PDA

View Full Version : iDVD and choppy video in the final product

Stormybot
Oct 6, 2006, 01:32 PM
This is my first post on MacRumors. I am a big fan of the site and have been reading for years but have never posted.

Anyways, I will get to the point. I just got a high end Mac Mini with the dual layer DVD burner on Sunday and I had some old DVD's that I recorded using a Panasonic DVD Recorder that I wanted to combine on one DVD. They are all sports videos so there is a lot of fast motion and such. I wanted to burn them on my Mac Mini because I wanted to add chapters and do a little editing. So I got the multiple DVD's and and used Mac The Ripper to grab the .VOB's off each one. Then I dropped it into Drop2DV and then edited the resulting .dv files in iMovie. My final movie was about 2 hours and 30 minutes. So I put it into iDVD, made a nice new motion menu with Scene Selections and everything. When I burned to a dual layer DVD+R DL using "Best Quality" because it is so long and played it on my Mini, it played great. However, when I take it to one of my other two DVD players (the Panasonic and the other is a Samsung), the parts that have fast motion (which is most of it since it is all sports stuff) are very very choppy and it is really annoying.

Does anyone know why this happens? Is there a setting in anything that I can change to fix this? This was one of my main reasons for getting the mini. I wanted to consolidate a number of my DVD's. Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if there is any other information that you need. And no, it was not a fluke thing because I tried to burn another video to a DVD-R and the fast parts in that video where choppy as well. I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Carl Spackler
Oct 6, 2006, 04:17 PM
That's odd indeed. I'd try making a the movie shorter in lenth to be able to burn it to a single layer DVD. I'd want to know if those parts play the same on a single layer DVD.

LethalWolfe
Oct 6, 2006, 04:24 PM
To add to what Carl said, have you had problems playing burned DVDs in your stand alone players before? If you've switched what brand blank DVDs you use that could be it too.

Lethal

Stormybot
Oct 6, 2006, 04:59 PM
Wow. Thanks for replying so fast guys. I appreciate it.

Yes, this has always been the case with iDVD for me. Even on my 12" Powerbook when I just burned on regular single layer DVD's. So even DVD's that were less than an hour or a little longer have this issue. It's just that most of my home movies do not have a lot of fast motion. I even tried ripping and burning an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation that I own onto a single layer DVD as a test and during the fast parts, it was very choppy. For example, the beginning credits when the Enterprise flies by, it is choppy or when the planets fly by in the credits. And this is only on stand alone DVD players that are hooked up to TV's. One is brand new too. On my Mini, the DVD's play perfectly.

Anyways, these sports recordings have a lot more fast motion so now it is more obvious than ever. But iDVD has always done this to me and is doing it to me again on my Mac Mini.

Oh, and I am using Memorex DVD+R DL discs. They are these (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=SEARCH&Ntt=memorex+dvd+dl&N=0&Dx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&D=memorex+dvd+dl&Ntk=All&product_code=318729&Pn=2_4x_DVD_R_DL_Media).

I was hoping that I was not alone and was hoping that it was just a fluke with my old Powerbook. But it is doing it on my new desktop too now.

Arnaud
Oct 7, 2006, 02:50 PM
Hi,

I can only confirm that I have the same problems (via iMovie and iDVD).

When I edit videos, from a camcorder or an analog source, the DV file goes ok on the mac, even the finished dvd is perfect on the mac BUT the finished DVD is choppy on a stand-alone player.

The videos are about Aikido, and the faster motion parts present a ghost effect, or something as if the frames were interverted (1-3-2-4, if that makes sense).

Well, all in all, not good.

No solution yet, but I'll work on my next project using Final Cut Express at a friend's, to see if it changes something ?

Suggestions welcome...

Stormybot
Oct 7, 2006, 03:21 PM
Hi,

I can only confirm that I have the same problems (via iMovie and iDVD).

When I edit videos, from a camcorder or an analog source, the DV file goes ok on the mac, even the finished dvd is perfect on the mac BUT the finished DVD is choppy on a stand-alone player.

The videos are about Aikido, and the faster motion parts present a ghost effect, or something as if the frames were interverted (1-3-2-4, if that makes sense).

Well, all in all, not good.

No solution yet, but I'll work on my next project using Final Cut Express at a friend's, to see if it changes something ?

Suggestions welcome...

Let me know if you figure out a solution. I know it is iDVD now because I used Toast 7 to create the DVD and it worked fine. I would just like to keep my iDVD menus because they look so nice.

LethalWolfe
Oct 7, 2006, 03:26 PM
What versions of iDVD are you guys using?

Lethal

Applespider
Oct 7, 2006, 03:30 PM
I do recall getting choppy video once - over transitions - in iDVD when using Best Performance. When I switched over to best quality, I got rid of those glitches.

However, I finally got round to burning a DVD in iDVD 6 last week in widescreen which led to some odd flickering along the edge of the black lines which wasn't there in the original footage. Very odd... I plan on re-rendering and burning to see if it happens again.

Arnaud
Oct 7, 2006, 03:56 PM
I use iLife'06, and I've been burning DVD's with 2 different burners (Imac's and external LaCie); I also burned via iDVD directly, or to a disc image, and then via Toast; no difference either with single or dual layer.

The setting is normally on Best Quality, I could try to switch it to Best Performance ?

But any new attempt takes some time...

But once again: the "faulty" dvd's run correctly on the iMac though, via DVD player.

DrRock
Oct 7, 2006, 03:58 PM
"Oh, and I am using Memorex DVD+R DL discs."

I have had nothing but problems with Memorex discs, CDs, DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, whatever. On PC and Mac. I will never buy memorex again. I know some people have said they work just fine, but I stay away from them.

"the "faulty" dvd's run correctly on the iMac though, via DVD player."

I've had that problem. It has something to do with the disc image being created on the Mac, so the Mac player recognizes it and plays it just fine, but the disc doesn't work on an external player. My players give me the "no disc" or "bad" or "C: 00:13:00" or whatever message when I try to play the discs. This might be what's happening to you.

Arnaud
Oct 7, 2006, 04:24 PM
"the "faulty" dvd's run correctly on the iMac though, via DVD player."

I've had that problem. It has something to do with the disc image being created on the Mac, so the Mac player recognizes it and plays it just fine, but the disc doesn't work on an external player.

I guessed that much. I just wish there were a fix somebody knew of.
And: it's not only from an image, also when burnt directly from iDVD.

Stormybot
Oct 8, 2006, 01:52 PM
Ok. I built a small project in iMovie (about 10 minutes of video) and used iDVD to create the menus and such. When I burn from iDVD 6, I get the choppy/ghost images. However, I took the exact same iMovie project and burned it from Toast 7, it plays beautifully. So it has to be something in iDVD, but I do not know what.

1) Is there any way to burn an iDVD project in Toast?
2) Is there any setting that I may be missing in iDVD?

Arnaud
Oct 8, 2006, 02:23 PM
Ok. I built a small project in iMovie (about 10 minutes of video) and used iDVD to create the menus and such. When I burn from iDVD 6, I get the choppy/ghost images. However, I took the exact same iMovie project and burned it from Toast 7, it plays beautifully. So it has to be something in iDVD, but I do not know what.

1) Is there any way to burn an iDVD project in Toast?
2) Is there any setting that I may be missing in iDVD?

Thanks for the test, it's pretty much what I expected, and you saved my time by doing it for us :)
How did you burn the iMovie project on Toast, did you export it as mpg or something first ?

I'm working for Pal output (as I live in Europe), can people confirm whether it's an NTSC/PAL related problem ? Are NTSC-users also concerned ?

Stormybot
Oct 8, 2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the test, it's pretty much what I expected, and you saved my time by doing it for us :)
How did you burn the iMovie project on Toast, did you export it as mpg or something first ?

I'm working for Pal output (as I live in Europe), can people confirm whether it's an NTSC/PAL related problem ? Are NTSC-users also concerned ?

I am using NTSC and have the same issues as you. If you put your iMovie project in your Movies folder, you can select it from Toast 7 to burn to a DVD and just use their menu styles. Sadly, they are not as fun as iDVD's styles but it does not look like Toast 7 can burn iDVD projects.

I wish iDVD would just work. My project looks horrible when burned from iDVD.

Dave00
Oct 9, 2006, 02:33 PM
I do recall getting choppy video once - over transitions - in iDVD when using Best Performance. When I switched over to best quality, I got rid of those glitches.
Usually when one gets problems with burned DVD's, especially with motion/moire, the Performance/Quality setting is the culprit (in my experience.) However, sounds like this was already addressed. Another concern would be the refresh rate on the viewing monitor. If your computer monitor has fast refresh and your TV model is an older LCD, you can see some significant degradation on fast motion. However, that again wouldn't explain the normal results from Toast. Hmm.

Dave

Stormybot
Oct 9, 2006, 03:56 PM
I would like to note that Arnaud is right. When burned in iDVD, the motion frame by frame is like this:

Frame 1
Frame 3
Frame 2
Frame 4
Etc.

When burned from Toast, it is better, but still like this:

Frame 1
Frame 1
Frame 2
Frame 2
Etc.

I am at a loss. No matter what I burn, it is like this.

Arnaud
Oct 9, 2006, 04:08 PM
If your computer monitor has fast refresh and your TV model is an older LCD, you can see some significant degradation on fast motion.

Ah! My TV is still a CRT model !!! :D
Sony 16/9, 32", it was great technology 3 years ago, and also quite expensive...
Oh well, it still works fine, and nobody will steal it...

Regarding the frames, I'm glad Stormybot confirms the "1-3-2-4" impression.
I'll do some re-encoding, with different settings, this week hopefully...

First one to get an answer, please don't forget us ! :)

Stormybot
Oct 13, 2006, 03:49 AM
Ah! My TV is still a CRT model !!! :D
Sony 16/9, 32", it was great technology 3 years ago, and also quite expensive...
Oh well, it still works fine, and nobody will steal it...

Regarding the frames, I'm glad Stormybot confirms the "1-3-2-4" impression.
I'll do some re-encoding, with different settings, this week hopefully...

First one to get an answer, please don't forget us ! :)

Any luck Arnaud? I had some better results with Toast, but I sure would like to be able to use iDVD's menus. No matter what I do, fast motion in DVD's created with iDVD are jittery.

Arnaud
Oct 15, 2006, 05:15 AM
Any luck Arnaud? I had some better results with Toast, but I sure would like to be able to use iDVD's menus. No matter what I do, fast motion in DVD's created with iDVD are jittery.

I haven't had enough time this week... and I'm away for the week-end (currently answering from my pda !!!).

I'm however thinking about what I should try first... Any test will take some time.

What could we focus on ?

Encoding with Toast an image created with idvd still presents the same issues, so it must be the proper encoding with idvd.

I usually import the imovie file in idvd, and let idvd do the whole job of encoding. Has anyone tried to import in idvd a movie created in imovie but exported first to, er, mpeg-1 or something ? I wonder if it's possible to skip a re-encoding of the movie files by idvd, so that it just builds the menus instead.

I've got some project coming up, that's a good opportunity to try. Maybe also with FCE for the import file.

Arnaud
Oct 18, 2006, 11:05 AM
...Just fooling around, but there's a setting in iMovie (Preferences / Playback / Quality), which could be close to our problem.

The setting "Highest (Field Blending)" seems to be doing what we are complaining about, i.e. blending the fields... Maybe "Standard" or "Better" would be accurate for fast-moving movies.

...Now, does it go so far as to reach a finalized DVD ? And it doesn't seem to explain why problems would not appear with dvd's burned with Toast. :confused:

Anyway, I'll give a try now to encoding with this setting. Never know :)

Arnaud
Oct 19, 2006, 01:44 PM
Hello, here is an update on my (lack of) progress.

My problems are usually happening with a dvd burnt:
- from a DV tape recorded with my DV camera,
- imported into iMovie (settings: project frame rate 29.97, playback Highest),
- then imported into iDVD and burnt either directly via iDVD or via an image and then Toast (settings: PAL, High Quality).

I tried to fumble the settings, on an already existing file, with:
- in iMovie, playback at standard (on the odd chance it'd be involved in the exported movie),
- in iDVD, the High Performance.
I burnt the DVD via image and then Toast.

The result is as much a problem as usual, besides my hopes :(
The active parts are choppy, just like usual - although the image, when mounted and played in DVDPlayer instead of my real dvd player & tv set, plays perfect and not choppy.

It seems to me that field blending / different frequencies is the culprit, but I don't know how to act on that. No settings available on my dvd player or my tv to change that.

My last point of hope, maybe: setting in iMovie a new project frame rate of 25fps, then create a new file and import from the dv tape. But that means re-importing my other files etc... (The project frame rate selection seems to be only for new projects, not an option on already-existing projects).

(...) Just checked the Help of iMovie, and this hope is gone too:

iMovie HD automatically detects whether your DV format is NTSC or PAL, and detects the frame rate of your camera, so you don't need to specify these items.

At times you may create a project that doesn't use a video camera as an input device. For example, you might create a slideshow of iPhoto images with transitions and music. In this case, you can specify the video format that you want the project to have (even though you're not importing from a video device.)

Oh rats...
Anybody luckier ? :(

Arnaud
Oct 19, 2006, 01:52 PM
Of interest:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=694117&tstart=0

Arnaud
Oct 19, 2006, 01:59 PM
And another one, from this thread:
(The full context can be found in the forum).

...This material didn't exhibit the flickering problems, so the problem seems to be inherent in the transcoding from MPEG2 to DV...

It is possible that the path we chose (whatever-to-mpeg2-to-dv) mixes up some of the settings.

...But even if the source of the problem is found, and some steps might be skipped in the future (like trying to avoid DV, maybe by buying the Apple Mpeg-2 codec?), it doesn't tell me what to do with my 13 hours of already-edited footage and 5 consequent dvd's :( :(

Arnaud
Oct 21, 2006, 03:42 PM
...I'm the last one on this thread, but I use it to keep a log of my thoughts...

I tried using Toast instead of iDVD to import my iMovie file and burn a DVD. The result is much better: no choppy motion, and also better-looking titles (i.e., sharper).

I think that's the end of iDVD for me. It's sad though, I'd like to use a real all-in-one solution, iMovie-iDVD, as advertized for iLife, but the results of iDVD just don't provide the expected result. :mad:

Stormybot
Oct 26, 2006, 04:37 PM
...I'm the last one on this thread, but I use it to keep a log of my thoughts...

I tried using Toast instead of iDVD to import my iMovie file and burn a DVD. The result is much better: no choppy motion, and also better-looking titles (i.e., sharper).

I think that's the end of iDVD for me. It's sad though, I'd like to use a real all-in-one solution, iMovie-iDVD, as advertized for iLife, but the results of iDVD just don't provide the expected result. :mad:

Arnaud, Sorry that I left ya hanging there. I did previously try ALL of the things that you tried with no success. Using Toast made perfect video but I missed the cool menus that i could create in iDVD. But that was going to be my solution until I picked up a Canopus ADVC110 and used that to import the video from my camera or VCR or whatever. It imported into iMovie with no configuration, I was able to edit it, share to iDVD, create my menu and burn to a DVD. The result? PERFECT! So I have been using that. I guess iDVD didn't like things that were imported straight from Firewire or ripped from a DVD. So with the ADVC110 as the middle man, it did all the conversion for me and there is no choppy motion even during the fastest of scenes. The darn thing was about $200 on Amazon though but having already converted 5 full games to DVD with no issues or hassle, it was well worth it.

I don't know if this answers any of our questions on why Toast would be able to burn these videos fine but iDVD would not, but I know that I am much happier now with my Mac Mini.

Thanks for all of your input. I'm glad that I was not the only one having the issue because then it would mean that it was a problem with my Mini alone. Instead, it is something with iDVD I guess. But my solution helped me a lot.

Arnaud
Oct 27, 2006, 04:40 AM
No worries, Stormybot, I know you'd already gone though all the steps, I was just doing the same to be sure all my paths were covered... :p

I was only hoping for a deus-ex-machina post from someone, saying "I got it, the solution is only to change the [bleep bleep bleep] setting in iMovie/iDVD...".
But no, no such luck :o

I'm glad you could find a way to bypass your issues !

And indeed, the issue is not only your machine, but many other users have mentioned it. Maybe a correction in a future version? I still think it's something wrong about the fps at a stage...

sandman42
Nov 3, 2006, 06:22 PM
I record in EyeTV using standard DVD-quality MPEG-2 compression: 1.8Gb/Hr, 720x480, 29.97fps, etc.

If I watch that in EyeTV it looks great.

I export that as DV (approx 12Gb/Hr, 720x480, 29.97fps), so I can edit the adverts and add chapter markers in iMovie. The .DV file that EyeTV creates looks fine in QT, full-screen: good resolution, smooth video.

I import that into iMovie and edit. The imported video looks just as good (and if I extract the iMovie DV file from the iMovie project package, it looks great in QT).

I burn the movie to a disk image with iDVD. When I watch the VIDEO_TS folder using DVD Player on my computer, it looks pretty good. I can see some interlacing (fine horiz lines in the image), but the video looks smooth.

If I burn that disk image to a real DVD and watch it in my newer, progressive scan DVD player and LCD TV, it looks terrible. Any fast motion has terrible artefacts and looks really choppy. It bugs my eyes so much it's essentially unwatchable. I don't have this problem at all with commercial DVDs.

I just tried turning off the 'progressive scan' feature on my DVD player -- no help.

Then I tried pausing the video on my DVD player, and using the 'step' button to step through the video. I noticed something interesting: I would get 3 steps in a row that were fine, but the 4th and 5th steps flickered, as though they jumped forward then slipped back quickly. It would repeat this cycle of 3 ok steps and 2 flickery steps consistently. Don't know what that means, though.

sandman42
Nov 3, 2006, 07:11 PM
I've been reading some other material on this issue (seems a lot of people have it), including the Apple Forum link elsewhere in this thread. I'm going to try extracting the MPEG-2 file from the EyeTV archive and converting it using StreamClip (have to buy the QT MPEG-2 component first). This sounds promising. I'll post back after I try it.

Arnaud
Nov 5, 2006, 11:12 AM
I record in EyeTV using standard DVD-quality MPEG-2 compression: 1.8Gb/Hr, 720x480, 29.97fps, etc....

Welcome to the club, I think we're all talking about the same problem here...

Any solution is welcome, although I'd like it to be as simple as should the "digital hub" be, esp. when considering the use of iLife.

One comment though about your use of EyeTV: there's a good option for editing and removing the ads inside of EyeTV, which would keep the mpeg-2 compression, you're aware about that? I don't think you can add chapters though.

sandman42
Nov 5, 2006, 03:59 PM
Welcome to the club, I think we're all talking about the same problem here...

Thanks! Sorry, uh, to have to be here, but I'm glad I have company...

Any solution is welcome, although I'd like it to be as simple as should the "digital hub" be, esp. when considering the use of iLife.

I couldn't agree more. I want something that is consistent with my expectation about my Apple experience: things just work.

One comment though about your use of EyeTV: there's a good option for editing and removing the ads inside of EyeTV, which would keep the mpeg-2 compression, you're aware about that? I don't think you can add chapters though.

Thanks, I have used the EyeTV editor a lot, but have lately been preferring using iMovie because: to my knowledge you can't add chapter markers as you can in iMovie (which is important to me), and because you have much more control with iMovie, as you can edit down to the frame (EyeTV's editor is somewhat coarser).

lorductape
Nov 5, 2006, 06:36 PM
just switch to dvd studio pro

sandman42
Nov 6, 2006, 04:39 AM

Ok, I'm interested. What are the advantages of DVD Studio Pro? Will it accept my existing MPEG-2 stream without re-encoding? That would be really nice.

Hrm, I don't see DVD Studio Pro at the Apple store. Regardless, I think it's probably way more expensive than I want to spend for what I'm doing, and I wonder if it'll even run on my hardware.

I just wish there was some way I could get the nice quality MPEG-2 that EyeTV produces into iDVD without a bunch of quality loss or other weirdness. That just doesn't seem like so much to ask.

Arnaud
Nov 6, 2006, 06:46 AM

Uh, not exactly an answer to our problem.

DVD Studio Pro is a part of the $1299 Final Cut Studio package. Should that really be the only option for a simple mpeg2-to-dvd option ??? Then I wonder what is the point of iDVD at all. :rolleyes:

Stormybot
Nov 8, 2006, 07:11 PM
Uh, not exactly an answer to our problem.

DVD Studio Pro is a part of the $1299 Final Cut Studio package. Should that really be the only option for a simple mpeg2-to-dvd option ??? Then I wonder what is the point of iDVD at all. :rolleyes:

Hey Arnaud, I am still using my Canopus ADVC110 and it has been working great. Especially for pulling video from my DVR (for the user trying to do that). At about $200, it was well worth the money. I agree that paying $1300 to get your hands on DVD Studio Pro is not the best solution. And while mine was not cheap, I am just happy to finally have a solution that works. I figure it had to be something with the way the video was encoded in the first place. The fact that Toast could produce video that was perfect quality makes me think that Toast simply has a way to get around this problem and iDVD does not.

But using my DVR > Canopus ADVC110 > iMovie > iDVD > Burned DVD solution works great.

My DVR > DVD+RW > Ripped DV video > iMovie > iDVD > Burned DVD solution did the same thing you are talking about.

BTW, for those wondering why I would burn to a DVD+RW and just to go through all the steps to burn to another DVD, I wanted to put longer video on a DVD-R DL. So it would be about 2 DVD's worth of video.

Plus, my working solutions saves me sooooo much time now. I check this thread every now and then to see if anyone came up with a real solution though. Just curiosity at this point.

TastyCakes
Nov 14, 2006, 04:48 PM
I have edited many things in iMovie and I have never had this problem when burning a Dvd with iDVD with the what I have done. If it's only imported footage from an external device then I guess you have figured it is most likely the way iMovie encodes dv. I generally edit appropriated footage (stuff that's been outputted already such as a dvd, mov etc.) and it looks fine. I'm not sure but it doesn't look like you have tried exporting as a different file first before hitting iDVD.

If you were to export as a .mov and then drag and drop that .mov into iDVD you shouldn't encounter any problems with ghosting, flickering etc. If you don't want to compress your movie then you can try exporting as Full Quality first to your desktop then drop the .dv file into iDVD. That might not work as the issue might be with iDVD being unable to properly execute .dv files. If you aren't blowing up the screen really large or you aren't so picky about some quality loss from compression then try making .movs and then putting them into iDVD.

jasonXterra
Nov 16, 2006, 06:05 PM
I've been reading some other material on this issue (seems a lot of people have it), including the Apple Forum link elsewhere in this thread. I'm going to try extracting the MPEG-2 file from the EyeTV archive and converting it using StreamClip (have to buy the QT MPEG-2 component first). This sounds promising. I'll post back after I try it.

This software solution totally works!

Here's my project: I have about 40 DVDs of company projects we've done in the past. We wanted a highlight DVD reel made of selected segments, so I ripped the DVDs on my iBook G4 and saved them as DV files. Used Final Cut Pro to cut them up, saved again as DV files. Imported them into iMovie, made my chapter markers, imported that into iDVD, and I would get terrible flicker on motion graphics or anybody moving across the screen.

Passing the edited segment DV file into MPEG Streamclip, here's the settings I chose to get the best results:

- Export to Quicktime
- Compression: Apple MPEG4 Compressor
- Quality: 100%
- Frame Rate: 29.97
- Frame Size: 720x480 (DV-NTSC)
- Selected Frame Blending, Better Downscaling, and Deinterlace Video

Presto! "Make Movie!"

sandman42
Nov 18, 2006, 08:33 PM
I have edited many things in iMovie and I have never had this problem when burning a Dvd with iDVD with the what I have done. If it's only imported footage from an external device then I guess you have figured it is most likely the way iMovie encodes dv. I generally edit appropriated footage (stuff that's been outputted already such as a dvd, mov etc.) and it looks fine. I'm not sure but it doesn't look like you have tried exporting as a different file first before hitting iDVD.

If you were to export as a .mov and then drag and drop that .mov into iDVD you shouldn't encounter any problems with ghosting, flickering etc. If you don't want to compress your movie then you can try exporting as Full Quality first to your desktop then drop the .dv file into iDVD. That might not work as the issue might be with iDVD being unable to properly execute .dv files. If you aren't blowing up the screen really large or you aren't so picky about some quality loss from compression then try making .movs and then putting them into iDVD.

Not sure who you're responding to, but with all due respect I don't think the problem is as simple as you make it out to be. I've tried many export/import methods, and specifically when I export from EyeTV as DV (full quality), then import that into iMovie for editing, then pass that to iDVD the results are terrible. There is something that happens with DV from certain sources (I keep reading about 'field dominance', but I don't really know what that is), that causes this problem; other people claim that it doesn't happen when using DV from other sources, such as specific brands of DV camcorders.

Lately I've been exporting the raw MPEG-2 program stream from EyeTV (so no transcoding), then re-coding that to DV using Streamclip, then editing the DV with iMovie and making my DVDs with iDVD. This seems to produce good results.

GITANAJAVA
Jan 11, 2007, 08:53 PM
Not sure who you're responding to, but with all due respect I don't think the problem is as simple as you make it out to be. I've tried many export/import methods, and specifically when I export from EyeTV as DV (full quality), then import that into iMovie for editing, then pass that to iDVD the results are terrible. There is something that happens with DV from certain sources (I keep reading about 'field dominance', but I don't really know what that is), that causes this problem; other people claim that it doesn't happen when using DV from other sources, such as specific brands of DV camcorders.

Lately I've been exporting the raw MPEG-2 program stream from EyeTV (so no transcoding), then re-coding that to DV using Streamclip, then editing the DV with iMovie and making my DVDs with iDVD. This seems to produce good results.

Well, here we are in January 2007 and the crux of this thread -- "how do we mere mortals with reasonable expectations of iDVD's wonderful features MAKE IT WORK?" is still unanswered. Search my entries on this subject for the past few days, posted in various forums, you'll see. Arnaud, et al., did you ever come up with a solution? Hoping.....

dolphin842
Jan 11, 2007, 09:45 PM
Just to throw another voice in the ring...

I have used a Canopus ADVC-55 for all my iMovie/iDVD projects so far and have avoided the problems being talked about here. It's a little cheaper than the ADVC-110, for those looking to take the DV bridge out of town...

That said, I think iDVD 6 is a messed up piece of software. Though I've not had the specific fast-motion problem here, I have had problems with GUI refresh rates (0.5 fps when working with a normal 1.5 hour project), and having the 'encoding audio' stage take forever. iDVD also has for me tended to ignore user specifications for the length of motion menus, defaulting each menu to 15 minutes in length (or the length of the menu song, or just a random portion of the song). DVD menu navigation has also been messed up. Not to get off on a tangent here, but I just think that the specific issues reported in this thread are part of much larger quality control problems for the app.

It makes me want to upgrade to iDVD '07.... but then I wonder if we'll just get more of the same...

dolphin842
Jan 11, 2007, 09:59 PM
I saw someone earlier mentioned field dominance... this very well may be what's at play here. Here is an excerpt from the Final Cut Express manual (http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Final_Cut_Express_HD_User_Manual.pdf) on field dominance (the whole section can be read on page 1153). Apparently one can change the field dominance using MPEGstreamclip... I've not done this myself, but for those still reeling from this problem, it may be worth a shot:
Field dominance is an issue when recording and playing back interlaced video material. With progressive video, there is only one way to play back a video frame: Start at line 1 and scan until you reach the last line. With interlaced video, the video player must choose whether to scan the odd lines first, or the even lines. In other words, each time a frame is displayed, which field should be played first, field 1 or 2? This is totally dependent on which field was recorded first.

Each field is a snapshot in time, so if field 1 is recorded earlier in time than field 2, field 1 must be played back before field 2. If the wrong field order is chosen, each frame’s fields plays backward in time, even though each frame as a whole still moves forward. The effect is a very noticeable stutter happening 60 (NTSC) or 50 (PAL) times a second. Each piece of video equipment and each video format has a preferred field dominance. This prevents you from editing two field 2s back to back, and makes sure that each field is played back in the right order.

Tedward
Apr 3, 2008, 03:41 AM
Okay, I don't know how many people this will help, but Perian 1.1 Quick Time component seemed to be the issue. I removed the component, restarted and the jitters went away.

GITANAJAVA
May 4, 2008, 05:43 PM
Okay, I don't know how many people this will help, but Perian 1.1 Quick Time component seemed to be the issue. I removed the component, restarted and the jitters went away.

Anyone else try the Perian fix? Did it solve the issue?

Thanks, all! ;)

spilth
Aug 17, 2008, 01:25 PM
I have been experiencing the "choppy DVD" issue with iMovie 08 and iDVD 08. I had Perian installed and after removing it iDVD is now making non-choppy DVDs. Woo! :)

onlymac
Sep 1, 2008, 07:37 AM
Splith, are you actually playing back these choppy DVD's on a standalone DVD player or other system and seeing this choppiness, or are you playing back only on your Mac? The issue with Perian 1.1 may be a playback issue not an iDVD encoding issue. Just a thought.

spilth
Sep 1, 2008, 11:05 PM
I experienced choppiness when playing back the DVDs on both my Mac and on standalone DVD players including an XBox 360 and a regular old DVD player (not sure of the brand/model).

After removing Perian and re-burning the DVDs, I no longer get choppy playback on the Mac or 360.

onlymac
Sep 1, 2008, 11:11 PM
thanks for the confirmation. good info.

dandelvec33
Sep 3, 2008, 04:07 PM
I experienced choppiness when playing back the DVDs on both my Mac and on standalone DVD players including an XBox 360 and a regular old DVD player (not sure of the brand/model).

After removing Perian and re-burning the DVDs, I no longer get choppy playback on the Mac or 360.

I removed Perian in an effort to boost framerate, and it was successful as well. However, now I lost my sound. The DVD I'm trying to create via iDVD contains .avi files. Should I convert these to something else?

boonleng
Sep 8, 2008, 12:54 PM
I too, had the same experience... after removing Perian 1.1 and ran iDVD again, the newly created DVD plays smooth on my iMac, MacBook Pro and the Sony DVD player in the living room.

Gbassani
Sep 9, 2008, 12:24 PM
I just bought a Sony HDR-SR12 and I had the same choppy results on moving images. I had used iMovie 8 for editing, QT 7.5 pro for exporting files. After several attempts I got very satisfactory results by: Share, export using QT - Export movie with QT - Options: setting compression H264, frame rate 60, size HD 1920x1080 16x9 - I found the frame rate very critical. Hopefully this will be of help. Good luck. Giovanni.

dandelvec33
Sep 10, 2008, 02:06 PM
I just bought a Sony HDR-SR12 and I had the same choppy results on moving images. I had used iMovie 8 for editing, QT 7.5 pro for exporting files. After several attempts I got very satisfactory results by: Share, export using QT - Export movie with QT - Options: setting compression H264, frame rate 60, size HD 1920x1080 16x9 - I found the frame rate very critical. Hopefully this will be of help. Good luck. Giovanni.

Curious, Gbassani, did you keep Perian installed when you achieved a successful burn in iDVD?

Gbassani
Sep 12, 2008, 11:10 AM
No, I did not use Perian.

thekillers
Oct 24, 2008, 08:28 PM
Hello there, i'm going bold pulling my hair because i have this problem. Could you please help me in letting me know what i have to do step by step... PLEASE HELP