PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake a rippin’ good app for 5G iPod owners

MacBytes
Oct 6, 2006, 07:59 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: Handbrake a rippin’ good app for 5G iPod owners (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061006085943)
Description:: "Macsimum News" reviews the Handbrake DVD "ripping" tool.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Chundles
Oct 6, 2006, 08:06 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: Handbrake a rippin’ good app for 5G iPod owners (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061006085943)
Description:: "Macsimum News" reviews the Handbrake DVD "ripping" tool.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

It is really due an update to support 5G (late 2006) iPods. It's a pain in the arse doing a 100% quality rip in Handbrake followed by a Quicktime Pro "Export to iPod" conversion.

Handbrake rocks though, top app.

Oct 6, 2006, 08:09 AM
It is really due an update to support 5G (late 2006) iPods. It's a pain in the arse doing a 100% quality rip in Handbrake followed by a Quicktime Pro "Export to iPod" conversion.

If you do it correctly there is no need to do a Quicktime Pro "Export to iPod" conversion. I don't have to for my 5th Gen iPod.

Chundles
Oct 6, 2006, 08:19 AM
If you do it correctly there is no need to do a Quicktime Pro "Export to iPod" conversion. I don't have to for my 5th Gen iPod.

Yeah but Handbrake doesn't yet support H.264 encoding at 640xWhatever for the 5G (late 2006) iPod because it doesn't support the "Baseline LC" codec.

The difference is chalk and cheese, the new format is so much better than before. Once HB is updated to support Baseline LC H.264 everything will be tickety-boo.

MacBoobsPro
Oct 6, 2006, 08:27 AM

There was a thread about a new version of HB either being released or soon to be. does that not support H264?

BTW Did you get banned or something Chundles? Havent seen you around for a while. :D

Chundles
Oct 6, 2006, 08:31 AM
There was a thread about a new version of HB either being released or soon to be. does that not support H264?

BTW Did you get banned or something Chundles? Havent seen you around for a while. :D

No, not banned, a relative (very distant, didn't know them very well but it affected my Mum and Nan very badly) committed suicide and I've been up with the family for a while. While I was away I forgot to pay my phone bill and Telstra disconnected my phone.

Back up and running now though, waiting on a new HB build to come out.

Yvan256
Oct 6, 2006, 08:37 AM

I don't know what Quicktime Pro does that HandBrake doesn't, but HandBrake rips won't play on my Nintendo Play-Yan micro. Quicktime Pro exports, though, play just fine. Too bad Quicktime Pro sucks at exporting in MPEG-4. The "key frame: automatic" feature is broken for low bitrates, I get "video noise" every second or so, it's like the keyframe only has 500 bytes or something.

MacBoobsPro
Oct 6, 2006, 08:42 AM
No, not banned, a relative (very distant, didn't know them very well but it affected my Mum and Nan very badly) committed suicide and I've been up with the family for a while. While I was away I forgot to pay my phone bill and Telstra disconnected my phone.

Back up and running now though, waiting on a new HB build to come out.

Oh, well then, im sorry to pry and condolences to you and your family. :o

Chundles
Oct 6, 2006, 08:52 AM
Oh, well then, im sorry to pry and condolences to you and your family. :o

No need to apologise mate, it's not my first rodeo so to speak, I come from the area with the highest rate of youth-suicide in the world so it may sound a bit un-feeling but I'm pretty dis-affected by the whole thing.

I'm more annoyed at Telstra for disconnecting my phone on a long weekend. Sorry if that sounds cold but the suicide didn't affect me personally, just my Mum and her parents who knew the person (who was my age by the way) and I know they're strong enough to get through it.

All back up and running now though. I really would like to replace my 3G iPod now, might go smash the credit card tomorrow.... maybe...

MacBoobsPro
Oct 6, 2006, 08:55 AM
No need to apologise mate, it's not my first rodeo so to speak, I come from the area with the highest rate of youth-suicide in the world so it may sound a bit un-feeling but I'm pretty dis-affected by the whole thing.

I'm more annoyed at Telstra for disconnecting my phone on a long weekend. Sorry if that sounds cold but the suicide didn't affect me personally, just my Mum and her parents who knew the person (who was my age by the way) and I know they're strong enough to get through it.

All back up and running now though. I really would like to replace my 3G iPod now, might go smash the credit card tomorrow.... maybe...

Sorry to hear it. But I understand what you mean. Anyhoo... lets not hijack the thread. My bad... carry on people nothing to see here!

Smash that card up REAL nice Chundles.

Chundles
Oct 6, 2006, 09:03 AM
Sorry to hear it. But I understand what you mean. Anyhoo... lets not hijack the thread. My bad... carry on people nothing to see here!

Smash that card up REAL nice Chundles.

Tell ya what, it's really tempting....

QTPro exports from 100%-quality HB rips look superb - once HB supports the new format it'll be really tough to resist. Ah well, it's my birthday next month... :D

twoodcc
Oct 6, 2006, 10:12 AM
Tell ya what, it's really tempting....

QTPro exports from 100%-quality HB rips look superb - once HB supports the new format it'll be really tough to resist. Ah well, it's my birthday next month... :D

i'm pretty sure that my ipod video played a movie that was encoded with HB. i just did the regular H.264 at 1500 kbps

Pistol Pete
Oct 6, 2006, 04:21 PM
i'm pretty sure that my ipod video played a movie that was encoded with HB. i just did the regular H.264 at 1500 kbps

i KNOW mine has.

Nermal
Oct 6, 2006, 04:35 PM
QTPro exports from 100%-quality HB rips look superb

Same here. I've had no success with making iPod-compatible video directly from HB though.

Have you run into a problem when doing a 100%-quality encode, where HB will hang at 100% completion, then eventually quit itself? The resulting file is unplayable. I've had this happen for two full-length movies (which are so far the only movies I've tried), but it's never happened for shorter content such as music videos.

TomSmithMacEd
Oct 6, 2006, 05:24 PM
Handbrake will be the number one reason why I'm pumped for the iTV. Take a dvd.. rip it onto computer... watch it anytime.

terrabytejoe
Oct 7, 2006, 06:05 PM
i KNOW mine has.

Probably, but was it 640x480?

generik
Oct 7, 2006, 06:09 PM
Handbrake will be the number one reason why I'm pumped for the iTV. Take a dvd.. rip it onto computer... watch it anytime.

I hope the iTV isn't locked to a specific format, so that basically we can use it as a wireless Mac-TV "thing"

Chundles
Oct 7, 2006, 06:10 PM
Same here. I've had no success with making iPod-compatible video directly from HB though.

Have you run into a problem when doing a 100%-quality encode, where HB will hang at 100% completion, then eventually quit itself? The resulting file is unplayable. I've had this happen for two full-length movies (which are so far the only movies I've tried), but it's never happened for shorter content such as music videos.

Nope, not had that problem but then on my 1.2GHz G4 I'm not game to even attempt an iPod export of a full-length video. It takes me around 4 hours to get a single 20-minute episode of Scrubs from DVD to iPod format.

And I don't even have a 5G iPod, I'm doing this in preparation for my degree next year which will involve spending 20 weeks travelling around the country on a bus and staying in tiny little outback towns. I'm going to need something to watch to take my mind off the hangover.

twoodcc
Oct 7, 2006, 06:11 PM
Probably, but was it 640x480?

yes it was. that's the standard mpeg-4 format

Chundles
Oct 7, 2006, 06:15 PM
yes it was. that's the standard mpeg-4 format

Wait, so was it MPEG-4 or H.264 you used for encoding? Because MPEG-4 should still work as-is, it's H.264 that's in question because of the new Baseline LC version Apple is using that Handbrake doesn't yet support.

Try one with the following settings, no need to rip the whole thing just enough to transfer and try:

640x480
.mp4 format
H.264 encoding AAC audio
1.4mbps video
128kbps audio
Baseline Profile

If that works correctly I'll be very happy.

twoodcc
Oct 7, 2006, 08:32 PM
Wait, so was it MPEG-4 or H.264 you used for encoding? Because MPEG-4 should still work as-is, it's H.264 that's in question because of the new Baseline LC version Apple is using that Handbrake doesn't yet support.

Try one with the following settings, no need to rip the whole thing just enough to transfer and try:

640x480
.mp4 format
H.264 encoding AAC audio
1.4mbps video
128kbps audio
Baseline Profile

If that works correctly I'll be very happy.

i'm pretty sure i used H.264 when i ripped my dvd. i used 1500 kbps
i'll double check when i get a chance though

amin
Oct 7, 2006, 10:48 PM
5.5G iPods support the following video:

1) H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

2) H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

3) MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

The current standard version of Handbrake can do #2 and #3 but not #1. This is unfortunate because #1 offers better file sizes for the same quality as compared with #3.