X" translates as "Mac the X"!) :

We receive today plus one build of the Safari, the navigator of the
Apple. The version v69, still not set free officially for the public,
basically brings corrections of many bugs and previous pendencies of
builds. Sources affirm that the next official version to be set free
for the company will be v70.

In interface terms, menus and preferences, had not occurred many
changes. The icon of the bar of tools that represents the action "To
complete forms of the AutoFill feature" was a little modified, but of
remaining portion everything continues the same thing. The Apple
corrected one bug serious that it made with that first tab of the
navigator always appeared activated, exactly when you was visiting a
page in another one.

"I am each happyer time using the Safari. With the clearing of v69,
now it is well possible that I start to use it as browser default in
the Mac the X. My publication system in mine blog, b2, now functions
in the navigator. I believe that this is resulted of one generality
that the Apple gave and added compatibility to the many systems that
were not compatible to the Safari, "comments Rafael Fischmann,
responsible generality for the MacMagazine.com.br.

Browser now gained more implementations in the AutoFill feature, and
also it starts to record passwords for the users, as they can see
below in one of screen shots. Moreover, a safe source of the site
affirmed that system of location of applicatory, that allows that the
Safari twirls in the language used for the system of the user, now
functions, in contrast of that happened in v67, when it started to be
implanted.

In the generality, the Safari is super steady and with the still
better performance. He seems same that the desenvolvedores of the
company are giving the final touchs for the clearing of diverse new
developments for the public.

backspinner
Apr 9, 2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Distortion
Safari b.71 is out already... and to prove it I've attached this nice screenshot...
here we go again...
...been there, done that. It's so cheap to change the version in plist file to show another number :p

nagromme
Apr 9, 2003, 10:46 AM
Now have MacinTalk Pro English Agnes read that aloud. THAT's entertainment!

T'hain Esh Kelch
Apr 9, 2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by backspinner
here we go again...
...been there, done that. It's so cheap to change the version in plist file to show another number :p
Actually, it is out.

ultrafiel
Apr 9, 2003, 11:40 AM
Ya I just downloaded v71 also. But I'm not sure if it is real. It says it is also beta 2? Strange thing is that it was a .sit file where I got it, while they've always been .dmg before. I can also get the v69 .dmg if needed. I have no idea what has changed in either.

iJon
Apr 9, 2003, 11:55 AM
what i find funny is that apple stopped the seed program and its already on carracho. haha.

iJon

shadowfax
Apr 9, 2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by iJon
what i find funny is that apple stopped the seed program and its already on carracho. haha.

iJon
exactly. if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. here's to apple getting more into the open source community.

TheMessenger
Apr 9, 2003, 01:14 PM

iJon

Pray tell, what server?

TheMessenger

celaurie
Apr 9, 2003, 01:49 PM
Hrm, interestingly I went a hunting around... I didn't come up with a single copy of a 'v.69' release, but did turn up 'v.71' more than once. For the record, I have downloaded these 'v.71's and as far as I can see, they do check out...

Anyone care to comment?

Chris, the Hunter

iJon
Apr 9, 2003, 02:00 PM
any developers out there who can look at thie v71 and see if it is real. cant say ive seen safari in a sit fomat before.

iJon

jg3
Apr 9, 2003, 02:26 PM
Maybe they are cleaning up v70 from more of a UI standpoint to make it more acceptable for public release while feature/implementation work continues with v71? Dunno, just talking...

Freg3000
Apr 9, 2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by jg3
Maybe they are cleaning up v70 from more of a UI standpoint to make it more acceptable for public release while feature/implementation work continues with v71? Dunno, just talking...

Sounds logical. I doubt Apple would halt production of Safari in the days prior to a public release just to keep the seed numbers in order.

TheMessenger
Apr 9, 2003, 02:48 PM
Well, I found v69 and v71 but for some reason I just don't feel to safe using 71 so I'm using 69 now.

TheMessenger

shawnjackson
Apr 9, 2003, 03:32 PM
I don't know if anyone knew this... ( I didn't) but Safari v71 finally incorporates keychain access. It is not compatible with the same keychain files that Camino used so you will have to re-enter all of your passwords at least once, but I guess once is better then a lot more.

schweb
Apr 9, 2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by shawnjackson
I don't know if anyone knew this... ( I didn't) but Safari v71 finally incorporates keychain access. It is not compatible with the same keychain files that Camino used so you will have to re-enter all of your passwords at least once, but I guess once is better then a lot more.

I noticed that as well. I'm so happy it finally works!

shawnjackson
Apr 9, 2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by schweb
I noticed that as well. I'm so happy it finally works!

Indeed... finally Camino is out of my dock... maybe forever.

Giaguara
Apr 9, 2003, 04:14 PM
camino is my preferred, but i wanted to try if the v71 did work on some sites i need admin access. the previouses (to 67) did not work.

now i see ALL like this, HUGE fonts. anyone know how to fix it? it is really annoying and unusable this way. i attach a screen, in 50 % smaller scale to not give headaches.

btw, the licence says "SAFARI 2.0 PUBLIC BETA" - i assume that is the rabbit steve will drag from his hat in wwdc

ps. apple-minus does nothign. the font is changed to 9 pt high but for me it loks SLIGHTLY larger. universal zoon thing is off.

Awimoway
Apr 9, 2003, 05:18 PM
I don't have 69 or 71, but obviously the report that 70 would be publicly released was bogus. Frankly, I don't know which rumor is more stale--that v.x of Safari will be publicly released or that iPod updates are imminent. Set skepticism on kill.

Sigh... it would be nice to try out one of these new versions.

Mr.Hey
Apr 9, 2003, 06:00 PM
Its :cool:

sparkleytone
Apr 9, 2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Giaguara
camino is my preferred, but i wanted to try if the v71 did work on some sites i need admin access. the previouses (to 67) did not work.

now i see ALL like this, HUGE fonts. anyone know how to fix it? it is really annoying and unusable this way. i attach a screen, in 50 % smaller scale to not give headaches.

are you using a custom html4.css file or using something such as safari enhancer? if so, trash it in favor of the safari defaults.

iJon
Apr 9, 2003, 07:23 PM
any one else have problems with macrumors on 71. side doesnt seem to show up. back to 67.

iJon

sweetaction
Apr 9, 2003, 08:32 PM
I have been running v69 for a bit. Tabs rocks. And a lot of the frame/js related issues seem solved. Fired it up and all our tools worked. Very nice. Is there a v71 out there?

Hemingray
Apr 9, 2003, 08:48 PM
I'm still running v62... :rolleyes: I gave up awhile back. I'm just gonna wait until they publicly release the next beta. Until then... Camino for me.

SoGood
Apr 9, 2003, 09:20 PM
Just moved from v69 to v71. A few observations.

1. Application has a smaller Mb size.
2. Lost all the favicons. Had to rebuild.
3. Faster load and generally more responsive.
4. Interfaces with Keychain.

Otherwise there's no superficial bug that I've found yet.

Cool!

Delta-9
Apr 9, 2003, 09:24 PM
Looks like both v69 and v71 are real!

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=113

boobers
Apr 9, 2003, 09:40 PM
If your a web developer or even an avid web surfer its important to have more than browser with a different code base. I run one Gecko browser, 1 Konq browser, and of course Exploder's patchwork...i mean ummm..code..My main browser is Camino which gets 95% use and then Safari with about 4% and then Exploder with a massive 1%.

celaurie
Apr 9, 2003, 10:38 PM
Now that I've confirmed v.71 is real and not someones attempt at messing with version numbers in resource files, it's time to finally go into Internet Prefs and make Safari my default browser.

All I was waiting for was the keychain part because I rely heavily on the saved passwords in Netscape.

It even seems (so far, anyway) that the java bugs have been pretty much ironed out in v.71. I can now online bank quicker than ever before!

Heh. Well, ta-ta Mozilla, Netscape et al. There's a new kid on the block, and it rocks!

Chris, the chuffed Safari boi! :rolleyes:

DaveGee
Apr 9, 2003, 11:12 PM
any one else have problems with macrumors on 71. side doesnt seem to show up. back to 67.

iJon

The html in the right sidebar is kinda funk'd up... maybe someone here can get word to the right people to fix it....

if you view source you'll notice broken links for each story...

Dunno if this will work but:

<a
href="link">text

while it shouldn't have a hard return...

Dave

From Win to Mac
Apr 9, 2003, 11:41 PM
MacRumors doesn't work on 71.... LOL

I'm sure they did it on purpose... it would be funny.

Marc

shadowfax
Apr 9, 2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by From Win to Mac

Marc

it worked fine for me.

celaurie
Apr 9, 2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by From Win to Mac

Marc

Weird, works fine for me. Did you try running the Reset Safari option in the Safari Menu?

Chris

unfaded
Apr 9, 2003, 11:54 PM
v71 works with MacRumors, in fact, it works with the most sites out of any build of Safari I've seen so far.

NavyIntel007
Apr 9, 2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by shawnjackson
Indeed... finally Camino is out of my dock... maybe forever.

Camino has been off my dock. I still had to use it to register for Fall classes because it didn't like Safari.

shawnjackson
Apr 10, 2003, 12:11 AM
has anyone using v71 thats had problems used the Safari Menu > Reset Safari... feature? It helped some bugs for me!

totally_fly
Apr 10, 2003, 12:34 AM
v71 is crashing for me, so is v69, once in a while..

71 more than 69

also... if you have the always show tab bar option enabled, do this... its neat

close all your tabs then right click the final tab and close it with the contextual menu.. now look at the window! neat eh?

FredAkbar
Apr 10, 2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by totally_fly
close all your tabs then right click the final tab and close it with the contextual menu.. now look at the window! neat eh?

Yeah I just tried that in v67 and it works there too. What's really neat is that you can move the window by dragging on any part of the blank metal area.

--Fred

awulf
Apr 10, 2003, 02:03 AM
I had safari v67 as my deafault browser, but it had problems with loding pages, so I switched back to Camino.

SoGood
Apr 10, 2003, 02:22 AM
Well, i have not come across one browser that never crashes. IE, Camino and Safari all have crashed for me. Right now, safari v71 is crashing no more often than Camino or IE, although earlier versions suffered a few more problems.

This current version is like Chimera 0.6 in terms of making it over the min standard. I have just trashed Camino 0.7 and leaving Safari as my main browser. IE is still there for those hard to please secure sites.

Dr. Distortion
Apr 10, 2003, 02:23 AM
here we go again...
...been there, done that. It's so cheap to change the version in plist file to show another number :p Oh boy, am I happy with myself!

Yada yada... as a fellow Eindhoven citizen you should believe me! I'm glad other rumor sites and other users here also noticed v.71 is out :P

-Dr. D.

P.S. editing quotes is fun though ;)

backspinner
Apr 10, 2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Distortion

P.S. editing quotes is fun though ;) ja hoor, jij bent ook grappig :D

Bengt77
Apr 10, 2003, 02:23 PM
ja hoor, en jij bent het grappigst :D

Zoiets?!...

(Over het veranderen van quotes, zeg maar.)

(Hehe... :-)

Sorry for the English-speaking crowd, though.

bennetsaysargh
Apr 10, 2003, 03:37 PM
what a perverted version:D

anyway, i gave up on using thew leaked versions because of random quits, and also most functions on my website's online editor not working. as of now, i use v60, occasionaqlly going up to v67.

kinless
Apr 10, 2003, 04:49 PM
I still notice some page rendering problems in v71 (and since v67 anyway). The topmargin and leftmargin body attributes have been killed (meaning anyone that has their site flush against the top/left sides of the browser is ignored in Safari) and also, as of v71, the "td valign=top" attribute no longer works. A lot of sidebars out there (including those on my site) have all their content moved vertically to the center of the table if the page is long enough. Hopefully this is fixed in v72.

Anyone to confirm/deny this?

celaurie
Apr 10, 2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by kinless
I still notice some page rendering problems in v71 (and since v67 anyway). The topmargin and leftmargin body attributes have been killed (meaning anyone that has their site flush against the top/left sides of the browser is ignored in Safari) and also, as of v71, the "td valign=top" attribute no longer works. A lot of sidebars out there have all their content moved vertically to the center of the table if the page is long enough. Hopefully this is fixed in v72.

Anyone to confirm/deny this?

I can confirm this... but for me it's all just an advantage. At least, from the p.o.v. that most of the sites that use multiple colum layouts use said side-bars for advertising.

*ahem* Now I don't have to look at all of those flashing/spinning/dancing gifs that just annoy me profusely.

Interestingly, I don't have a problem with this site...

Chris, the blinkered.

Snowy_River
Apr 11, 2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by totally_fly
v71 is crashing for me, so is v69, once in a while..

71 more than 69

also... if you have the always show tab bar option enabled, do this... its neat

Well, I'm not sure what's up with my system, but v71 is absolutely unstable. When I launch it doesn't bring up a window to start, and when I open a new window I end up with the spinning beach ball and have to force quit. I haven't been able to bring up any web pages in it.

Weird.

[edit: BTW, I tried the 'Reset' command, but it still crashed. Same general symptoms...]

macfreak
Apr 11, 2003, 07:30 PM
MacOSRumors has confirmed that the latest version of Safari is v72...with few changes except improvements to overall page loading, tabs, and autofill.

mikemorris1
Apr 11, 2003, 07:58 PM
A bunch of you keep saying that you have v69 and 71, but there do you get anything other than the version on Apple's web site?

Can anyone email me and tell me where to get it?

mikemorris1@hotmail.com

Snowy_River
Apr 11, 2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by macfreak
MacOSRumors has confirmed that the latest version of Safari is v72...with few changes except improvements to overall page loading, tabs, and autofill.

I'm not sure that this isn't a mistake on their part. We all know how big a grain of salt to take with what MOSR has to say. (Though I freely admit that I enjoy reading their pages, anyway...)

After all, if you check the date, v71 was built just a week ago. I'd be surprised to know that v72 was already seeded (though wasn't that program ended?). So, where did MOSR get v72?

macfreak
Apr 12, 2003, 10:52 AM
I believe they got that news from SpyMac or ThinkSecret...one of those two.

kumichou
Apr 14, 2003, 08:41 AM
1.0b2 (v73) of Safari http://www.apple.com/safari/download

bennetsaysargh
Apr 14, 2003, 05:25 PM
yay! it's here! it's stable!

and it is legal