Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Do you guys know if there is some actual limitation upon the single memory slot on my mac mini 1.5ghz G4 (silent upgrade)? I recall some of the old iMac G3s back in the day said they would only read 512mb total when in fact, they would read a full gig. Could it be that the G4 mini can take 2gbs on that one slot -- because I sure want to try! Here are the specs of the ram:

Viking Brand 184pin Memory Module
Works With: Apple Computer PowerMac G5 1.8GHz, 2GHz (DDR400)
Memory Speed: PC-3200 (400MHz)
Memory Technology: DDR-SDRAM
Memory Socket: DIMM
Memory Size: 2 GB
Number of Modules: 1
Memory Bandwidth: 400 MHz
Limited Warranty: Lifetime

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
1 gig not enough? I did the 1gb upgrade and am finding my 1.42ghz mini much, much faster, capable of running multiple ram hogging apps. Actually I'm overloading the processor before the memory becomes an issue. But, if it can be done, I'd like to know about it as well.:rolleyes:

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
srf4real said:
1 gig not enough? I did the 1gb upgrade and am finding my 1.42ghz mini much, much faster, capable of running multiple ram hogging apps. Actually I'm overloading the processor before the memory becomes an issue. But, if it can be done, I'd like to know about it as well.:rolleyes:

I guess it's the redundancy of my personal set up that bothers me...

I've got a 1.5ghz Powerbook 12" with 1.25ghz of ram with a 100gb 7200rpm travelstar and it runs my lcd monitor slightly faster than the 1.5ghz mac mini with the same 100gb 7200rpm travelstar hard drive because it has slightly less ram at only 1gb! I'd like to have a reason for the desktop mini -- that it is faster than when my is plugged in! I actually do notice the slowdown.

I just wonder if there is some actual hindrance on the mini that would prevent it from reading more than a gig of ram...

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Why not upgrade to an Intel Mini?

2GB stick of memory even for the obsolete ones aren't exactly cheap... besides I can run so much crap on mine and it still handles it like a champ

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
generik said:
Why not upgrade to an Intel Mini?

2GB stick of memory even for the obsolete ones aren't exactly cheap... besides I can run so much crap on mine and it still handles it like a champ

I bought the PPC Mini new last week... and didn't realize it only took 1gb.
Would have considered the purchase much more seriously if I had known about the measley one ram slot.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Won't work. MacWorld tried, no go. It's a firmware limitation, just wasn't feasible for Apple to add support for it. Plus, they don't support ECC RAM, which is what most 2GB modules are.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Dudes, thanks. Wonder if there is a firmware workaround. You know where the MacWorld article is? Memory can't be that expensive forever....

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
California said:
Dudes, thanks. Wonder if there is a firmware workaround. You know where the MacWorld article is? Memory can't be that expensive forever....

Unfortunately they can be.

DDR memory is kinda out of production, so they will stay at that level of pricing always. Don't believe me, just compare pricing between similar capacity DDR2 and DDR modules, the DDR2 modules will be cheaper every time.

Will probably stay that way until DDR (1) goes the way of Fast Paged ram and EDO ram (ie: by then even a Merom is junk)

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
generik said:
Unfortunately they can be.

DDR memory is kinda out of production, so they will stay at that level of pricing always. Don't believe me, just compare pricing between similar capacity DDR2 and DDR modules, the DDR2 modules will be cheaper every time.

Will probably stay that way until DDR (1) goes the way of Fast Paged ram and EDO ram (ie: by then even a Merom is junk)

This module seems a bit cheaper. But I still wonder if there is any Apple Firmware limitations on it?

http://shopping.redorbit.com/produc...gle&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Froogle+Feed

EDIT: Actually that was 2 X 1gb modules so forget it!

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
California said:
This module seems a bit cheaper. But I still wonder if there is any Apple Firmware limitations on it?

http://shopping.redorbit.com/produc...gle&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Froogle+Feed

EDIT: Actually that was 2 X 1gb modules so forget it!

Simpletech is not bad a brand, but never tried it with a PPC mac.

I'd be more careful when buying ram for the old Macs though, they seem extremely picky. At least now with the Intel chipsets and stuff they are taking it a lot better than they used to.

Why do you need 2gb ram exactly? There is not much that you can do with 2gb which you can't do with 1...

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
generik said:
Why do you need 2gb ram exactly? There is not much that you can do with 2gb which you can't do with 1...

That Simpletech memory was only 1gb, so not useful

Why would I want 2gbs? I guess to be faster than my 12" 1.5ghz PB that I can also plug into the mini's display?

I had no idea the PPC mini had only one ram slot when I bought it, which adds to my conflict.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Still not too late to sell it :)

A refurb core solo mini can be had from the SAVE store for pennies on the dollar.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
generik said:
Still not too late to sell it :)

A refurb core solo mini can be had from the SAVE store for pennies on the dollar.

I hate to admit it but I have a girly girl fear of Intel. Not ready yet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.