PDA

View Full Version : What's this iBook worth?

tech4all
Oct 6, 2006, 06:30 PM
Thinking of getting this used 12" iBook G4 that was purchased in June of 2004. Just wondering what you all thought it might be worth.

Here are the specs of the iBook (purchased for $1099 according to Apple-History.com):

iBook G4 1.0Ghz (12" screen)
256MB RAM
30GB hard drive
OS X Panther
Millc cables that came with it (mini VGA to regular VGA cable, power adapter, etc)

Other items that may be included:

Carrying bag (purchased for $80)
Logitech optical mouse with scroll wheel (purchased for $30)
JBL speakers, no subwoofer (purchased for $75)

It was very lightly used and is in practically new condition. There is no Bluetooth or Airport included. If I did get it I will be upgrading the RAM to at least 512MB and may get an Airport card for it.

Thanks for any info :)

iGary
Oct 6, 2006, 06:36 PM
~$500 - $600

dukebound85
Oct 6, 2006, 06:36 PM
Thinking of getting this used 12" iBook G4 that was purchased in June of 2004. Just wondering what you all thought it might be worth.

Here are the specs of the iBook (purchased for $1099 according to Apple-History.com):

iBook G4 1.0Ghz (12" screen)
256MB RAM
30GB hard drive
OS X Panther
Millc cables that came with it (mini VGA to regular VGA cable, power adapter, etc)

Other items that may be included:

Carrying bag (purchased for $80)
Logitech optical mouse with scroll wheel (purchased for $30)
JBL speakers, no subwoofer (purchased for $75)

It was very lightly used and is in practically new condition. There is no Bluetooth or Airport included. If I did get it I will be upgrading the RAM to at least 512MB and may get an Airport card for it.

Thanks for any info :)

400-500ish i would imagine

just a little bit more than an ipod..... sad isnt it

tech4all
Oct 6, 2006, 07:20 PM
Alright thanks guys. The common price here seems to be ~$500. This is roughly the range I was thinking. The price could change if I decide not to get some of those extra items (not sure about the speakers).

If anyone else has any other estimates feel free to post.

Thanks again! :)

California
Oct 6, 2006, 07:36 PM
Alright thanks guys. The common price here seems to be ~$500. This is roughly the range I was thinking. The price could change if I decide not to get some of those extra items (not sure about the speakers).

If anyone else has any other estimates feel free to post.

Thanks again! :)

If you really want it, offer 425, then add a new superdrive, new hard drive (I have a new Seagate 80gb 5400 for 85 bucks - but wasn't writing to tell you that, already in MrktPlace) and 1gb of ram. I did that to this same machine and man, the difference was astounding. Having a superdrive in an iBook kills, btw, makes it into a powerbook! Then sell the combo & 30gb hd on Craigslist.

tech4all
Oct 26, 2006, 03:51 PM
As mentioned, the iBook has 256MB of RAM. I would like to upgrade the RAM to at least 512MB. But would 768MB be that much better?

Here's a summary of what I will do with the iBook:

Internet
Email (probably just web-based)
iChat
iTunes
MS Office 2004

I may uninstall most of the other iLife apps, including:

iDVD (iBook doesn't have SuperDrive)
iMovie (Never used it)
Garageband (Rarely use it)
iPhoto (Use it a lot, but I use PM G5 for that)
I may look into uninstalling other stuff like languages and drivers that I don't need to converse HD space.

However that's not including Tiger. I still have licenses for Tiger to use (Family pack). So if I did install Tiger, is 512MB RAM enough for what I will do with it? I guess my basic question when considering everything here, will 768MB be that much better than 512MB? Would it even be worth the extra money?

Thanks for reading all that! :)

dmw007
Oct 26, 2006, 08:58 PM
$400-$500 seems like a decent value for the iBook G4 in question.

512MB of RAM would be okay for your stated tasks, but 768MB would be marginally better. :)

tech4all
Oct 27, 2006, 12:27 AM
512MB of RAM would be okay for your stated tasks, but 768MB would be marginally better. :)

Thanks for the info. Sorta leaning towards 512MB if 768MB will only be marginally better. Especially since it's going to be my main machine. Maybe I can put the extra savings towards more RAM for my Power Mac G5. :D