PDA

View Full Version : iBook 1.33ghz 12" to Apple Display? What cable?

California
Oct 5, 2006, 01:39 PM
Can I hook up an iBook 1.33ghz to an Apple Display old style?
I know i need a adc to dvi converter to hook up a display to the ppc mini and 12" powerbook dvi, but what do I need for an iBook? And how do iBooks deal with displays?

Jiddick ExRex
Oct 5, 2006, 02:20 PM
Can I hook up an iBook 1.33ghz to an Apple Display old style?
I know i need a adc to dvi converter to hook up a display to the ppc mini and 12" powerbook dvi, but what do I need for an iBook? And how do iBooks deal with displays?

iBooks are only built for cloning the display, you can however download and install Screenspanning Doctor for it, to get dual displays. It does affect stability on some iBook models (mine included).

thewhitehart
Oct 5, 2006, 05:23 PM
I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that the ibook only supports mini-VGA to VGA connections with the adapter it came with.

California
Oct 14, 2006, 12:34 AM
I don't need to have a different display screen on the iBook and the display -- it is only when my biz partner's eyes are tired and they need a larger screen than a 12" iBook.

So, the connection would be -- iBook 1.33ghz 12" VGA to DVI adapter -- to what on the adc to dvi connector?

So I CAN run an older plastic flat LCD Apple Display with an ADC to DVI converter box cable and an iBook and vga to dvi adapter out of the iBook alone?

Chundles
Oct 14, 2006, 01:20 AM
miniVGA -> VGA = whatever the cost is at the Apple Store.

Then you'll need a VGA -> DVI converter, these are complicated and expensive (around US$300) - note, if it's not expensive it's the wrong device. Converting an analogue signal back to digital takes some work.

Then you'll need a DVI cable and then the DVI -> ADC converter THEN you can plug the ADC connector into that converter and you're done.

Expensive, complicated and very much not worth the effort when you can just get a decent 20" LCD and plug it in using VGA. Make sure you've got Screen Spanning Doctor (do not enable clamshell mode - it's waaaay more trouble than it's worth) installed and you'll be good to go.

California
Oct 14, 2006, 01:32 AM
miniVGA -> VGA = whatever the cost is at the Apple Store.

Then you'll need a VGA -> DVI converter, these are complicated and expensive (around US$300) - note, if it's not expensive it's the wrong device. Converting an analogue signal back to digital takes some work.

Then you'll need a DVI cable and then the DVI -> ADC converter THEN you can plug the ADC connector into that converter and you're done.

Expensive, complicated and very much not worth the effort when you can just get a decent 20" LCD and plug it in using VGA. Make sure you've got Screen Spanning Doctor (do not enable clamshell mode - it's waaaay more trouble than it's worth) installed and you'll be good to go.

Yes you just articulated what I just figured out -- the VGA to ADC process very difficult. THANKS CHUNDLES