Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I currently am a PC user and use dreamweaver to design and update a few websites that I have built. I am thinking of switching to the mac platform. Will the mac-native dreamweaver version be able to read all of my pc dreamweaver files when I transfer them across hassle free?

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
kdum8 said:
I currently am a PC user and use dreamweaver to design and update a few websites that I have built. I am thinking of switching to the mac platform. Will the mac-native dreamweaver version be able to read all of my pc dreamweaver files when I transfer them across hassle free?
Of course.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for the welcome nightelf.

How does Dreamweaver on the mac compare to windows? Often ported software loses some useability or functionality? Is it more or less the same experience?

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
The Mac and PC versions both have almost identical functionality, but there are some GUI differences, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Keep in mind that Dreamweaver is still not a universal binary, meaning that it will not perform at full speed on Intel Macs.

EDIT: One could point out to my old thread here. Although I still think it doesn't look like a Mac application, it still works and functions like the Windows version.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
kdum8 said:
Thanks for the welcome nightelf.

How does Dreamweaver on the mac compare to windows? Often ported software loses some useability or functionality? Is it more or less the same experience?
The mac version isn't as solid as the PC version. Personally, I see that as a good reason to dump dreamweaver in the first place. :D

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for that radiantm3,

is it really much more substandard? It is the only web development tool that I have bothered to learn and have found it to be easy to use. Does anyone around here use Dreamweaver for the mac in that case? Is it sufficient for your needs?

What mac alternatives do people recommend/use regularly? Is there anything which is as easy to use as dreamweaver, only my html isn't so hot.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I usually use a text editor for web pages, but I've used Dreamweaver MX briefly for Windows and Mac and could find no differences other than GUI. I haven't used the newest version and I haven't tried it on an Intel Mac though, but it was good.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
kdum8 said:
Thanks for that radiantm3,

is it really much more substandard? It is the only web development tool that I have bothered to learn and have found it to be easy to use. Does anyone around here use Dreamweaver for the mac in that case? Is it sufficient for your needs?

What mac alternatives do people recommend/use regularly? Is there anything which is as easy to use as dreamweaver, only my html isn't so hot.
Dreamweaver is definitely usable on the mac. All the features are there. It's just quite a bit slower than the windows version, and the UI is very clunky. This is coming from someone who used dreamweaver on the PC for 4 years and just couldn't stand it when I switched to the mac platform about 3-4 years ago.

Dreamweaver is a windows app that's ported to the mac without much thought. I feel the same way with all the macromedia apps on the mac. I hope adobe spends more time making the mac versions better.

If your coding skills aren't so hot, then I can't really recommend anything else other than dreamweaver :p , but I highly recommend practicing writing your own markup as that ability will open up a whole world of software options as well as your skills as a web designer.

If I were to give my own biased advice, I'd say pick up the book Designing with Web Standards by Jeffrey Zeldman, as well as a license of Textmate. Start learning to hand code as well as build CSS-based layouts because that is the future and if you don't start now, you will just be left behind in a few years. But what do I know? :cool:

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I have no trouble with Dreamweaver on the Mac. Used it on the PC at first, then I switched to Mac. I still use it all the time. Really have no complaints other than the fact that it's not yet Universal, making it sort of slow on my Intel iMac.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for all the responses guys, very helpful :)

I imagine that the next release of dreamweaver for mac will be designed for the intel macs?

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
I've used Dreamwearer on the PC, and have upgraded to Dreamweaver Studio 8 for the mac. I run it on my iBook G4. It is great. No complaints, and frankly I think it is better then on the PC.

ddekker

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2006
Michigan
mac/pc

HTML is HTML.. you'll be fine.... as far as that goes... on the other front you will run into a million and one things in your switch... I started a website just for that reason... check it out and see if anything helps

DD

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Ive used Dreamweaver 8 on both platforms and I think the Mac version is much better. The user interface is easier to use and I've seen the PC version spit out some funky code that looked more like what I would expect from FrontPage. But anyway, as most people on here have said, you will have no problem switching your files from PC to Mac. After all, they are just HTML files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.