PDA

View Full Version : OmniWeb 4.2 released, 4.5sp1 WebCore-based OmniWeb available to registered users!

simX
Apr 9, 2003, 02:06 PM
Woohoo! I'm writing this from the first publicly available WebCore-based OmniWeb, on version 68 of WebCore, no less! It seems snappier than the last time I used OmniWeb, but it definitely is still slower than Safari, and sometimes chokes on pages. But it looks like it's a much more compatible release with many more web pages, which is definitely a plus with OmniWeb.

I haven't done any rigorous testing with any websites, but if you want me to do some, I could potentially do it when I have the time. I'm really curious as to the performance improvement in this OmniWeb, too, in a quantitative way.

All in all, I just have to say that I'm really looking forward to the OmniWeb 4.5 final release, because it's definitely going to be good (I really don't use SnapBack or Tabbed Browsing that much, but I definitely need the rest of the pro features like ad blocking and such).

sparkleytone
Apr 9, 2003, 02:29 PM
yeah definitely give us a minireview on what you think of it. it interests me definitely, since i like the way omniweb looks and feels, but its rendering engine has always been so shoddy.

GeeYouEye
Apr 9, 2003, 02:54 PM
You don't need to be registered. Just go to the sneakypeek site. ;)

EDIT: Okay it does need a license. My bad.

My (extremely) mini-review: I still like OmniWeb 4.2's renderer better... a bunch of text shows up fuzzy in 4.5. and it has all the same layout problems of Safari, especially at places like www.trekbbs.com

alset
Apr 12, 2003, 07:41 AM
Wow, I can't believe how fast these windows scroll! It's an amazing thing. If only Camino was this snappy, or OmniWeb had Camino's rendering speed. Hey, this browser has a built in spellcheck. This rocks! No wonder I used to love OmniWeb so much.

So close in such important places, yet to far.

Dan

Catfish_Man
Apr 12, 2003, 02:38 PM
Actually the fast scrolling really annoys me. I wish they had a pref to control the scrolling speed, or at least slowed it down a bit.

simX
Apr 13, 2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by alset
No wonder I used to love OmniWeb so much.

I love rediscovering a browser like OmniWeb.

I'm still using Safari quite a bit because OW 4.5sp4 still has a bunch of crashing problems and still isn't as fast as Safari.