PDA

View Full Version : Which computers satisfy or strain students at Sam Houston

MacBytes
Oct 5, 2006, 02:36 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Which computers satisfy or strain students at Sam Houston (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061005153617)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

testMonkey
Oct 5, 2006, 03:26 PM
I know this is less than constructive, BUT:

what a dumb... ass... article. Make it hard and it will be hard. Make it obscure and of course no one will use it.

keysersoze
Oct 5, 2006, 03:31 PM
I know this is less than constructive, BUT:

what a dumb... ass... article. Make it hard and it will be hard. Make it obscure and of course no one will use it.

"While nearly every college student can operate an Apple iPod with their eyes closed, the vast majority of Sam Houston State University students are unable to log in to an Apple computer on campus."

Doesn't speak too highly of the intelligence level of SHSU students. Maybe they're all just retards.

Or maybe the article is, like Monkey said, just a dumbass article.

RHutch
Oct 5, 2006, 03:40 PM
That is some high-quality college journalism there. :rolleyes:

PC's are better-suited for students who need to do word processing because PC's have Word. Apparently the person who wrote the article didn't do enough research to discover that Mac's also have Word and can do word processing.

I also liked the reference to "complicated graphics programs". Is Photoshop more complicated on Mac's than it is on PC's?

FelixGV
Oct 5, 2006, 05:22 PM
I have read the first 10 or so comments on the article, and they ALL say that the article and/or the author is stupid...!

The site itself is not very ergonomic, in that you can't read the full comments without logging in. When clicking on the link for expanding one of the comments, it loads a page with the full comments but redirects you right away to a login page :rolleyes: . You need to disable JavaScript to not be redirected.

One of the best comments I've seen is by James Pharaon:

After reading this story, I'm ashamed to say that I got a my degree in journalism from SHSUand that I was ever on the Houstonian staff. Why is this the lead story? It's a biased hit piece, pure and simple and the conclusions that the author, Mr. Rhodes, comes to are ludicrous. Even as feature story, it's flimsy at best.

It's nice to know that some things don't change. Even when I was at SHSU in the '90s Computer Services had a grudge against anything that wasn't an IBM box. Of course they have to come "fix" the Macs on campus. They aren't maintained the way they should be. In one department office on campus that I am familiar with they are still running Mac OS X.1 on all their machines except one, and it's running OSX.2 - which is five years old. Apple is about to release OS X.5 in the first quarter of next year, and many, many improvements have been made to the OS in the past five years. Try driving your five-year-old car without ever giving it an oil change or a tune-up. It will break, too. But the PCs are maintained and maintained and replaced frequently. Ever wonder why they require so much maintenance? Maybe because they break down so often? That's the real "Catch .22" here.

Also, did anyone ever consider that demand for Mac usage is low because they are so hard to find, usually shoved off to a dark corner somewhere, because Mac labs have screwy hours and because Computer Services apparently requires each student to get a separate login from their PC account just to use one? How does that serve the students' needs? Why can't they figure out how to make each student's Mac login the same as their PC login? It's not hard to do. And as for getting "two or three calls a day" for help with a Mac ... ever track how many people need help in the computer lab each day with their PC? Last time I was there - which wasn't that long ago - people were still having problems and still needing help. I challenge Mr. Cuevas to put his statement to the test. Get rid of all tech support in the computer labs and then see how the help requests measure up. I don't know the ratio now, but when I was a student at SHSU the ratio of PC to Mac techs was around 15:1. My roommate was a PC tech, so that's not specualtion. I actually wrote a NEWS story about it for the Houstonian several years ago, when I was on the staff. And I used numbers to back up my story, not wild speculation and conjecture.

"Flashy visuals and complicated graphics programs?" You mean there are no flashy visuals in Windows XP? I guess looking like a Candy Land game isn't considered "flashy" these days. Yeah, the Mac OS does some really cool things, such as the "genie effect" when you minimize a window or a pop-up dock at the bottom (or left or right) of the the screen. What's so wrong with what you're looking at on the computer actually looking cool or being at least appealing?

You want to talk about complicated programs? Adobe Photoshop runs on both the Mac and the PC. I use both frequently. It takes an average of 2-3 clicks more to get things done on the PC version of Photoshop than it does on the Mac. And don't even get me started on trying to actually FIX anythng on a PC or plug in a piece of hardware and expect it to show up on your desktop without running four separate "wizards."

The conclusion that "Macintosh computers have yet to produce any real educational or basic functional value for the majority of college students" is laughable on its face. I bet Mr. Rhodes didn't know that the entire Microsoft Office suite runs on a Mac. That's right- Word, Excel, Powerpoint - everything. And it even - gasp! - PRINTS! So Macs don't do word processing? Wrong again. Heck, the files from Macs even open on PCs and vice versa with no problem at all. Same with media files. Same with image files. In the past 10 years the interchangeability of files between Macs and PCs has increased by such an exponential amount that its not even a factor anymore, proprietary files excepted.

So "more often than not, students and even faculty turn to PCs simply because they are easier and more practical to use?" Care to attribute that? Care to provide survey results to back that up? I didn't think so. The Mac OS is famous for being easy to use. So are its programs. Bundled software such as iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, Mail, Address Book, iCal are designed to be intuitive so you can just start using them without reading a manual and getting frustrated. Try importing music to your mp3 player easily with Windows Media Player. Intuitive, it isn't.

I learned to use a computer on a PC. I even had a PC in my dorm room (at Lawrence House.) But my minor was graphic design, so I had to learn to use a Mac. At the time some software wasn't even available on the PC, such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. I stuck to the Mac platform because I was able to get on to the Mac and figure it out in the matter of a few minutes. That was way back in Mac OS 7.1, too. It was just plain easier to use. Then I discovered that the way Macs handle fonts made things just look better, especially on screen. Things were easier to read on screen, and that made a huge difference. Since OS X was released, the Mac has only gotten EASIER to use. I now own three Macs and I use one at work. I'm an art director. I also use a PC when I have to because the company's servers and e-mail system where I work is Windows-based. The reason that they are is the Apple story in a nutshell.

For so long it was much CHEAPER to buy a PC. That's why PCs are so predominant. Companies and schools bought them in droves and stocked up on their tech staff to fix them. But that's not the case anymore. Price a Dell vs. a MacPro or an iMac or a Mac Mini (which retails for $500). You'll find that comparitavely, Macs are very competitive, if not MUCH cheaper in the case of higher-end machines. And they now run Windows, too. Didn't know that, did you, Mr. Rhodes? Mr. Cuevas? I didn't think so.

When I was on the Houstonian staff, the entire office was Mac-based, as was the Journalism Department. In fact, back then most of the administration, faculty and staff used Macs in their offices, with the exception of Computer Services and the Business Department. Go ask some professors who have been there for any length of time. Go ahead. I'll wait.

So as an alum, I suggest that Mr. Rhodes actually do a little bit or reasearch before writing such biased crap and trying to pass it off as a news story, much less the LEAD story. I wonder. Did Mr. Rhodes put his hypothisis to the test for this story and actually write this story on a Mac? No? Maybe this should have been a feature story called "Macs make me uncomfortable because they're not what I'm used to." Macs may require a little bit of "out of the box" thinking initially. But then again, isn't that what's SUPPOSED to be happening in an institute of higher learning?

Think different. Exactly.

winmacguy
Oct 5, 2006, 05:43 PM
"While nearly every college student can operate an Apple iPod with their eyes closed, the vast majority of Sam Houston State University students are unable to log in to an Apple computer on campus."

Doesn't speak too highly of the intelligence level of SHSU students. Maybe they're all just retards.

Or maybe the article is, like Monkey said, just a dumbass article.
And I always thought education was about "learning" ... guess not.:rolleyes:

nbaker756
Oct 5, 2006, 07:37 PM
i go to ripon college and we have one login and password to access campus pcs, macs, fileservers, and our webmail. it seems the IT people are too lazy to actually do real work to enforce compatibility...:mad:

SMM
Oct 5, 2006, 07:45 PM
They place a large Windows banner next to the article, then post an anti-Apple story. So, where is this? Texas, right? Where do they make Dell computers (and have a lot of Dell stock, Texas, right? I am shocked!

Which Dell employee placed this here?

bousozoku
Oct 5, 2006, 08:23 PM
They place a large Windows banner next to the article, then post an anti-Apple story. So, where is this? Texas, right? Where do they make Dell computers (and have a lot of Dell stock, Texas, right? I am shocked!

Dell is in Round Rock, TX, where one of the Mac clone makers used to be.

I'd say something about Texas but ignorance is universal. It's always surprising to find that Apple is some kind of computer upstart. I thought that they helped start things and later, let things go. It all depends on age, I suppose.

testMonkey
Oct 5, 2006, 10:43 PM
i go to ripon college and we have one login and password to access campus pcs, macs, fileservers, and our webmail. it seems the IT people are too lazy to actually do real work to enforce compatibility...:mad:

Brilliantly stated. I guess that was my original point (though I forgot to state it). LDAP, anyone?

Tensa *
Oct 6, 2006, 12:10 AM
At my college at MATC, a lot of the staff uses Apples. Sort of ticks me off that we, the students have about 9:1 pc to mac access. The number one problem I see with people using the school's iMacs, is them thinking that IE is the ONLY internet browser. It crashes all the time, and over half the time I have to tap the person next to me and say, don't use IE, use that compass, its called Safari and its just better. And of course most people think that PC's are easy because that is what they learn in elementary schools, which should be changed, because OS X is so much more visual.

Nermal
Oct 6, 2006, 01:19 AM

It was exactly the same when I was at Uni in 2002. One login worked everywhere, even on OS 8.6 machines.

winmacguy
Oct 6, 2006, 01:20 AM

I posted the article although I don't work for Dell:p

SPUY767
Oct 6, 2006, 06:11 AM
At my college at MATC, a lot of the staff uses Apples. Sort of ticks me off that we, the students have about 9:1 pc to mac access. The number one problem I see with people using the school's iMacs, is them thinking that IE is the ONLY internet browser. It crashes all the time, and over half the time I have to tap the person next to me and say, don't use IE, use that compass, its called Safari and its just better. And of course most people think that PC's are easy because that is what they learn in elementary schools, which should be changed, because OS X is so much more visual.

As a sys asmin, I tried for many years, unsuccessfully to discourage people from using IE, but for some reason, windows sheep just can't get past clicking that Blue 'e'. So, I install Opera, Change the Icon to the IE icon, name it Internet Explorer, place it on the desktop and in the start menu, set the registry to accept the comand 'iexplore' in the run menu to run opera instead of internet eexplorer, and voila! Now, all I hear is, "Is this the new version of Internet Explorer? It never crashes, it's faster, and its easier to use." I just let them be ignorant.

backspinner
Oct 6, 2006, 08:04 AM
The fact remains that most students have no use for the flashy visuals and complicated graphics programs that Apple's Macintoshes are so famous for carrying. They may be more appealing to the eye, but Macintosh computers have yet to produce any real educational or basic functional value for the majority of college students.

[...]

More often than not, students and even faculty turn to PCs simply because they are easier and more practical to use.

[...]

It may seem that Macs could be done away with altogether after finding that most students on-campus do not even use them. However, many courses and majors at SHSU require students to use programs only available on Macs.

Because of their editing and design capabilities, Macs are king in the world of art. Many courses and projects in the art department require the use of programs and capabilities only available on Macintoshes, giving many students a big incentive to pick the Macs over a PC.

[...]

According to Cuevas, the majority of students use the on-campus Macs for video or picture editing, which are very important components in courses for photography, advertising and even dance.

"I think they're a lot better," Chris Pry, junior mass communications major said. "They're more user friendly for Photoshop, and they process things a lot faster."

Something is definitely wrong in this article...

macFanDave
Oct 6, 2006, 04:24 PM
I logged onto the site to read the whole story using the bugmenot userid:

grouse45@ymail.com

and password: limabean (although it was not required.)

By that time 30 people had already written in to blast the piece. It's good to see that many people there were fired up enough to trash the trash.

winmacguy
Oct 7, 2006, 02:01 AM
I logged onto the site to read the whole story using the bugmenot userid:

grouse45@ymail.com

and password: limabean (although it was not required.)

By that time 30 people had already written in to blast the piece. It's good to see that many people there were fired up enough to trash the trash.
Thanks for that macfandave. I had forgotten about bugmenot:p :rolleyes: