Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
Can anyone tell me what the current video restrictions (size, bandwidth, etc) that .mac puts on posting video files?
I would love to be able to post videos of my kids for family members to see in addition to photos.
Also, .mac can be password protected, right?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Mr.Gadget said:
Can anyone tell me what the current video restrictions (size, bandwidth, etc) that .mac puts on posting video files?
I don't know of any per-file limits. The standard bandwidth cap is 10 GB/month (they really give you 5 GB every two weeks). The standard storage cap is 1 GB (for mail and iDisk combined).
Also, .mac can be password protected, right?
Yes.

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
Thanks for the info!
Can one save, say, a 3 minute clip using iMovie to .mac and have it be a reasonable size?
I'm deciding if I should give up my smugmug account in favor of .mac since I can integrate so much with it.
Thanks again!

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
I'd be whatever size on .Mac as it is on your desktop. So how large is a 3-minute video?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
use anything upto 640x480 in the homepage feature i think black large frame.

or just you rapidweaver to upload your own movie

http://www.realmacsoftware.com

:)

but you can upload anything if you want 1080p 720p 320x240 or whatever just watch out if you are using the online homepage templates as well they are dated!

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
OK! Thanks for all the info. Rapidweaver huh? I'll check it out.

Also, n-abounds, I was not referring to the physical size, like 640x480, I was looking more for compression sizes. I guess it was a poor question...

I think my best bet is to try both together and see if I get "drawn" away from Smugmug.
Thanks again!

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Mr.Gadget said:
OK! Thanks for all the info. Rapidweaver huh? I'll check it out.

Also, n-abounds, I was not referring to the physical size, like 640x480, I was looking more for compression sizes. I guess it was a poor question...

I think my best bet is to try both together and see if I get "drawn" away from Smugmug.
Thanks again!
anything you like - as long as it will play in Quicktime! (if using homepage feature)

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I have 20 MB, 9 MB and 4 MB videos on my iWeb site with no problems. Depending on the connection speed they all load just fine. Superfast on my home cable modem in fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.