PDA

View Full Version : Is my iBook eligable for a recall?

Collin973
Oct 5, 2006, 01:48 PM
I bought a used iBook from someone that claims to have rebuilt it with a new LCD, new hard drive, a superdrive, etc and I think it is exibiting the signs of a logic board recall that is specified on apple's website. http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/ Since it's been "rebuilt" and I don't have any reciepts for it. Will apple repair the logic board under the recall? Where do I find the computer's serial number?

From what I remember, the seller put these parts on:
A new display, a new bottom case, a superdrive, hard drive, and keyboard.

The seller claimed there wasn't a problem with the iBook when he shipped it, and when I first got it, it turned on, but then half way through it froze. From then on, when I turn it on, the fans whirle like crazy but nothing happens. He said he's going to send me a new logic board for it, but as far as I know, he hasn't shipped anything yet. I thought turning to apple might be a quicker option, since I need this thing for school.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Jiddick ExRex
Oct 5, 2006, 02:15 PM
Scammed?

Collin973
Oct 5, 2006, 02:23 PM
No, I don't believe so. He claims to have been an apple certified technician and from everything he's done he seems to be a geniune guy. I found posts from him on the internet about other stuff too. He even gave me his phone number to help my trouble shoot the notebook when it arrived. He's been in good contact with me too, but he hasn't had a chance to send the logic board. I might sound niave or something, but from everything I've seen, I believe he is legit.

Jiddick ExRex
Oct 5, 2006, 02:30 PM
If it has been bought within a year, or still has Apple Care, then you are eligible for a recall I guess. That, or if Apple is really nice to you (happened to one of my friend's iBook g3). My suggestion is to call the guy since your computer died right after you bought it and get the new logic board through him, since he sounds trustworthy enough to you. My estimates on AppleCare are that it could take a biiiiiig while if you're unlucky.

Star Destroyer
Oct 6, 2006, 08:20 PM
That page says that the recall is 3 years from the first retail sale, or until march 2005...
Its way late, and unless it was sitting in a store for a while i dont think apple can do anything...