Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I saw a couple places talking about Painter 8, but I went to Corel's web site and it has nothing about it. :D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by maradong
What is the difference between corel draw and the painter?

Painter was originally a Fractal Design product. It is a "natural media" painting application. Painter allows you to pick a surface and the pigments to be applied to it. E.g., you may choose Canvas and oils. It is far more adept at creating art than any of the traditional graphics applications. Corel Draw is a vector graphics drawing application with page layout utility from Ventura Publisher, which is now known as Corel Ventura.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
To go a little more into it, Painter is one of the most amazing software products on the pro market today.

Basically it lets you turn your computer into a canvas. You can paint with any number of brushes, on any number of canvas types, and control colors and factors like how "wet" your watercolors are, how your brush affects the paint, how strong gravity is or how the water or paint flows down (or UP!!) the canvas.

Con: This is one of the most incredibly complex programs I've ever dealt with, but the control you get out of it is incredible. Try Mac Design magazine, they do some really cool stuff with painter. If you were to open every menu in Painter 7, you could easily fill up my 20" LCD with nothing but menus and not have any room for your canvas!!!

If you have a chance to use it, go for it. Just don't get discouraged, buy a book!!

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I need a paint program to do maps. I don't need all the complexity of photoshop, and I don't want the maps to look like Rembrandts either. I would like the capability of editing larger bitmaps (5000x5000 or so). Any recommendations?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by cubist
I need a paint program to do maps. I don't need all the complexity of photoshop, and I don't want the maps to look like Rembrandts either. I would like the capability of editing larger bitmaps (5000x5000 or so). Any recommendations?

I'd never suggest buying a paint program to draw maps, as enlarging them would ruin the fine work. Freehand, and CorelDraw can do multi-page vector graphics and would be nicely suited to such a thing.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Lets hope this version will run faster in OSX, it runs faster in classic than OSX. Maybe a cocoa native app, with all the nicetys OSX brings

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.