PDA

View Full Version : Debit Card Theft from powerbook sold on ebay?

patmort02
Oct 5, 2006, 09:21 PM
Hey everyone I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else before...or if this is even possible.

Over the summer I bought a new macbook for school, and sold my powerbook g4 to help pay for it. A couple weeks after selling the powerbook I checked my bank account and found that about 800 dollars had been stolen from my account. Someone had gotten a hold of my debit card number.

I reinstalled mac osx, making sure to delete the previous version before shipping it off. Is it still possible for whoever i sold the powerbook to to get my information like that, or was that just a strange coincidence?

Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with a matter such as this.

shakerbaby
Oct 5, 2006, 10:04 PM
I know you can get software that recovers deleted data however you can also get eraser software that completely wipes from the HD whatever you request. So maybe someone recovered your deleted data.

Aperture
Oct 5, 2006, 10:13 PM
I know you can get software that recovers deleted data however you can also get eraser software that completely wipes from the HD whatever you request. So maybe someone recovered your deleted data.

Not likely, but def. possible.

Really when you sell a computer you should wipe out the ENTIRE HD.

The guy would have to be really good with macs to get the info though.

shakerbaby
Oct 5, 2006, 10:23 PM
Not likely, but def. possible.

Really when you sell a computer you should wipe out the ENTIRE HD.

I am new to Macs so was primarily talking from a PC view although I am sure there is similar software out there.

robbieduncan
Oct 6, 2006, 04:25 AM
Did you accept payment via PayPal? Did you sell for $800? If the answer to both of the questions is yes then the person you sold it to has probably disputed it with PayPal, you have not responded and PayPal have refunded his money from your account...

patmort02
Oct 6, 2006, 07:31 AM
I used paypal to accept payment, but it was for around $1,050.00, not $800.

robbieduncan
Oct 6, 2006, 07:47 AM
I used paypal to accept payment, but it was for around $1,050.00, not $800.

I'd still log into your Paypal account and check. What was the exact line on your bank statement for this -$800 transaction?

patmort02
Oct 6, 2006, 06:29 PM
There was a deposit of $1,032.94 into my bank account. The 800 dollars was actually a series of about 25 different transactions. My debit card number was used to pay for things such as long distance phone calls, prepaid phones, and gamefly/blockbuster online services. Basically whoever did this, took my debit card number and used it to pay for a bunch of personal expenses.

generik
Oct 6, 2006, 06:49 PM

Negative, you just need to be pretty good at stripping apart a PBG4.

Hey everyone I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else before...or if this is even possible.

Over the summer I bought a new macbook for school, and sold my powerbook g4 to help pay for it. A couple weeks after selling the powerbook I checked my bank account and found that about 800 dollars had been stolen from my account. Someone had gotten a hold of my debit card number.

I reinstalled mac osx, making sure to delete the previous version before shipping it off. Is it still possible for whoever i sold the powerbook to to get my information like that, or was that just a strange coincidence?

Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with a matter such as this.

Have you tried disputing the fraudulent charge?

Music_Producer
Oct 6, 2006, 06:52 PM
There was a deposit of $1,032.94 into my bank account. The 800 dollars was actually a series of about 25 different transactions. My debit card number was used to pay for things such as long distance phone calls, prepaid phones, and gamefly/blockbuster online services. Basically whoever did this, took my debit card number and used it to pay for a bunch of personal expenses.

It probably has nothing to do with your powerbook.. although if it does, I don't know why you would store your debit card number on your laptop. Anyway, I hope you have called the bank and they have frozen your card. This happened to my wife as well, someone from Estonia was using her card. Turned out that there were similar complaints from other local customers, and there was a store with a fradulent pin-pad involved.

So you probably used your debit card at some stores which might have these contraptions installed.

bluerazr
Oct 6, 2006, 08:41 PM
Turned out that there were similar complaints from other local customers, and there was a store with a fradulent pin-pad involved. So you probably used your debit card at some stores which might have these contraptions installed.

This happened to me in Dallas/Ft Worth too, and I was shocked! I get sms messages when I spend anything and I am glad I caught it at the very first sign of trouble, lost 50 bucks...:(

kgarchar
Oct 6, 2006, 10:43 PM
people suck

that's pretty whack that happened. i was at the bank once and someone picked up a $20 i dropped, then lied to me about it, super lame

xfiftyfour
Oct 6, 2006, 10:59 PM
my fiance's and my bank account just recently got taken. fortunately the guy was dumb and tried to do some really big transactions rather than small ones. the first one he did for more than $1000 and that cleared, so he assumed we had a ton in the account, and proceeded with a bunch more at varying amounts, just trying to get some through.

our bank obviously caught the red flags, though, and notified us before we'd even noticed it. they put a hold on the card, refunded our money, and sent us a new card all within a week.

what was creepy, though, is that the transactions occurred just after we'd left the mall, from the same mall we'd left.. so it was apparant that he'd probably followed/watched us. :eek: